Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for a second location in Hamilton to check out.

Looking for a second location in Hamilton to check out.

Old Dec 4th 2018, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for a second location in Hamilton to check out.

Hi everyone

im travelling over to Hamilton at the end of March next year to scope out some areas. It’s a bit of a flying visit (Wednesday evening -Monday evening).

Please find my criteria below:
• needs to be a bus ride to Mohawk College (max 25mins)
• 3 bedrooms $2500pm
•bonus points for good local school with day care (I will have a 7&2 year old).
• preferably not busy areas.

Ive currently booked into a hotel in Dundas to check out that area for the beginning of my stay but want to look at another location for the last part. My husband and myself will be studying or working full time, my husband drives so we can get out and about at weekends.

Could anyone suggest an area area I could explore.

TIA
Old Dec 4th 2018, 9:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a second location in Hamilton to check out.

Originally Posted by Rabbithole
Hi everyone

im travelling over to Hamilton at the end of March next year to scope out some areas. It’s a bit of a flying visit (Wednesday evening -Monday evening).

Please find my criteria below:
• needs to be a bus ride to Mohawk College (max 25mins)
• 3 bedrooms $2500pm
•bonus points for good local school with day care (I will have a 7&2 year old).
• preferably not busy areas.

Ive currently booked into a hotel in Dundas to check out that area for the beginning of my stay but want to look at another location for the last part. My husband and myself will be studying or working full time, my husband drives so we can get out and about at weekends.

Could anyone suggest an area area I could explore.

TIA

Bus transport from Dundas to Mohawk or into the City is a bit of a nightmare, it will mean going into the City and back out again.. you can see the routes on google maps - click on the bus emblem to get the bus routes and times (see the picture below for the route from Mohawk to Dundas on the bus) - personally with 2 children I wouldn't dream of trying to live in Dundas and go to college at Mohawk, unless you have a vehicle - but the added expense just isn't worth it when there are other areas. Personally I wooldn't have booked a hotel in Dundas - you will be severely limited on where you can get to unless you have a vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I really like Dundas, it has a great village feel, but only if you were going to live there and not need to be going far without a vehicle. That's the main reason I haven't moved there myself.. without transportation you really are limited to what is there.

Hamilton West Mountain or Central Mountain would suit you. You can be at Mohawk within 10 to 15 minutes from just about anywhere on the Mountain.You can get a decent rental for that amount - in fact if you stick with Central Mountain (from West 5th to East 27th you should be able to get one for under $2000 a month - but don't forget you will have utilities, phone, tv, internet etc., on top of that. Do be aware that rentals here are for a minimum of 1 year (unless you get an executive rental, which is much more expensive) and properties are unfurnished so you will have to factor those costs in as well (they normally have a fridge/freezer and stove, sometimes a washer and dryer). Rentals start on 1st of the month and due to Ontario Tenancy laws which means having to give 60 days notice to quit, normally for say a May 1st rental they would be advertising the property in March. When is it you are intending on moving over?

I believe Mohawk College has daycare for young children if you are enrolled there. Schools don't have daycare facilities generally although there is a list of those that do here: http://www.artistsatthecentre.ca/contact.html
As mentioned previously schools are pretty much of a muchness without the variations you get in the UK. There are good schools almost everywhere! You will have to ascertain the catchment area for where you are going to rent to determine which school.

There are buses from all over the Mountain (as it's known) to Mohawk college - they have their own bus stops within the grounds. Additionally, buses run across and up and down all over the Mountain andfrom the Mountain down into the City - which takes about 10 to 15 minutes. No need for a car!
You might want to check out these posts

Renting in Ontario (Hamilton)
Can we really do this. Overwhelmed newbie with info overload.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a second location in Hamilton to check out.-mohawk-dundas.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 4th 2018 at 11:31 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 10:52 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The tales my daughter has told me about bussing from Hamilton to Burlington used to turn my hair grey 2 hours to do a 20 minute car ride at night switching busses and walking alone, she has since moved to Burlington and stolen her boyfriends car, she go to Mowhawk, it's not fun on the bus but she does it, when her boyfriend needs to use his car. I would look for direct transit routes if thats what you are going to be relying on.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
The tales my daughter has told me about bussing from Hamilton to Burlington used to turn my hair grey 2 hours to do a 20 minute car ride at night switching busses and walking alone, she has since moved to Burlington and stolen her boyfriends car, she go to Mowhawk, it's not fun on the bus but she does it, when her boyfriend needs to use his car. I would look for direct transit routes if thats what you are going to be relying on.

Yes, there's no direct way really! I would say that it's a bit longer than 20m in the car though, unless you get very lucky.. I regularly go from Hamilton Mountain to Burlington and back and it can take anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes depending on traffic and the time of day (and the route you take). However, she would be better getting the bus from Mohawk downtown to the GO station and then either the GO train or the Lakeshore GO bus.. that way there would only be one small change at Hamilton and then a fast transfer onto the GO bus at Aldershot to Burlington... that would be slightly quicker too 7 to 10 minutes to downtown from Mohawk to the GO bus (coach) then from Hamilton to Aldershot (quick transfer) - 36m from Hamilton to Burlington - total of 46m from Mohawk (not including any wait time at the college, lol). https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-pl...-and-route-map

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 4th 2018 at 11:57 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Rabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Bus transport from Dundas to Mohawk or into the City is a bit of a nightmare, it will mean going into the City and back out again.. you can see the routes on google maps - click on the bus emblem to get the bus routes and times (see the picture below for the route from Mohawk to Dundas on the bus) - personally with 2 children I wouldn't dream of trying to live in Dundas and go to college at Mohawk, unless you have a vehicle - but the added expense just isn't worth it when there are other areas. Personally I wooldn't have booked a hotel in Dundas - you will be severely limited on where you can get to unless you have a vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I really like Dundas, it has a great village feel, but only if you were going to live there and not need to be going far without a vehicle.
See, this is why I should’ve come here first!!! I was told Dundas was 15mins away 🙈

luckily enough I booked a hotel with full cancellation so I can move that no problem.

We’re planning to move over around July time, shipping our house with us. As I’m in college for 2 years, we’re looking at a 2 year rental.

When you say “mountains”, are there specific place names for these? If I were to fly over, where would I book a hotel? I’m struggling to get a location sorted in my head (hence my visit). I’ve been keeping an eye on Kiliji but I’m looking at houses I like the look of rather than concentrating on area.

Thank you you so much for bus routes and info on Dundas, it’s a massive help.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Could I please ask a massive favour Siouxie?

would you be able to send me a map circling “the mountains” area? Your bus maps have been invaluable so far, if I pinpoint the living area I think I’m good to go. 😊😊😊
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Googling "hamilton mountain" produces a map, It seems to be bounded by Mountain Hyundai, Cineplex Hamilton Mountain, Hamilton Mountain Seventh Day Adventist Church and Mountain Drive Park with a bit of sagging at the edges.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Googling "hamilton mountain" produces a map, It seems to be bounded by Mountain Hyundai, Cineplex Hamilton Mountain, Hamilton Mountain Seventh Day Adventist Church and Mountain Drive Park with a bit of sagging at the edges.
This is perfect, thank you so much, been googling maps today and seem to have a bit better understanding or area. I really don’t understand why I’m finding it so difficult to get my head round it, think I’m actually over complicating it 😂😂 Think everything will fall into place when I actually visit 😊
Old Dec 5th 2018, 1:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This is perfect, thank you so much, been googling maps today and seem to have a bit better understanding or area. I really don’t understand why I’m finding it so difficult to get my head round it, think I’m actually over complicating it 😂😂 Think everything will fall into place when I actually visit 😊
Siouxie, of course, has local knowledge and may refine those boundaries.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 3:09 pm
Banned

See, this is why I should’ve come here first!!! I was told Dundas was 15mins away � ����

luckily enough I booked a hotel with full cancellation so I can move that no problem.

We’re planning to move over around July time, shipping our house with us. As I’m in college for 2 years, we’re looking at a 2 year rental.

When you say “mountains”, are there specific place names for these? If I were to fly over, where would I book a hotel? I’m struggling to get a location sorted in my head (hence my visit). I’ve been keeping an eye on Kiliji but I’m looking at houses I like the look of rather than concentrating on area.

Thank you you so much for bus routes and info on Dundas, it’s a massive help.
Could I please ask a massive favour Siouxie?

would you be able to send me a map circling “the mountains” area? Your bus maps have been invaluable so far, if I pinpoint the living area I think I’m good to go. � ����� ����� ����

Aww you are most welcome!
Dundas is less than 15m away by car

Don't bother looking at kijiji this early because unless you are prepared to pay for a rental for 6 months that you won't live in it, there's no point as rentals go very quickly.

Rentals are on a 12 month revolving lease normally - either renewable or else you go on month to month after the first year.

Please tell me that you have ascertained that you will qualify for PR once you have completed your 2 year college course / twp or what have you? Otherwise there would be little point in transporting all your worldly goods only to have to send them back again.

So - Hamilton Mountain... It's divided by Upper James - which runs from Concession Street all the way to the outer boundary of Hamilton. Streets to the East of Upper James are East Mountain.. to the West are -yup - West Mountain.. locals refer to central mountain as from West 5th to around East 24th (not 27th, oops).

So the bottom (Northern) boundary of 'the mountain' is Concession Street / Mountain Brow (which overlooks the lower City) The Southern Boundary is pretty much Highway 6 at Airport Road (it does go further but you are unlikely to find a rental that far out) - to the East it goes to Highway 20 though you'll want to keep to the and to the West - Stonechurch where it meets Mohawk and Scenic Drive!

I'll do you a map later.. have to work now
In the meantime, if you look at this map, zones 6-7-8 and 14 are pretty much Hamilton Mountain
https://spatialsolutions.maps.arcgis...ec1e1129aad77d
Hotel - if you want to be close to Mohawk and to look around the Mountain then Upper James has 2 hotels on the bus routes.
If you want to be down in the City to get a feel for it - whilst being able to easily get up the mountain then there are several downtown ones near to the bus stops/station.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 5th 2018 at 3:12 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Aww you are most welcome!
Dundas is less than 15m away by car

Don't bother looking at kijiji this early because unless you are prepared to pay for a rental for 6 months that you won't live in it, there's no point as rentals go very quickly.

Rentals are on a 12 month revolving lease normally - either renewable or else you go on month to month after the first year.

Please tell me that you have ascertained that you will qualify for PR once you have completed your 2 year college course / twp or what have you? Otherwise there would be little point in transporting all your worldly goods only to have to send them back again.

So - Hamilton Mountain... It's divided by Upper James - which runs from Concession Street all the way to the outer boundary of Hamilton. Streets to the East of Upper James are East Mountain.. to the West are -yup - West Mountain.. locals refer to central mountain as from West 5th to around East 24th (not 27th, oops).

So the bottom (Northern) boundary of 'the mountain' is Concession Street / Mountain Brow (which overlooks the lower City) The Southern Boundary is pretty much Highway 6 at Airport Road (it does go further but you are unlikely to find a rental that far out) - to the East it goes to Highway 20 though you'll want to keep to the and to the West - Stonechurch where it meets Mohawk and Scenic Drive!

I'll do you a map later.. have to work now
In the meantime, if you look at this map, zones 6-7-8 and 14 are pretty much Hamilton Mountain
https://spatialsolutions.maps.arcgis...ec1e1129aad77d
Hotel - if you want to be close to Mohawk and to look around the Mountain then Upper James has 2 hotels on the bus routes.
If you want to be down in the City to get a feel for it - whilst being able to easily get up the mountain then there are several downtown ones near to the bus stops/station.
this is all brilliant info, with what you’ve given me, I’ll do a map, it would be better for me to do it so I get to grips with it. I’ve only been looking on Kiliji to get an idea of prices and area, they go so fast so know I can’t have any (which is a shame as some of them are lovely 😂)

with regards to furniture, sadly we have no where to store over here and the cost of storage for 2 years is ridiculous, we’re thinking of just bringing stuff we can’t sell and sentimental items, oh and my sons Transformer collection I’ve just been informed 🙈
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:12 pm
Banned

this is all brilliant info, with what you’ve given me, I’ll do a map, it would be better for me to do it so I get to grips with it. I’ve only been looking on Kiliji to get an idea of prices and area, they go so fast so know I can’t have any (which is a shame as some of them are lovely � ����)

with regards to furniture, sadly we have no where to store over here and the cost of storage for 2 years is ridiculous, we’re thinking of just bringing stuff we can’t sell and sentimental items, oh and my sons Transformer collection I’ve just been informed � ����

You're welcome!

If I were in your position, I'd be looking at houses North (City side) of the Link (Alexander Parkway) and South (Mountain side) of Concession, On the West side I would stay the Upper James side of Garth and on the East, the Upper James side of Upper Gage.

Old Dec 5th 2018, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

You're welcome!

If I were in your position, I'd be looking at houses North (City side) of the Link (Alexander Parkway) and South (Mountain side) of Concession, On the West side I would stay the Upper James side of Garth and on the East, the Upper James side of Upper Gage.

How’s this roughly look? If it’s uploaded properly. First time adding a picture 😂
Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:08 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there's no direct way really! I would say that it's a bit longer than 20m in the car though, unless you get very lucky.. I regularly go from Hamilton Mountain to Burlington and back and it can take anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes depending on traffic and the time of day (and the route you take). However, she would be better getting the bus from Mohawk downtown to the GO station and then either the GO train or the Lakeshore GO bus.. that way there would only be one small change at Hamilton and then a fast transfer onto the GO bus at Aldershot to Burlington... that would be slightly quicker too 7 to 10 minutes to downtown from Mohawk to the GO bus (coach) then from Hamilton to Aldershot (quick transfer) - 36m from Hamilton to Burlington - total of 46m from Mohawk (not including any wait time at the college, lol). https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-pl...-and-route-map
I think you misunderstood slightly, when she lived in Hamilton she was bussing to Burlington for work at the mall. She then moved to walking distnace from the mall in Burlington and lost her job - as it happens, she now busses on occasion to Mowhawk from Burlington, sh has said that, that journey doen't take too long.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 1:30 am
Banned

How’s this roughly look? If it’s uploaded properly. First time adding a picture � ����

Well it showed part of the mountain area, without any detail, lol - and part of the downtown City too.. I'll get you a map sorted sometime tomorrow - had a busy day today, sorry.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 6th 2018 at 1:33 am.