Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking to study in Canada, unsure of how my grades transfer

Looking to study in Canada, unsure of how my grades transfer

Old Dec 2nd 2023, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Crossy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to study in Canada, unsure of how my grades transfer

I'm looking to attend a college in Canada to study outdoor education (I've been working in the industry now for about 8 years) and have decided I'd like to study there as it provides a good pathway to gain relevant Canadian qualifications in the industry and provides a pathway to permanent residence. The course I'm looking at selects applicants based on English (ENG4C or equivalent) and Math (MAP4C or equivalent) grades. Problem is, I have no idea what this equates to in terms of my UK schooling (GCSE's?). I can't seem to find anything on the web to help and was hoping someone could provide some guidance. Thanks!
Old Dec 2nd 2023, 6:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to study in Canada, unsure of how my grades transfer

Hi, welcome to BE.

Do you have A Levels? That would be the equivalent as Canadians are in school until age 18ish.

But the best thing to do is to ask the college, they may well require you to get your qualifications assessed (by an agency like WES) but they'll be able to tell you for sure and may even know what the UK equivalent is already.

Do check the plan for PR as well, there's no direct route from a study permit to PR, so if that is the ultimate aim you may be better off going down another route.

Good luck.

Old Dec 2nd 2023, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Do you have A Levels? That would be the equivalent as Canadians are in school until age 18ish.

But the best thing to do is to ask the college, they may well require you to get your qualifications assessed (by an agency like WES) but they'll be able to tell you for sure and may even know what the UK equivalent is already.

Do check the plan for PR as well, there's no direct route from a study permit to PR, so if that is the ultimate aim you may be better off going down another route. As I said…things may have changed.

Good luck.
My daughter went to uni in Toronto. It was 20 years ago, so things may have changed. In order to gain a work visa after graduating, you must attend an accredited uni and an approved course. The length of the work visa, depends on the length of the course. If I remember correctly her course was for 5 years and her subsequent visa was for 3 years. She then applied and was granted PR.
Old Dec 2nd 2023, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply! I do have A levels, one being English Literature but I didn't study maths beyond GCSE level. I've contacted the college, just waiting on a response from them now!

As far as the PR route, I'm hoping to use the course to get the qualifications I need in the industry (things like white water raft guide, rock climbing etc.) I already have these in the UK but they don't transfer to Canada very well and need doing again there. The plan is to then find a job after college while on a post study visa and look at residency options then.

I'm open to any suggestions though as to better routes for someone with existing experience in the outdoors (including at supervisory/managerial levels)
​​
Old Dec 2nd 2023, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crossy1
Thanks for the reply! I do have A levels, one being English Literature but I didn't study maths beyond GCSE level. I've contacted the college, just waiting on a response from them now!

As far as the PR route, I'm hoping to use the course to get the qualifications I need in the industry (things like white water raft guide, rock climbing etc.) I already have these in the UK but they don't transfer to Canada very well and need doing again there. The plan is to then find a job after college while on a post study visa and look at residency options then.

I'm open to any suggestions though as to better routes for someone with existing experience in the outdoors (including at supervisory/managerial levels)
​​
Personal question I know, but how old are you?

And what is the course, how long for and is it full-time?
Old Dec 3rd 2023, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Personal question I know, but how old are you?

And what is the course, how long for and is it full-time?
I've just turned 28, the course is a 2 year diploma in outdoor education!
Old Dec 3rd 2023, 3:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Crossy1
I've just turned 28, the course is a 2 year diploma in outdoor education!
Is your main aim actually studying, or moving to Canada? If the latter, have a look at the IEC visa, that would be an easier (and MUCH!) cheaper route.

Old Dec 3rd 2023, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Is your main aim actually studying, or moving to Canada? If the latter, have a look at the IEC visa, that would be an easier (and MUCH!) cheaper route.
The ultimate aim is moving to Canada. I had considered the IEC but am honestly unsure of the chances of successfully applying for PR after it comes to an end.

My other concern is that my qualifications in the outdoors are all UK based and I'd need to find an employer there willing to help me gain the relevant Canadian certifications at the level I require (mountain guiding, white water rafting, rock climbing etc.)