Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for QROPS personal finance expert

Looking for QROPS personal finance expert

Old May 31st 2017, 5:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for QROPS personal finance expert

Originally Posted by Edo
Yep, These were the instructions that my advisor provided about filing and were followed:

"For the amount of the transferred value of the UK Pension, put this figure on line 115 (other pensions or superannuation) and then also place this figure on line 232 (other deductions) . Then complete a schedule 7 . On the schedule 7 there is a line where you can show this figure was from a transfer. It is important that this is shown to have been from a transfer."
The transfer is reported on line 130 and deducted on line 208. They were right about schedule 7 though.
Old May 31st 2017, 6:25 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The transfer is reported on line 130 and deducted on line 208. They were right about schedule 7 though.
Thanks JonboyE.

This is what the CRA has said on their re-assessment.

Line 256 of the tax return:

- Under the Canada-UK Income Tax Treaty, as amended, periodic pensions (including pensions paid from public funds) that arrives from the UK and are paid to a Canadian resident are taxable only in Canada. Therefore, you are not eligible for a deduction since the pension income you received is tax-exepmt only in the UK.

Line 208 of the tax return/Line 245 of Schedule 7:

We have adjusted your claim for the RRSP/PRPP deductions from *lower amount* to *higher amount* for the following reason(s):

- To match the amount not he receipts you provided
Old Jun 4th 2017, 12:48 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Thanks JonboyE.

This is what the CRA has said on their re-assessment.

Line 256 of the tax return:

- Under the Canada-UK Income Tax Treaty, as amended, periodic pensions (including pensions paid from public funds) that arrives from the UK and are paid to a Canadian resident are taxable only in Canada. Therefore, you are not eligible for a deduction since the pension income you received is tax-exepmt only in the UK.

Line 208 of the tax return/Line 245 of Schedule 7:

We have adjusted your claim for the RRSP/PRPP deductions from *lower amount* to *higher amount* for the following reason(s):

- To match the amount not he receipts you provided
Any advice on how I can get CRA to rectify this so I can get my RRSP room back would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 1:45 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Any advice on how I can get CRA to rectify this so I can get my RRSP room back would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Did your RRSP provider give you a contribution receipt with wording something like transfer under section 60(j)?
Old Jun 4th 2017, 2:20 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Did your RRSP provider give you a contribution receipt with wording something like transfer under section 60(j)?
Yes, he did. And I submitted this information with my tax return as well.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 8:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

The easiest way is to set up My Account My Account for Individuals. You can then go online and request that your return is adjusted and reassessed.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

eaglestorm is an unknown quantity at this point

New to this forum but glad I discovered it. Just as I was about to bring across my UK pension pot they change the ROPS rules. More than frustrating as the exchange rate was over $2.00 when I started the process.

Slightly tangential to ROPS transfers but now that I have been prevented from transferring my UK DC pension to Canada my question is this

How would my pension pot (in the UK at present)be treated on death here in Canada.
If it was part of an RRSP over here it would form part of the estate and be liable for tax.
Under the new pensions freedoms in the UK it is not taxable at all if under age 75 and then only at the marginal rate if older than 75.It is a flexi drawdown pension so would monthly payments to my spouse and yearly income from it be declared annually to the CRA and be taxed appropriately or would the whole pot value be assessed and taxed ala an RRSP.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
A bit more evidence on this one:

UK pension trustees must 'urgently review' overseas transfer procedures as HMRC suspends notification list

Rather annoyingly, the link the the HMRC guidance note is broken.

Also:

https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/ins...-2015-081.html
Dragging this one back to life, HMRC have finally made it clear that people who transferred into schemes that are no longer QROPS before those schemes lost their status will not suddenly have to pay the unauthorized transfer charge:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/overseas-pensions-stop-being-a-qrops

Your scheme members won’t have to pay an unauthorised payments charge for their transfers if you received it before your scheme lost its QROPS status.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 3:30 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Dragging this one back to life, HMRC have finally made it clear that people who transferred into schemes that are no longer QROPS before those schemes lost their status will not suddenly have to pay the unauthorized transfer charge:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/overseas...-being-a-qrops
That's good news
Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:02 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/overseas...-being-a-qrops
That's great news. Is there any news on whether HMRC will restore Canada on their list of QROPS eligible countries?