Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for a bit of guidance.

Looking for a bit of guidance.

Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:10 pm
  #31  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 142
WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a bit of guidance.

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Have you looked at any of the links?

You don't necessarily need a degree or years of training to find skilled work. 131 Finance, insurance and related business administrative occupations is classed as skilled. 124 Office administrative assistants - general, legal and medical is classed as skilled. You just need a minimum 1 year of experience.

You can obtain PR through a semi-skilled job once you have worked for 6-9 months (depending on the Province) - if you were to work for a year in the UK as an office assistant, an administrative support position in finance, a sales rep or retail sales and then got a job in BC (for instance) after 9 months you would qualify for Provincial Nomination under the semi-skilled stream.

Interesting.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but lets just say BC was the province I wanted to go to. I worked as an accounts assistant or something similar from now through the application of IEC process & until I left the UK.

Then I do 2 years (assuming I am able to reapply within Canada quickly enough) with IEC, hopefully getting a similar role and gaining Canadian experience in say a city like Vancouver. Once I have that 1 year experience, or 9 months as you said in Canadian experience, I can apply for Provincial Nomination? Is that done with the help of an employer?

Also just quickly, is PNP basically a way of gaining extra time in Canada or a PR through non-professional roles?

Seems too good to be true, when i say this, i mean in a good sense, not in a bu****** sense!! just in case you wondered haha

Last edited by WildfireV2; Apr 16th 2014 at 6:19 pm.
WildfireV2 is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:09 pm
  #32  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,240
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a bit of guidance.

Originally Posted by WildfireV2 View Post
Interesting.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but lets just say BC was the province I wanted to go to. I worked as an accounts assistant or something similar from now through the application of IEC process & until I left the UK.

Then I do 2 years (assuming I am able to reapply within Canada quickly enough) with IEC, hopefully getting a similar role and gaining Canadian experience in say a city like Vancouver. Once I have that 1 year experience, or 9 months as you said in Canadian experience, I can apply for Provincial Nomination? Is that done with the help of an employer?

Also just quickly, is PNP basically a way of gaining extra time in Canada or a PR through non-professional roles?

Seems too good to be true, when i say this, i mean in a good sense, not in a bu****** sense!! just in case you wondered haha
PR is from the Federal government to fill skills shortages.

PNP is from the Province to fill skills shortages.

I'd keep it simple and get 18 good months experience in the UK. Save money.

Come to Canada get bar job whilst finding next Accounting job and then review options once you are in that Canadian accounting position.

At 24 you are not wasting time. My first trip to Canada was 25 and I was only allowed 1 year back then so went back to blighty.

Lastly bare in mind that this is not the land of milk and honey. I hated my first 6 months here and the words emotional roller coaster are well used on this forum.

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 16th 2014 at 7:12 pm.
JamesM is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:15 pm
  #33  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 142
WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a bit of guidance.

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
PR is from the Federal government to fill skills shortages.

PNP is from the Province to fill skills shortages.

I'd keep it simple and get 18 good months experience in the UK. Save money.

Come to Canada get bar job whilst finding next Accounting job and then review options once you are in that Canadian accounting position.

At 24 you are not wasting time. My first trip to Canada was 25 and I was only allowed 1 year back then so went back to blighty.

Lastly bare in mind that this is not the land of milk and honey. I hated my first 6 months here and the words emotional roller coaster are well used on this forum.
Thanks, & yeah I have no illusions that its all going to be easy and peachy on the other side.

Once you actually apply and are accepted if you're lucky enough, whats the usual time for the program to start? September-October time?
WildfireV2 is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:17 pm
  #34  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,498
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a bit of guidance.

Originally Posted by WildfireV2 View Post
Interesting.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but lets just say BC was the province I wanted to go to. I worked as an accounts assistant or something similar from now through the application of IEC process & until I left the UK.

Then I do 2 years (assuming I am able to reapply within Canada quickly enough) with IEC, hopefully getting a similar role and gaining Canadian experience in say a city like Vancouver. Once I have that 1 year experience, or 9 months as you said in Canadian experience, I can apply for Provincial Nomination? Is that done with the help of an employer?

Also just quickly, is PNP basically a way of gaining extra time in Canada or a PR through non-professional roles?

Seems too good to be true, when i say this, i mean in a good sense, not in a bu****** sense!! just in case you wondered haha
You would work in the UK in the job you 'hope' to use as the basis for PR here, getting a year of experience minimum. When you arrive in Canada with the IEC work permit, you find a job doing the same thing.

Please note that with Provincial Nomination semi skilled stream for BC you would have to be in a specific field of employment unless you were prepared to move to the Northern Territories. For the skilled stream for BC you would be able to be working anywhere.

If you were applying under the Provincial Nomination then you would need 9 months if it's semi-skilled work - or could apply immediately if it is skilled - and be nominated by your employer.

Please take some time to read the wiki, the CIC guidelines and the Provincial webpages and you will get more idea of how things work.

Be aware though that Canada is moving over to an expression of interest system (for skilled workers and 'some' Provincial nomination) from January 2015, so this could all be different from then.

Siouxie is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:38 pm
  #35  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,240
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a bit of guidance.

Originally Posted by WildfireV2 View Post
Thanks, & yeah I have no illusions that its all going to be easy and peachy on the other side.

Once you actually apply and are accepted if you're lucky enough, whats the usual time for the program to start? September-October time?
They give you a window to head out. I think I had twelve months back in the day. Your questions on process are better off in the "immigration" section of this forum where lots of other individuals are in the process.
JamesM is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:37 am
  #36  
Bex in the city
 
beckiwoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,809
beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a bit of guidance.

Originally Posted by WildfireV2 View Post

Im 24 now, & often feel like im running out of time, a little bit afraid of wasting more time too.
How do you I think I feel at nearly 30 then?

I have found the area I want to work in (youth work) but I'm unhappy in the UK so that why I am taking a risk and going out on IEC to a) see if I like the country to live there and b) if yes to look into PR routes

My routes to PR are more limited though as my job is in C list on NOC code so I either have to look at Northern BC or find an Canadian hunk of a man for sponsorship lol

If It don't work out I just return here and I will look into doing a masters in social work, if I decide I really like it out there, I'll complete my masters, get some experience in UK and look into going out on one of the skilled routes

As long as you allow for all eventualities, as much as possible then you can't really go wrong
beckiwoo is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:45 am
  #37  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 209
MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice
Default Re: Looking for a bit of guidance.

Originally Posted by beckiwoo View Post
How do you I think I feel at nearly 30 then?

I have found the area I want to work in (youth work) but I'm unhappy in the UK so that why I am taking a risk and going out on IEC to a) see if I like the country to live there and b) if yes to look into PR routes

My routes to PR are more limited though as my job is in C list on NOC code so I either have to look at Northern BC or find an Canadian hunk of a man for sponsorship lol

If It don't work out I just return here and I will look into doing a masters in social work, if I decide I really like it out there, I'll complete my masters, get some experience in UK and look into going out on one of the skilled routes

As long as you allow for all eventualities, as much as possible then you can't really go wrong
Oh aye, I hear you here Becki.

I've been in insurance for 2 years now, nothing particularly special but hopefully it'll get me somewhere along to route to PR (if I decide I want it). Waiting until the next opening of the IEC gives you time, Wildfire, to get some experience in the area you are aiming for. Remember that when you get your acceptance, you have a year from that date to activate it.

You being here and asking questions shows you have more than a passing interest in doing it. Gives you something to happily look forward to also
MrFloyd is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.