Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Old May 11th 2010, 8:55 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Love Canada, not sure about the people

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
I'll agree with Bramley here.

I've been a member of this forum for ages now and there is a certain "clique-iness" amongst certain members that has developed over the last two or three years especially; it seems that when someone outside of that "clique" says something that doesn't tie in with the beliefs or experiences of those particular people, or is considered general knowledge by them, then sarcasm, snide remarks, cryptic comments and just plain nastiness ensue from their quarters all of which gets the backs up of newer, shall we say "less-experienced" forum members who will then, understandably, get a bit of a strop on thus opening themselves to mockery from the "clique".

Sorry to say, Bramley, you've fallen into that trap.

Another mistake those from outside of the "clique" often make, is to indulge in idle, inane chit-chat on the forum, for whatever reason. Maybe they want to ask peoples' opinions about something the "clique" find irrelevant, maybe they're missing the idle gossip of the office they left behind in Blighty, maybe in real-life they just like to engage in useless small-talk and this is their outlet for that. This will inevitably lead to accusations of trolling and the usual put downs will follow, once again annoying the person to the extent where they will appear to lose it, cue more pointing of fingers and guffawing from the in-crowd.

I must say though, this forum is extremely tame and forgiving compared to others I'm on. Just steer clear of football sites if the teasing and shaking of virtual heads here gets your goat.
thats me then
Old May 11th 2010, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
thats me then
that red was a bit annoying. you wanna talk inanely about it?
Old May 11th 2010, 11:29 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

oooh me quotes have gone funny

any way - no more inane banter for me - am off to discuss Chinese architecture - toodle pip
Old May 12th 2010, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

I've been a member of this forum for ages now and there is a certain "clique-iness" amongst certain members that has developed over the last two or three years especially; it seems that when someone outside of that "clique" says something that doesn't tie in with the beliefs or experiences of those particular people, or is considered general knowledge by them, then sarcasm, snide remarks, cryptic comments and just plain nastiness ensue from their quarters all of which gets the backs up of newer, shall we say "less-experienced" forum members who will then, understandably, get a bit of a strop on thus opening themselves to mockery from the "clique".

Another mistake those from outside of the "clique" often make, is to indulge in idle, inane chit-chat on the forum, for whatever reason. Maybe they want to ask peoples' opinions about something the "clique" find irrelevant, maybe they're missing the idle gossip of the office they left behind in Blighty, maybe in real-life they just like to engage in useless small-talk and this is their outlet for that. This will inevitably lead to accusations of trolling and the usual put downs will follow, once again annoying the person to the extent where they will appear to lose it, cue more pointing of fingers and guffawing from the in-crowd.

I must say though, this forum is extremely tame and forgiving compared to others I'm on. Just steer clear of football sites if the teasing and shaking of virtual heads here gets your goat.
Thanx Mr Lee, some people are afraid to even post something like that on here...I'm in the "storming" stage of emigrating and the "cliche" do enjoy feeding off that I guess. The only reason I don't bite to ALL the shitty comments is because I have a life beyond BE and in all honesty it's so easy to act like a tit behind a computer screen...some people need to get a life, it's actually quite fun.
Old May 12th 2010, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
Well said.

I've not read all the thread, but if anyone feels they are being unfairly picked on or abused then they should report [!] it if they expect anything to be done about it, thats the only way to be sure that the mods will cast an eye over it.

We dont read every post made here, we are like the general population and just read the threads that are likely to be of interest to us, so probably not even a tiny fraction of the posts truth be told.
The only reason I don't report is because I want new comers to see what they're up against when posting...it's called watching someone back.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:23 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main differentiator here that yourself, Bramley, and others fail to see is the replies toward genuine substantive opinions and the replies toward crass, uneducated generalisations such as "All Canadians are rude and two faced" or "Only university educated people can appreciate the arts".

Old May 12th 2010, 9:25 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bramley
The only reason I don't report is because I want new comers to see what they're up against when posting...it's called watching someone back.
Surely that's worse than reporting? I'd have thought reporting somebody would lead to their posting less vitriol due to potential disciplinary action?
Old May 12th 2010, 9:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth is that helpful?! If forum mumbers don't report any abuse/bullying then we're often not aware of it, so it makes it worse for the newbies, not better.

If you feel that somebody is breaking the site rules and actually take the time to report it, then we can take any action we feel is necessary and hopefully make the site a nicer place for everybody.
Old May 12th 2010, 12:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont understand either.

Im not saying that action will be taken on all reported posts anyway, sometimes it looks like miscomunication or a sense of humour failure to those not involved directly, but if there is a pattern of abusive behaviour from any poster here, old or new, we will address is, but only if we know about it! How are you watching someones back by sitting back while they take a beating
Old May 12th 2010, 12:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The clique thing was always apparent here, as long as I can recall. Different faces here now in the most part, but there are still several distinct groups of friends here as far as Im concerned, and the inevitable personality clashes that go with that. In reality there are several cliques with common time lines or common experiences or common views and opinions, its just human nature to club together with people you see eye to eye with.

I dont have a problem with that, but I do have a problem when one group starts to harass or belittle another group or individual, but we cant be here 24/7(and wouldnt want to) so we rely on people to report posts that appear out of order so that we can make a decision on whats appropriate. However there are supermods scattered around the worlds time zones, so chances are any reported post will be seen by someone fairly quickly. If no one reports anything (and recently thats been pretty much the case) we can only assume that the people using the forum have no problem with the current level of banter/ humour/ intensity.

Cliques though are inevitable as people become familiar with the posting style of others around them I think.
Old May 12th 2010, 1:20 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Cliques though are inevitable as people become familiar with the posting style of others around them I think.
Or have got to know them in real life
Old May 12th 2010, 1:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Souvy
Or have got to know them in real life
That too.
Old May 12th 2010, 1:48 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

That's three posts from you without an edit. I can do it if you want.
Old May 12th 2010, 1:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Souvy
That's three posts from you without an edit. I can do it if you want.
It really is me, honest!
Old May 12th 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

dubbed is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been in Canada since Feb 09 and absolutely loving the country, the people however are a different story. Although we have met some of the most amazing people we're still wondering whether the majority are two faced and arrogant...Canadians need to take a chill pill
Going back to the first post - My wife is Canadian, and doesn't look a bit like Celine Dion. Seriously, she loves being in the kitchen!

NB: While this is tongue in cheek, both are actually true.

I'll get my coat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.