Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Canada, a few questions....

Looking to move to Canada, a few questions....

Old Jun 19th 2017, 3:00 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Canada, a few questions....

Or more to the point, Insurance in Canada is expensive, if you make a mistake and get caught out you could be paying in excess of $1000 a month top insure a small car
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Trinkers is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Ive spoken to Service Canada, and as you all have stated, I cannot transfer a licence that's suspended. I could take a G1 but would then have to wait 12 months until being eligible to take the G2. So one option is to "employ" a driver to drive with me, but ultimately I think that I may just have to do without a car for 12 months. I don't know how much of an issue that will cause if I'm living in Toronto - I'd commute in via transit/public transport, and expect I'll be flying most of the time to various places across US and Canada.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trinkers
Thanks for the feedback and advice. Ive spoken to Service Canada, and as you all have stated, I cannot transfer a licence that's suspended. I could take a G1 but would then have to wait 12 months until being eligible to take the G2. So one option is to "employ" a driver to drive with me, but ultimately I think that I may just have to do without a car for 12 months. I don't know how much of an issue that will cause if I'm living in Toronto - I'd commute in via transit/public transport, and expect I'll be flying most of the time to various places across US and Canada.
So long as you use a cab for transport and don't need a rental, you may manage.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

nooks 57 is an unknown quantity at this point

bring evidence of car insurance past history with even a letter of reference from your insurer....or you will pay through the nose for insurance.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 9:42 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooks 57
bring evidence of car insurance past history with even a letter of reference from your insurer....or you will pay through the nose for insurance.
You will pay through the nose even if you do
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Jobwise, I work in quite a niche area of IT Sales. Skills are transferable to other IT Sales, but skilled expertise in this area is sought after and hard to come by, and the UK Market is more mature than North America. So I'm pretty confident of being able to secure something in the next few months before I leave, but there is always a risk.
I love the confidence.

How much Canadian work experience do you have and who do you know?

Unfortunately you're in for a rude awakening once you start to understand the IT Sales job market in Toronto. No one likes a game changer. When the market catches up it will be their friends they hire before the qualified guy.

Last edited by JamesM; Jun 19th 2017 at 11:54 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JamesM
I love the confidence.

How much Canadian work experience do you have and who do you know?

Unfortunately you're in for a rude awakening once you start to understand the IT Sales job market in Toronto. No one likes a game changer. When the market catches up it will be their friends they hire before the qualified guy.
I have no Canadian work experience nor do I have any contacts. What I do have is experience of building a sales and delivery team based around a niche area that currently the three largest software companies in my sector need. Hence why I have had two of the three companies arranging interviews with me.

As for your comment about hiring their mates, there won't be a business for them to bring them in without someone with that experience building it for them. They're currently bringing in inexperienced knowledge from the states to cover their lack of knowledge.

What I do accept from your point is that I am at a disadvantage because I don't have that black book of contacts. Fortunately I do have the close friendship of the VP of Sales for North America for the product/solution I sell who can open doors for me
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I have no Canadian work experience nor do I have any contacts. What I do have is experience of building a sales and delivery team based around a niche area that currently the three largest software companies in my sector need. Hence why I have had two of the three companies arranging interviews with me.

As for your comment about hiring their mates, there won't be a business for them to bring them in without someone with that experience building it for them. They're currently bringing in inexperienced knowledge from the states to cover their lack of knowledge.

What I do accept from your point is that I am at a disadvantage because I don't have that black book of contacts. Fortunately I do have the close friendship of the VP of Sales for North America for the product/solution I sell who can open doors for me
Looks like you'll do fine then. I expect they are already wondering how they got this far without you!
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

I'm merely going on my market knowledge and from the conversations I've had with those companies. If they had the skills there then I wouldn't be as confident. but I would hope that in the next couple of weeks I'll have an offer.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

So as an update, I have been through second round of interviews with two companies, and one looks like they will make me an offer in the next 2 weeks, which will be amazing, cos then I can really start to plan, book flights and temporary accommodation etc.

I've taken on board the good advice around the driving thing, and I think I'm going to start from scratch and be a graduated driver initially, and walk/cycle/transit to the office in Liberty Village (if that where I work). The charge has been reduced so its not dangerous driving any more, which has far more serious consequences than what I will be charged with. I think I'll still face a ban though.

I'm looking at High Park/Rasconcelles/Bloor West area as I need to be commutable to both Liberty Village and the airport. Looking at what folks have said about renting in Toronto, I'm going to take a risk and sort that out when I get over there, with my employment letter, a few months rent and references.

Some more questions for you all if I may:

1) Banking - Scotiabank seem to do a decent SmartRight program for newbies, with an unsecured credit card, checking accounts etc, and they can offer a dual account for US/Canada dollars, which will be handy. I'd also quite like the Air Canada credit card for miles as I'll be travelling a fair bit with them and United ( both on Sar Alliance) but I guess that might only be available to those with a decent credit hstory, which I will need to build. I could secure that with $5k, but i'd ideally like to keep hold of cashflow. Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

2) Sports bars - I need to find myself a local bar that shows Premiership football. Ive seen a few bars, such as Football Factory and Scotland Yard, but both are downtown. I'm fortunate that I currently live 50 yards from my local pub, and whilst I don't expect one to be that close ( but may be on my criteria for finding somewhere to live ) are there general pubs that would show football/soccer in the High park/Bloor West areas?

3) I'm bringing two suitcases of clothes and that's it - so will need to buy everything from scratch like furniture, clothes, electrical equipment etc. I assume there are seller websites on the likes of facebook etc where I can pick up some basic stuff to see me through the initial few months? Any advice here is appreciated

Thanks all
Old Jul 6th 2017, 12:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at High Park/Rasconcelles/Bloor West area as I need to be commutable to both Liberty Village and the airport. Looking at what folks have said about renting in Toronto, I'm going to take a risk and sort that out when I get over there, with my employment letter, a few months rent and references.

2) Sports bars - I need to find myself a local bar that shows Premiership football. Ive seen a few bars, such as Football Factory and Scotland Yard, but both are downtown. I'm fortunate that I currently live 50 yards from my local pub, and whilst I don't expect one to be that close ( but may be on my criteria for finding somewhere to live ) are there general pubs that would show football/soccer in the High park/Bloor West areas?

Thanks all
https://www.google.fr/search?client=...E,lf:1,lf_ui:9

I think theres one on Roncesvalles too these days, but it's not showing on google.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

My kids were able to take their G2 after 8 months because they did driving school - that was a commitment of about $350, 20 hours of classroom training and 10 hours of driving lessons. Might be an option worth weighing up if driving is important to you.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
My kids were able to take their G2 after 8 months because they did driving school - that was a commitment of about $350, 20 hours of classroom training and 10 hours of driving lessons. Might be an option worth weighing up if driving is important to you.
Also makes insurance substantially cheaper 👍
Old Jul 7th 2017, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
that looks ideal, thanks!