Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking to rent...got a big dog...think again

Looking to rent...got a big dog...think again

Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

lilpuddin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to rent...got a big dog...think again

My mum in law is going to give my cat a home as we just cant afford the money to ship him over there...at least we know he is going to be well looked after, still makes me sad to leave him behind though
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

DebbieK will become famous soon enoughDebbieK will become famous soon enough

We are not taking our cat, it would be too cruel, we live in a village of 38 houses here and the cat is very much a free spirit, to shove her on a plane for all that time and then have to restrict her - I gather the more rural areas are not good for cats seems madness. As it is the dogs are going to cost us a mint to get over there - but we took them on for life, so hey, that is our problem.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lilpuddin
My mum in law is going to give my cat a home as we just cant afford the money to ship him over there.
At least you've decided to arrive without your pet...however it does concern me that the cost of shipping is the case, as I think that this may be the least of your expenses when you arrive here.

If you're planning to stay for the rest of your life in Canada, I'm sure that you'll find a shipping company that may bring your cat over here for a lot less than you might think it will cost.....check out some previous threads on bringing pets across.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

lilpuddin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
At least you've decided to arrive without your pet...however it does concern me that the cost of shipping is the case, as I think that this may be the least of your expenses when you arrive here.

If you're planning to stay for the rest of your life in Canada, I'm sure that you'll find a shipping company that may bring your cat over here for a lot less than you might think it will cost.....check out some previous threads on bringing pets across.
We did think about having him brought over once we are there and settled, but he is getting old now and im not sure if it is best for him, he loves my mum in law, she feeds him tuna when im not looking
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

snowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
And that's like Universal Studios I now know
Ha ha! How true.

Maybe it's "guide dogs only" in Cochrane.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowhugs
Ha ha! How true.

Maybe it's "guide dogs only" in Cochrane.
...And the mentally challenged...you should fit in
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Reading the article I thought them mildly stupid, it's hard to rent anywhere with a large dog, until this exploitative nonsense.

'“He’s helped my youngest son who is autistic. Really, it’s his dog; it’s like his best friend. He often talks through the dog, which a lot of autistic children do,” Lynch said.'

Bollocks. How come these people got here despite requiring long term expensive medical care?
Originally Posted by frankieforehead
...And the mentally challenged...you should fit in
I can't believe you people, if Calgary is full of people like you then socially it's a worse place than the UK. Not one of you has shown an ounce of understanding or sympathy for that autistic child, only taken the piss. Just because he's autistic it doesn't mean he's mentally challenged or needing any kind of long term expensive medical care, you are so uneducated.

Perhaps you should take a look at a site regarding autism and educate yourselves www.nas.org.uk because your behaviour is nothing short of discriminative.

By the way, and before you decide to try and get a reaction from me with some sarcastic quip which comes so readily from several of you, I have a son with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Aspergers Syndrome - he is neither mentally challenged nor a drain on the medical system, in fact he doesn't receives nor require any medical attention whatsoever and probably has an IQ higher than all the small minded posters put together.

It is a fact that many autistic children really make progress through animals, so what's it to you? I just hope I don't end up living next door to any of you lot
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bex1
I can't believe you people, if Calgary is full of people like you then socially it's a worse place than the UK. Not one of you has shown an ounce of understanding or sympathy for that autistic child, only taken the piss. Just because he's autistic it doesn't mean he's mentally challenged or needing any kind of long term expensive medical care, you are so uneducated.

Perhaps you should take a look at a site regarding autism and educate yourselves www.nas.org.uk because your behaviour is nothing short of discriminative.

By the way, and before you decide to try and get a reaction from me with some sarcastic quip which comes so readily from several of you, I have a son with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Aspergers Syndrome - he is neither mentally challenged nor a drain on the medical system, in fact he doesn't receives nor require any medical attention whatsoever and probably has an IQ higher than all the small minded posters put together.

It is a fact that many autistic children really make progress through animals, so what's it to you? I just hope I don't end up living next door to any of you lot
Before you get up any higher on your high horse perhaps you need to know that DBD33 has an autistic daughter.

I don't believe anyone was taking the piss as you put it over the autistic child but the lack of foresight on the part of the parents who appear to be perfectly "normal".
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:27 pm
Go placidly.....

Troublesome is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope so to! Not the son....the parents!

Last edited by Troublesome; Jul 11th 2008 at 11:28 pm. Reason: Have calmed down now, off to lie down in a dark room
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a son with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Aspergers Syndrome - he is neither mentally challenged nor a drain on the medical system, in fact he doesn't receives nor require any medical attention whatsoever and probably has an IQ higher than all the small minded posters put together.
Either his is one of those cases of Asperger's as fashion - the sort of case where the affluent parents of a dim or badly behaved child need a label for him, or he's a drain. He can't have a disabling condition and not be a drain. Not that it's anyone's fault or he should somehow avoid being a drain, someone born with one leg is in a similar situation; nothing the person can do about it. If he's not in some form of special education then either his symptoms are so minor as to make the diagnosis questionable or the system is failing him.

Yes, there's a spectrum but it runs from minor disability to vegetable.

It is a fact that many autistic children really make progress through animals
Can you cite a single case in support of this? Any double blind study?

I think not, I think some autistic children like to ride horses, I see that all the time. I think some mistake large dogs for horses and try to ride them, I see that now and then. But, "progress"? How defined? How proved? Communication via dog as claimed for the Cochrane family? Pull the other one.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe you people, if Calgary is full of people like you then socially it's a worse place than the UK. Not one of you has shown an ounce of understanding or sympathy for that autistic child, only taken the piss. Just because he's autistic it doesn't mean he's mentally challenged or needing any kind of long term expensive medical care

I don't think anyone took the p*ss out of the child or his condition. The comments were aimed at the lack of planning or research by the parents. And yes, as dbd has already commented for himself, I really don't need to - but we 'allow' him to chip in with blunt comments because he is living this exact issue every day of his life. So if he he appears less than tactful, well - that's just the way it is ! And if you re-read the other post referring to the mentally challenged, I simply read that as a playful dig between frankieforehead and snowhugs and taking the p*ss out of Cochrane (so I'm deeply offended ).

And with the greatest respect to the parents, if the dog really was such a fundamental element of their child's life, then the lack of planning really badly shows. Sorry - but that's just the way most of us see it.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:57 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

I have just read the article and have to agree that research is the answer. I know in recent weeks there have been 2 rental accommodations that both take dogs (I rented them out to UK expats with dogs) but they arranged this in June for a August 1st Possession. YOu have to look at places whilst in the UK and make contacts there for when you get here. Do not come here and expect people to be waiting for you.

I also know that in the last month there has been an acerage for rent which would be great for a dog (it might still be available)

I also read the article in the Cochrane times, I am the property manager for the unit that they talk about which does not accept pets 'The homestead'. Even if they did except pets, this family would probably not qualify as there is a criteria that they follow for the tenants. Most of the tenants are the most needy in the town. The apartments are very small.

I also noted that the reason they are renting is that they are on a TWP. You can get a mortgage and buy a house on a TWP. If they contact me this week I could get them in to house by August 1st (but as today is Friday I am sure that one of the other realtors in town will have beaten me to it!!)

I think the major issue in this case is a total lack of research either from the UK or whilst living here.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:02 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

All I will say is however ridiculously rattylike she may be, my dog will never present this type of problem.

Chihuauas are the way forwards. I sh"t you not

A smug and cheek tongued,
Mrs Miggins. x
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone interested in autism, here's a radio program one of my children (the one now in Honduras) made about the autistic one. It's outrageously self serving but gives a clue:

http://www.cbc.ca/outfront/listen/2008/08-05-21.html
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:37 am
Just Joined

jasonlisa is a jewel in the roughjasonlisa is a jewel in the roughjasonlisa is a jewel in the roughjasonlisa is a jewel in the rough

I have read this thread with interest. Not only do we have a young labrador, but I also work with special need children (Aspergers and Autism included).

Firstly, our dog is only 9 months old, and due to her tendency to think everything around the house is hers, she is crated when we're not in. I was dubious at first, dogs aren't meant to be kept in cages afterall, however she often goes in it when she needs to get away from noise or needs some time to herself. She won't need to be in it forever, just until she's grown out of the destructive, eat-whatever-she-can stage.

My suggestion to the family concerned would be that were they to consider doing the same with their dog, the landlord MAY be prepared to consider short term rental.

Secondly, I have not heard about Autistic children speaking through animals (although to be fair my experience is limited to High Functioning Autism, and the child concerned does quite enough talking of her own!) but it is something that I will be trying to find out more about, just for my learning.

My only comment would be that given the difficulties these children in particular have with accepting change, I would think it prudent to over plan such a huge move- the kids I work with can struggle if there's a different teacher for one lesson, so moving to another country must require meticulously detailed planning.

There, I'm done now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.