Reload this Page >

looking for advice on job search

looking for advice on job search

Old May 19th 2009, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

ayse68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile looking for advice on job search

Hi, im new to the forum.
Im a hairstylist, & been told there is a shortage in Alberta. Iv'e filled out all the necessary forms & have applied for a licence to trade in Alberta, as its compulsory.
My main concern is getting a job offer, as im over here in london. How have all you guys secured a job offer? By phone calls & e-mails?, or have any of you actually gone out to Canada to look for jobs?
Old May 20th 2009, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

marieceleste is on a distinguished road
Default Re: looking for advice on job search

I am not a hairdresser but I work in Alberta. I think your best bet is to trawl the internet, look through the online local pages as lots of jobs are advertised that way. I secured a job with an interview over the phone after finding the job on the net. I had been over here a couple of times to check out the area we would be living in but I didn't have to come out for an interview. You could also look at recruitment agencies as they may be able to help.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for advice on job search

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your best bet is to read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page), that will give you loads of info including how to Canadianize your resume etc. It will also tell you that applying for jobs via the net is unlikely to get a result - Canadians like personal contact.

You need to ideally get out there (that's how most on here have got job offers, in person), or at the very least pick up the phone. Whatever you do, don't pay anybody anything for getting you a job - illegal and unnecessary.

Also, do read the Wiki article entitled 'Labour Shortages' as you may find that hairdressers are in demand in other provinces too, so no point limiting yourself to one province if so. Just be prepared for it to take longer than normal, there are so many Canadians out of work at the mo due to the recession. And to get the LMO, your potential employer would have to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian to do the job - tough criteria at the mo!

Best of luck.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

ayse68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: has anyone used an immigration company?

Thanks for your reply's guy's,
Looks like Alberta it is, its the only province that hairdressers come under (jobs under pressure). Its a good job that we fell in love with Calgary then.
Has anyone used an immigration company? Our one has just gone into liquidation(our £6000 gone down the drain) Were now trying to do it all ourselves.
Old May 21st 2009, 6:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: has anyone used an immigration company?

Originally Posted by ayse68
Thanks for your reply's guy's,
Looks like Alberta it is, its the only province that hairdressers come under (jobs under pressure). Its a good job that we fell in love with Calgary then.
Has anyone used an immigration company? Our one has just gone into liquidation(our £6000 gone down the drain) Were now trying to do it all ourselves.
Depending on which visa route you are going down, the OUP lists may be not be applicable anyway, so do be prepared to consider other locations as well if necessary just to get you over there.

And I've just replied to your question about immigratio consultants on the your other thread.