Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Long haul from UK to Canada

Long haul from UK to Canada

Old Jan 12th 2015, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long haul from UK to Canada

Ok I got a reply back from TAG Logistics.They said they couldnt tell me the cost as it varies from person to person ,in other words ,its a secret!They work with Brazolot Migration Group,which I think is known on these forums and they dont have any vacanies at this moment blah blah but they are advertising on jobsites .
Old Jan 12th 2015, 2:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Ok I got a reply back from TAG Logistics.They said they couldnt tell me the cost as it varies from person to person ,in other words ,its a secret!They work with Brazolot Migration Group,which I think is known on these forums and they dont have any vacanies at this moment blah blah but they are advertising on jobsites .
Oh, that sounds great.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I got my PR driving long haul in the USA.You are working for a canadian company and have a canadian address so its not a problem.
Very true, days outside of Canada are only an issue when you apply for Citizenship. Thats why i haven't applied yet, i don't have the patience to go through one years log sheets for a tax return, there's no way in hell i could through multiple years for citizenship lol I'm waiting until my time running the USA isn't an issue, actually i could probably apply now i should really motivate myself and do it.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 8:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Very true, days outside of Canada are only an issue when you apply for Citizenship. Thats why i haven't applied yet, i don't have the patience to go through one years log sheets for a tax return, there's no way in hell i could through multiple years for citizenship lol I'm waiting until my time running the USA isn't an issue, actually i could probably apply now i should really motivate myself and do it.
If you are working for a Canadian company, does time out of country not count for citizenship days ?

Just curious.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

you have to account for the days outside, i never got in depth into the reasons as the idea i flicking through years and years of log sheets didn't appeal to me lol
So i dropped the idea of applying until i had been running just Canada so i didn't have to go through them I should really motivate now i have bought a place again and get citizenship. There are lots on here who have it who could say for sure if they don't count or if you just have to have a reason why you weren't here.
Although i suppose i should renew my PR card as that expired two years ago lol
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:49 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

So that's a no to answer my question ? I think it's basically up to a judge isn't it according to CIC as a special circumstance.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I recently sent off my citizenship application and if I can remember correctly the CBSA run a check on your time outside Canada.On the application they ask you if you agree to this,if not it may delay the processing time.They probably run it anyway.I have only kept my previous years logsheets ,thrown away the rest (since 2007),the CBSA have it all on computer so let them do the math!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I recently sent off my citizenship application and if I can remember correctly the CBSA run a check on your time outside Canada.On the application they ask you if you agree to this,if not it may delay the processing time.They probably run it anyway.I have only kept my previous years logsheets ,thrown away the rest (since 2007),the CBSA have it all on computer so let them do the math!
thrown them away ? and if you where to get a tax audit ??? lol
I have all of mine from when i arrived just in case. all in neat folders for each year with all the tax paperwork too, Just In case.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

When you go for your interview and test you'll be asked for proof of time spent outside Canada .
Old Jan 16th 2015, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I still got all the tax documents I received from Liberty Tax.Im not an owner operator or own a company so im not worried about being audited.
When I sent my application in I had to photo copy every page in my passport with the entry stamps to US and Mexico and fill out all the dates etc.
If I dont get the citizenship ,Im not worried .I will wait 5 or 6ys and try again
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Tangram
If you are working for a Canadian company, does time out of country not count for citizenship days ?

Just curious.

No, only for maintaining PR status.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Thanks PMM, was just curious for a friend. Fortunately I have mine
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=neilcumming;11535897]I still got all the tax documents I received from Liberty Tax.Im not an owner operator or own a company so im not worried about being audited.
/QUOTE]

Individuals can be audited too, One in MB i know of was and got a demand from the CRA for $9000, Had to pay up straight away as CRA don't take prisoners lol We all wondered how the hell he was getting such huge returns even by trucker standards. One of the reasons i have all mine since i arrived, probably don't need to keep all of them but they take up very little space.
His unfortunate incident was why i started using HR Block because if they mess up your taxes they pay the CRA if they demand money, may have been between $130 & $200 for one return but i had peace of mind
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

I could claim probably more than I currently do but because we get a meal allowance I keep it straight and above board , not worth the aggro for a couple of grand after an audit . I also know a couple of company drivers who've had a knock on the door .
Old Jan 17th 2015, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

The biggest tax return I have had is $2400 and that was last year.I only work 6 months of the year.Do you think CRA will find me in Mexico LOL.I will take your advice on board and keep my logsheets from now on and look at using HR Block