Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Love Canada, not sure about the people

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
Yep but then it doesn't help that you have a large loan already weighing you down. How expensive is Uni in the UK?
Depends how much time you spend in the student union bar Probably pretty similar levels of debt by now at a guess.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

I have posted on a few different boards over the years and this is by far the most aggressive to new people that I have ever come across.

This seems to be a board where a lot of people don't want opinions they want platitudes. It shows a startling lack of intelligence by some, but not all people.

I have noticed the bright sparks though.

I have a lot of self confidence and I love to argue in a friendly way and I love it if people have a different view point because it stimulates wit and discussion and a lot of people here do get that. However, some people seem to be seriously offended by other peoples opinions when it isn't their own. The problem is that this board has too many of those people.

I'm thinking it's age, too many older folk not that I'm such a spring chicken.

Look at the sparkling wit and repartee of the UK Guardian board for how it should be done!!!

Anyway, my opinion {ducking and shaking with fear} is that Canadians for the most part are nice. They don't show their feelings as much as Brits and I often notice, in Ontario particularly, that they often scowl or seem aggressive when they interact with you. However, I have come to realise that this is often a problem of fear and low self esteem with them this exterior often hides a very kind heart.

A lot of them are simple too, liking what I consider very dull. They don't like to debate except the very odd person who is usually out the mainstream.

The way to really get on with a Canadian is to love hockey and know millions of stats about games and players. To think going to Tim Hortens is a real treat and Denny's is a gourmet delight. To shop in Walmart with them and marvel at the deals and to own George Jones cd's and love nascar.

There are the intelligensia though and often they are a true delight. I love, love, many Canadians.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate 17
Look at the sparkling wit and repartee of the UK Guardian board for how it should be done!!!
Are you callidice?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I have posted on a few different boards over the years and this is by far the most aggressive to new people that I have ever come across.

This seems to be a board where a lot of people don't want opinions they want platitudes. It shows a startling lack of intelligence by some, but not all people.

I have a lot of self confidence and I love to argue in a friendly way and I love it if people have a different view point because it stimulates wit and discussion and a lot of people here do get that. However, some people seem to be seriously offended by other peoples opinions when it isn't their own. The problem is that this board has too many of those people.

Anyway, my opinion {ducking and shaking with fear} is that Canadians for the most part are nice. They don't show their feelings as much as Brits and I often notice, in Ontario particularly, that they often scowl or seem aggressive when they interact with you. However, I have come to realise that this is often a problem of fear and low self esteem with them this exterior often hides a very kind heart.

A lot of them are simple too, liking what I consider very dull. They don't like to debate except the very odd person who is usually out the mainstream.

The way to really get on with a Canadian is to love hockey and know millions of stats about games and players. To think going to Tim Hortens is a real treat and Denny's is a gourmet delight. To shop in Walmart with them and marvel at the deals and to own George Jones cd's and love nascar.

There are the intelligensia though and often they are a true delight. I love, love, many Canadians.
Thats like saying Britain is full of people who know nothing but footy and love a good fight outside the boozer on a friday night after getting tanked up on cheap lager and buying a stolen car stereo from some dodgy bloke in the car park. Its so clearly a lowest common denominator stereo type that frankly its offensive (or should be) to anyone with half a brain.

Canadians have the same breadth and diversity as any other nation, there are good ones and bad ones, smart ones and thick ones. I find if they are scowling while Im talking to them they are generally just concentrating on trying to understand my accent! As a sweeping generalisation if they dont know a person well then they have the manners to not risk offending a stranger by getting into an argument with them and perhaps saying that they think their ideas are idiotic...

To be honest you have come across as being offended by other peoples dissenting opinion here just as much as anyone else, that sword cuts both ways.

As long as people "Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack." then argue away, it makes a nice change to the same old same old questions that come up all the time. If it goes beyond that into personal abuse then report the post and we can decide if it was genuinely abusive, or whether it was an attempt at humour gone wrong or whatever. I just want it to remain civil here and for people to find the information they are looking for without worrying about getting bullied or abused, and hopefully to have a laugh now and then along the way.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 27th 2010 at 2:29 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:03 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with your opinion and assumptions. My experience is the opposite of yours, thankfully.

Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:10 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Why do people spit the dummy rather than report posts that they think warrant action? The mods (contrary to rumour) dont lurk here 24/7 waiting to pounce, we do have lives away from BE, but there is usually a mod somewhere in the world on duty who can take a look.

Some sort of humour bypass seems to have occurred here, but it would be nice if people were more sympathetic to the way another poster might be feeling too and take that into account.

Of course its ironic in a thread about how canadians are soulless automatons that its the British that are insensitive and overbearing.

I do read a lot of threads here and wonder how my experience of life here in Canada is so totally divorced from some other peoples.
I agree with that statement. Most of the people that I have met here over the past 41 years are nice. Strangely enough most of the ones that aren't nice are Brits ! Go figure.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, but this is quite ridiculous....
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I agree with that statement. Most of the people that I have met here over the past 41 years are nice. Strangely enough most of the ones that aren't nice are Brits ! Go figure.
Funny you should say that!.....The majority of the biggest 'whiners' I have come across over here are Brits....feel like asking them if they would like some cheese to go along with the 'whine'
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Funny you should say that!.....The majority of the biggest 'whiners' I have come across over here are Brits....feel like asking them if they would like some cheese to go along with the 'whine
Of course, being in eastern Ontario, you'd be exposed to an endless stream of Greeks, Russians, Indians, Macedonians, Somalis and Tongans and so well placed to compare their manner of complaining.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I agree with that statement. Most of the people that I have met here over the past 41 years are nice.
Me too. So often the attitude one receives is a reflection of the attitude we project.

I decided to question my Canadian friends on this topic, they say they are extremely grateful to all the immigrants coming to Canada helping to make them better people, less arrogant and more friendly.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Sorry, but this is quite ridiculous....
Nah, she just comes across as a FIGJAM, I am sure she isn't
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by macadian
Funny you should say that!.....The majority of the biggest 'whiners' I have come across over here are Brits....feel like asking them if they would like some cheese to go along with the 'whine'
Would that be Canadian cheese though ...a whole other bone of contention among a certain type of expat...

Originally Posted by dbd33
Of course, being in eastern Ontario, you'd be exposed to an endless stream of Greeks, Russians, Indians, Macedonians, Somalis and Tongans and so well placed to compare their manner of complaining.
You have no idea do you... We may not be totally over run here, but there are ethnic communities out here

Last edited by iaink; Apr 27th 2010 at 2:34 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I decided to question my Canadian friends on this topic
You fratenize?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
You have no idea do you... We may not be totally over run here, but there are ethnic communities out here
I have a pretty good idea of the likelihood of macadian chatting affably in Urdu about the failings of Canada.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta be doing something wrong then, I hate hockey, any sport really (which are businesses where the 'fans' get suckered into paying big bucks to support the lifel style of the already wealthy), don't go to Denny's, don't shop in Walmart, no idea who George Jones is (any relation to Casey?) and see no point in paying to see a bunch of cars driving around like lunatics. We can do that on the 401 or M25 (parts of anyway) for free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.