Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for QROPS personal finance expert

Looking for QROPS personal finance expert

Old Mar 4th 2017, 2:21 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for QROPS personal finance expert

Originally Posted by Edo
Because the return on investment simply sucks.

I understand that the markets are not doing so great right now so funds are losing money because of that anyway. But the management fees of funds that your QROPS money gets invested into in Canada are also exorbitant and you have to pay them whether or not your pension is making money.

Thanks to HMRC's continuous interference there are usually not many players in the market who accept QROPS transfers (currently zero). But those who do, use agents to find them clients. These agents do all the paperwork for no charge to you as a client which is great but they get commission from the QROPS providers. And in return they lock you in with the said providers for a certain no. of years.

Generally speaking these agents operate under the umbrella of smaller financial institutions to help them stay afloat so I would assume that a part of your pension goes to them too as some sort of commission.

PS. The whole commission cycle and fund management fees are completely hidden from the client party so you never know what amount from your hard earned pension went to who.

Solution:

Eliminate as many parties from the above as you can and take some control of your pension. You may or may not be able to control your QROPS 100% from the investment and/or withdrawal point of view, but trust me you will save a ton of money if you have one entity in the game instead of three.

The BMO option that was recently dropped from the list was a really great choice had it stayed on. I hope the big banks do show some interest in QROPS which would be great cuz not only do they offer better investment opportunities for pension funds which have much lower management fees (as compared to the likes of SunLife, Standard Life etc); but they also allow you to deal with them directly through their branches in case there is a problem or you need advice regarding funds rebalancing etc.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Because the return on investment simply sucks.

I understand that the markets are not doing so great right now so funds are losing money because of that anyway. But the management fees of funds that your QROPS money gets invested into in Canada are also exorbitant and you have to pay them whether or not your pension is making money.

Thanks to HMRC's continuous interference there are usually not many players in the market who accept QROPS transfers (currently zero). But those who do, use agents to find them clients. These agents do all the paperwork for no charge to you as a client which is great but they get commission from the QROPS providers. And in return they lock you in with the said providers for a certain no. of years.

Generally speaking these agents operate under the umbrella of smaller financial institutions to help them stay afloat so I would assume that a part of your pension goes to them too as some sort of commission.

PS. The whole commission cycle and fund management fees are completely hidden from the client party so you never know what amount from your hard earned pension went to who.
I would suggest doing your own research and telling them exactly what to invest your fund in. A mix of low cost trackers and ETFs will minimise fees and maximise your returns. If you're in an account that offers a very limited range of investment options then at least go through the ones that are available and pick the ones with the lowest MER.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 9:40 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
I would suggest doing your own research and telling them exactly what to invest your fund in. A mix of low cost trackers and ETFs will minimise fees and maximise your returns. If you're in an account that offers a very limited range of investment options then at least go through the ones that are available and pick the ones with the lowest MER.
I have researched the fund choices that my current pension fund manager provides but I came to the conclusion that neither do I like their funds nor their fee structure. Their lowest MER fees are 100%-150% higher than some well known ETFs in Canada. The index funds that this particular provider offers have terrible year-on-year performance and they do not even offer ETFs.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I have researched the fund choices that my current pension fund manager provides but I came to the conclusion that neither do I like their funds nor their fee structure. Their lowest MER fees are 100%-150% higher than some well known ETFs in Canada. The index funds that this particular provider offers have terrible year-on-year performance and they do not even offer ETFs.
Looks like you're stuffed then. You seem quite knowledgeable, why did you go with a firm like that in the first place when you could have gone to BMI, CIBC etc and got access to a much wider range of investments?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:13 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Looks like you're stuffed then. You seem quite knowledgeable, why did you go with a firm like that in the first place when you could have gone to BMI, CIBC etc and got access to a much wider range of investments?
Thank you. I wouldn't say I am quite knowledgeable but over the last couple of years I have learned enough about pensions and investments that I know how to save on fees. But I wish I knew what I know now when I was transferring my QROPS.

The reason why I could not choose BMO or CIBC was that none of them existed on HMRC's list at the time. I am really looking forward to the list being revised. Who knows we may end up with some good options of new providers.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 11:34 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

In this long thread there has been little mention of fees and ongoing expenses associated with a QROPS. For those that have done the transfer maybe you can share the fees that you are being charged and the funds you have access to. You should know this off the top of your head.

Also mention was made of transferring DB plans.....this is a real mine field because people have a difficult time doing the actuarial calculations needed to see if you are getting a good deal.

Last edited by nun; Mar 7th 2017 at 11:51 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

QROPS are finished now for anyone in Canada.

QROPS): introduction of a transfer charge
As announced at Spring Budget 2017, the government will legislate in Finance Bill 2017 to apply a 25% tax charge to pension transfers made to QROPS. Exceptions will be made to the charge, allowing transfers to be made tax free where people have a genuine need to transfer their pension, where:

both the individual and the pension scheme are in countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) or
if outside the EEA, both the individual and the pension scheme are in the same country, or
the QROPS is an occupational pension scheme provided by the individual’s employer
If the individual’s circumstances change within 5 tax years of the transfer, the tax treatment of the transfer will be reconsidered. The changes will take effect for transfers requested on or after 9 March 2017.

The government will also legislate in Finance Bill 2017 to apply UK tax rules to payments from funds that have had UK tax relief and have been transferred, on or after 6 April 2017, to a qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme. UK tax rules will apply to any payments made in the first 5 full tax years following the transfer, regardless of whether the individual is or has been UK resident in that period.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

IDB37 is an unknown quantity at this point

As I understand the proposals, the 25% levy will not apply if the individual and the Q/Rops are in the same Country, so that, in isolation would not impact on those moving themselves and their pensions to Canada.

Albeit, there are no options for doing so right now anyway.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Bleecher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IDB37
As I understand the proposals, the 25% levy will not apply if the individual and the Q/Rops are in the same Country, so that, in isolation would not impact on those moving themselves and their pensions to Canada.

Albeit, there are no options for doing so right now anyway.
Yep, That's the way I read it to.......any new QROPS transfers from March 2017 will be hit with a 25% tax charge other than if you are transferring the pension to a country where you reside. At last it seems the HMRC are making some sensible decisions .

However as mentioned doesn't help at the moment as there are currently no Canadian providers on the list............... glad I did mine before the changes
Old Mar 9th 2017, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleecher
Yep, That's the way I read it to.......any new QROPS transfers from March 2017 will be hit with a 25% tax charge other than if you are transferring the pension to a country where you reside. At last it seems the HMRC are making some sensible decisions .

However as mentioned doesn't help at the moment as there are currently no Canadian providers on the list............... glad I did mine before the changes

OK - on board with that, good idea to target people using QROPs simply to transfer to a low-tax country where they have no intention of living.

BUT, there is the new bit where HMRC are saying that if you do transfer under QROPS, any proceeds you take in the first 5 years will be subject to UK tax.

Now leaving aside the fact that there are no QROPs schemes in Canada at the moment. Hypothetically, IF there were Canadian QROPs schemes and IF you did transfer - given the there is a dual taxation agreement between the UK and Canada, does that mean that the first 5 years withdrawals from say a QROPS RRIF would be subject to UK tax and therefore exempt from Canadian tax?? Huh? I can't see Revenue Canada being happy about that!
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:03 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
OK - on board with that, good idea to target people using QROPs simply to transfer to a low-tax country where they have no intention of living.

BUT, there is the new bit where HMRC are saying that if you do transfer under QROPS, any proceeds you take in the first 5 years will be subject to UK tax.

Now leaving aside the fact that there are no QROPs schemes in Canada at the moment. Hypothetically, IF there were Canadian QROPs schemes and IF you did transfer - given the there is a dual taxation agreement between the UK and Canada, does that mean that the first 5 years withdrawals from say a QROPS RRIF would be subject to UK tax and therefore exempt from Canadian tax?? Huh? I can't see Revenue Canada being happy about that!
All hypothetical, but it would also be interesting to see what happens if you transferred it from one approved Canadian QROPS to another approved Canadian QROPS.
Old May 15th 2017, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

IDB37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Recent article by a legal expert involved in the ROSIIP case highlighting the historic and ongoing highly unsatisfactory situation re Q/ROPS, and seemingly suggesting that HMRC continue to adopt a deliberate Policy to confuse and obfuscate:

Budget 2017 Amendments to the QROPS Regime - a Further Breach of EU Law - Lexology
Old May 31st 2017, 2:35 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

So I transferred my QROPS from UK into Canada a couple of years ago. And (after some back and forth) CRA has decided to include the transferred amount into my RRSP room for that particular tax filing year.

I was told by my advisor that neither will QROPS be subject to any taxes in Canada nor will eat up into my RRSP room upon transfer. Was he not correct?
Old May 31st 2017, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
So I transferred my QROPS from UK into Canada a couple of years ago. And (after some back and forth) CRA has decided to include the transferred amount into my RRSP room for that particular tax filing year.

I was told by my advisor that neither will QROPS be subject to any taxes in Canada nor will eat up into my RRSP room upon transfer. Was he not correct?
He was correct. Did you report it correctly in your tax return?
Old May 31st 2017, 4:58 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
He was correct. Did you report it correctly in your tax return?
Yep, These were the instructions that my advisor provided about filing and were followed:

"For the amount of the transferred value of the UK Pension, put this figure on line 115 (other pensions or superannuation) and then also place this figure on line 232 (other deductions) . Then complete a schedule 7 . On the schedule 7 there is a line where you can show this figure was from a transfer. It is important that this is shown to have been from a transfer."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.