Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lost your COPR document?

Wikiposts

Lost your COPR document?

Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:00 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lost your COPR document?

If you are like me and have mislaid your IMM-5292, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or 'Landing' paper, and you need it for a Citizenship application then fear not, there is a process to apply for a new one.

After finally getting around to applying for Citizenship (been here 5yrs+) I found I had mislaid my COPR. Well I rang the nice lady at the CIC call centre this morning and turns out there is a form (several actually) and a process (long on bureaucracy naturally) to obtain a 'Certified True Copy' of said form.
Link to the forms/guide is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/certcopy.asp (The CIC lady emailled me the link which was a nice touch.) Do read the instructions fully as the form isn't as simple as it appears at first sight.

Apparently the processing time for True Copies is 4 months (before they open your envelope). As the processing time for Citizenship to start is 7 months (before they open your envelope), one should apply for the True Copy and submit the Citizenship Application concurrently. Once you have the copy of the COPR, you can then send it in to match with your Citizenship application that they haven't got around to looking at yet.

I'm sure I'm not the only klutz that lost this piece of paper so I share this with you, the other klutz's, as a public service. I might even wiki it.

AX
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost your COPR document?

Is that the form they stapled into your passport and folded up lots of times to make it fit?

I was told by an immigration officer (when returning from a holiday) that I could now get rid of it ? So I think we did!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:11 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I've had a read of this and it states:

To apply as an adult, you will need to include the following with your application:

proof of permanent residence
  • A Record of Landing (IMM 1000)—a document that is sometimes folded and stapled into your passport—if you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002; or your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or 5509)—if you became a permanent resident on or after June 28, 2002
  • A permanent resident card, a copy of both sides, if you became a permanent resident after June 28, 2002, or if you obtained a permanent resident card as an existing permanent resident

I am guessing that PR cards only came into being after June 28, 2002, and prior to that you simply had the IMM 1000 and the COPR documents, whereas since that date you have a PR Card and the COPR.

It does seem strange to me that you would need to supply both the COPR and a copy of the PR Card itself. I think it should be one or the other, not both. Seems the documents checklist is clearer though and does state that COPR *and* PR card are required.

Thanks for the link to information on getting a certified copy of the COPR, very handy to know it's possible to do and not too complicated.

Last edited by sharkus; Feb 15th 2010 at 3:14 am.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

We were told on landing that we MUST keep the copy of COPR.
We were told to remove it from the passport once we had the PR cards but then to keep it VERY CAREFULLY as we would need the COPR in the future (for citizenship? or re-applying for PR card? - I can't remember to be honest).

The agent was very clear on this issue and I have dutifully filed our COPRs away.

Thank you for your post - very helpful.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:34 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

You need both the COPR and a photocopy of your PR card to apply for citizenship, hence my need to obtain a copy of the COPR to replace the one I mislaid. I suspect it was stapled into the passport that I lost a year or so after I landed.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:15 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

If applying for a new passport, would you say it was wise to remove the COPR from the old passport and keep it in a safe place?
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:17 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
If applying for a new passport, would you say it was wise to remove the COPR from the old passport and keep it in a safe place?
Yes.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:23 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Yes.
That's what I was thinking - thanks
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I don't think we took ours out. When we applied for new passports we submitted the old ones and never thought about the COPRs inside. Anyway, our old passports were returned to us with the corners cut to show they were expired.

Lucky, cos of course we did need our COPRs to apply for citizenship last year!