Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Old May 12th 2010, 11:14 pm
Nova Scotia

MrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant future
Default Re: Love Canada, not sure about the people

Swiss Chalet kind of reminds me of a Sobeys chicken... except at Sobeys 10 bucks gets you the whole chicken... both are good tho.
Old May 12th 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I think the main differentiator here that yourself, Bramley, and others fail to see is the replies toward genuine substantive opinions and the replies toward crass, uneducated generalisations such as "All Canadians are rude and two faced" or "Only university educated people can appreciate the arts".

Let's get something straight here.
I personally understand the difference. Don't try and lump me in with some other "gang". The fact is the people who get it in the neck because somewhere along the line they've made some, quite often, ridiculous post are not part of any virtual group or bunch of online friends.

What I was trying to clarify are the reasons people post on here. And the fact that sometimes the posts may be ill-conceived or badly worded but what usually happens then is certain other posters gang up on an individual and treat every post from them with contempt. There's no need really, is there.
Old May 12th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I do have a problem when one group starts to harass or belittle another group or individual, but we cant be here 24/7(and wouldnt want to) so we rely on people to report posts that appear out of order so that we can make a decision on whats appropriate. However there are supermods scattered around the worlds time zones, so chances are any reported post will be seen by someone fairly quickly. If no one reports anything (and recently thats been pretty much the case) we can only assume that the people using the forum have no problem with the current level of banter/ humour/ intensity.

Cliques though are inevitable as people become familiar with the posting style of others around them I think.
Thank you Iain. This does happen. I hate to say it but I think that sometimes those who are getting the stick keep coming back for more.
Why? Because maybe this is the closest thing to a bunch of...ahem..."friends" that they've got.

Now, where did I put that "barf" smiley...
Old May 12th 2010, 11:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBeaver
Swiss Chalet kind of reminds me of a Sobeys chicken... except at Sobeys 10 bucks gets you the whole chicken... both are good tho.
Why do they call a family style restaurant? If its because the food is like the stuff you cook at home, why not stay at home and eat crap food? I always thought you went out to dinner for food that's not your speciality? This family restaurant business here in Canada is weird.
Old May 12th 2010, 11:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Thank you Iain. This does happen. I hate to say it but I think that sometimes those who are getting the stick keep coming back for more.
Why? Because maybe this is the closest thing to a bunch of...ahem..."friends" that they've got.

You might be over-thinking this just a tad.
Old May 13th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You might be over-thinking this just a tad.
Suggesting that some people who come on here are masochists you mean?

Well, in a virtual sense only of course...(possibly).
Old May 13th 2010, 12:14 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

That's me.
Old May 13th 2010, 4:54 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
That's me.
Me too!
Old May 13th 2010, 8:32 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I personally understand the difference. Don't try and lump me in with some other "gang". The fact is the people who get it in the neck because somewhere along the line they've made some, quite often, ridiculous post are not part of any virtual group or bunch of online friends.

What I was trying to clarify are the reasons people post on here. And the fact that sometimes the posts may be ill-conceived or badly worded but what usually happens then is certain other posters gang up on an individual and treat every post from them with contempt. There's no need really, is there.
Oh dear.

First off, when you're named with others this doesn't necessarily "lump" you with a gang. It can possibly be used as an example.

Secondly, i do actually think you're unable to differentiate between my points. If you look back at the replies toward those giving tangible opinions and those who provide intangible generalizations (often bordering on rude), you'll notice a vast difference. In both aspects people retort with counter opinions but the tone and "ganging up" tend to be quite different.

Finally, if people are not prepared to stand their ground or at the very least do their own research before posting on a site with such high traffic then they need to, as may of us should, think before they do so.
Old May 13th 2010, 10:36 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also like to add, i do agree with you regarding the cliques. I find it quite amusing.

Since i couldn't edit my previous post; to clarify, my reply was based upon this comment

"...it seems that when someone outside of that "clique" says something that doesn't tie in with the beliefs or experiences of those particular people, or is considered general knowledge by them, then sarcasm, snide remarks, cryptic comments and just plain nastiness ensue from their quarters all of which gets the backs up of newer, shall we say "less-experienced" forum members who will then, understandably, get a bit of a strop on thus opening themselves to mockery from the "clique"."

Last edited by el_richo; May 13th 2010 at 10:39 am.
Old May 13th 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Cliques though are inevitable as people become familiar with the posting style of others around them I think.
^ This in spades.

Cliques happen everywhere - from at the school gate, or at work, to down the pup and online.

And no forum is immune to them from what I can see.

I used to use a website where cliques were called Quiche... I have been in a couple of quiches myself
Old May 14th 2010, 12:13 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chookie
^ This in spades.

Cliques happen everywhere - from at the school gate, or at work, to down the pup and online.

And no forum is immune to them from what I can see.

I used to use a website where cliques were called Quiche... I have been in a couple of quiches myself
which brings us back to bacon again
Old May 14th 2010, 3:12 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
which brings us back to bacon again
boom boom >