Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Love Canada, not sure about the people

I think Swiss Chalet offers an acceptable low-cost product in the context of being an eat-in fast food joint. The restaurants are clean, comfortable, receptive to disabled people and offer beer and wine. The food quality and the speed of service is erratic but it's cheap and they willingly replace anything the customer finds unacceptable. Swiss Chalet compares favourably to, for example, KFC.

Swiss Chalet delivery however is bizarre. The food is always cold and the volume of packaging horrendous.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chookie
Mr Chookie won't even entertain the idea of eating in a Swiss Chalet...

In his first job over here, he was sent to fix a printer in the kitchen in one (one of those printers they use to print the order tickets out I imagine). Before going, he was warned to walk carefully as the floor was likely to be greasy (apparently it was so coated in grease it was like a skating rink! ) and the printer in question was totally clogged with fat and grease and that was why it was not working!

I think the experience put him off ever eating there!
The one in a town not far from here has a pretty filthy takeout section. So mucky that I refused to order any food from there.

I tried the chicken in the one at Sunnybrook, it was ok, fries were good, but that sauce is weird. I thought it was expensive too.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I tried the chicken in the one at Sunnybrook, it was ok, fries were good, but that sauce is weird. I thought it was expensive too.
Yeah that sauce. What's that all about then?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
I could share with you on that sauce however, you might throw up.....
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Canadas contribution to world cuisine.

I used to hate it, but its grown on me and I quite like it now. Its a worry.

Have to say for once I agree entirely with dbds comments.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

The one in a town not far from here has a pretty filthy takeout section. So mucky that I refused to order any food from there.

Thought it was just me. The food was OK in SC (thought it was a bit like old people's food like ABC), but that gravy was foul. We've never been again. What would be so wrong about normal, decent, tasty gravy. Not sure what the hell makes that gravy taste so bad, and they make it out to be so 'special'. Yeah so special I wouldn't feed it to a dog.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:10 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/dai...grino-top-100/
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:24 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Thought it was just me. The food was OK in SC (thought it was a bit like old people's food like ABC), but that gravy was foul. We've never been again. What would be so wrong about normal, decent, tasty gravy. Not sure what the hell makes that gravy taste so bad, and they make it out to be so 'special'. Yeah so special I wouldn't feed it to a dog.
For a start it isn't gravy. It's dipping sauce ! Lovely grub !!!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

The OP isn't the only woman to comment that women here have Stepford wife tendencies. It isn't my experience though over here in Ontario. Where is the OP living??
In my experience (ON too), is that the Canadian women i have met have their men running around after them! Some work some don't but they have lots of money to be out doing their nails etc.
One thing that suprises me and perhaps it is because of where i have ended up is quite a snobby attitude. All i seem to hear is about which private school their kid attends, what big shot takes there daughter to the same school, what huge house there friend lives in (and i thought the UK had a class society).
Also and as much as i like these people and they have been friendly to us, a quite bitchy attitude to other people, parents and kids etc! Its starting to put me off them.

The majority of Canadians i have met though are friendly enough, but difficult to peel past the first layer and develop proper friendships with.

To the OP, maybe it is the part of Canada you live in and try not to worry about it, people are people the world over.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Cambridge is considered GTA now? That's a stretch isn't it?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
One thing that suprises me and perhaps it is because of where i have ended up is quite a snobby attitude. All i seem to hear is about which private school their kid attends, what big shot takes there daughter to the same school, what huge house there friend lives in (and i thought the UK had a class society).
To be fair, Oakville has a lot of very conspicuous prosperity.

I sat in the tim hortons on saturday eating my $5 lunch and counted the porsches go by! In half an hour I also saw two bentleys and a ferrari too. Lots of money, that was my impression.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

I sat in the tim hortons on saturday eating my $5 lunch and counted the porsches go by! In half an hour I also saw two bentleys and a ferrari too. Lots of money, that was my impression.
Lots of money, but absolutely no class.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Do lawyers live there
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do lawyers live there
Couldnt afford to unless they are senior partners was my impression
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
For a start it isn't gravy. It's dipping sauce ! Lovely grub !!!
Dipping sauce. More Canadian nonsense. It's wet and you eat it with your food, ditto gravy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.