Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for peace

Looking for peace

Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for peace

Originally Posted by dbd33
Seasonal work, poverty, damp, no wonder Cape Bretoners are the people Newfies laugh at.

Those living conditions can also be found in any city in Canada and more so in the major metropolitan cities such as Toronto, Ottawa, Cornwall, Halifax, Montreal, Vancouver, etc.

I have friends in Cape Breton and believe me they have a lovely stable life. Own nice homes with 3 and 4 bedrooms and only one spouse works while the other stays at home and plays on the internet. In fact they have been on the internet since before 1992. So the comment about Cape Bretoners is not true of all citizens of the Cape.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Those living conditions can also be found in any city in Canada and more so in the major metropolitan cities such as Toronto, Ottawa, Cornwall, Halifax, Montreal, Vancouver, etc.

I have friends in Cape Breton and believe me they have a lovely stable life. Own nice homes with 3 and 4 bedrooms and only one spouse works while the other stays at home and plays on the internet. In fact they have been on the internet since before 1992. So the comment about Cape Bretoners is not true of all citizens of the Cape.
Firstly, the major metropolitan cities are Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal. Small towns with one, defunct, industry, such as Cornwall are hardly metropolitan.

Secondly, broadband internet is only available where there is TV cable or ADSL service. Microwave line-of-sight such as 'Bell Rural' offers internet service at a pace such that paying on the internet precludes having a full time job. Dial up, over ancient telephone lines, is hardly usable at all.

Thirdly, the major industries in Cape Breton relate to the sea. Tourism and fishing are, by definition seasonal. There may be a small number of jobs in cities that are seasonal but the economy as a whole is not.

Do you accept that, while Canadians in general mock the natives of Newfoundland, Newfies take the same position toward Cape Bretonners?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Two minor technical hitches in your plans - you say as long as you've got a laptop you'll be happy. Which is great, as long as you don't need internet access for said laptop.

And I seem to recall from your previous posts that you'll need a job offer to get any kind of long term visa for Canada which is going to be somewhat tricky in a remote area.

Just a couple of things that sprung to my mind anyway.
Access by satellite should be possible pretty much anywhere with power...apart from my house stuck between two hills with no line of sight....
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Access by satellite should be possible pretty much anywhere with power...apart from my house stuck between two hills with no line of sight....
Satellite is expensive, unreliable, and in my area, no longer supported by the vendor. It has the added catch, or advantage, that the provider, Hughes, is based in suburban Chicago so your ip address is American. That inhibits dealing with some Canadian websites.

Line-of-sight, which is what I think you're talking about, is usable but not fast enough for youtube or to stream songs. A ten minute video takes a couple of hours to watch. My understanding is that trying to use Bell Rural for Skype calls to the UK is an exercise in frustration.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 2:44 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

ohh some more helpful replies. I require a laptop only for word processing as I would use it only to write stories. That's why a type writer would do just as well. I like the satisfaction of typing on a writer too. Click click, blam!
Yes becoming a best selling author is in the pipeline
If I could just get an agent to sign my novel it'd be far easier

I don't really care about the internet too much. I use it in England as it is a necessity. I need it for work and things.

Well I'm coming to Canada in February where I will take full advantage of the IT industry in Toronto. I intend to do that for a year, get my citizenship if that takes a few years then buy a fixer upper in Nova scotia
Old Jul 13th 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zRichi
If I could just get an agent to sign my novel it'd be far easier
No way! Are people still reading those things?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

some of us quite frequently, yeah.