Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Long haul from UK to Canada

Long haul from UK to Canada

Old Dec 11th 2014, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long haul from UK to Canada

Originally Posted by JenJam
Really?? :/ I've read on more than one site that 55 is the cut off age in order to emigrate to Canada. I'm very pleased to hear that though
It seems you're reading a lot of out of date (or just plain wrong!) information. Do stick to the CIC website - and maybe this excellent forum of course - so that you can be sure you're getting up to date info.

No age limit on TWPs at all!

HTH.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

well its naughty but i know lots use "friends" mailing addresses here lol Till they get their PR ! And of course i have NEVER allowed my home address to be used....ever lol
As for the cut off age as stated theres nothing official BUT flat deck outfits likely won't take dave as its very physical and older guys are more likely to go out and get a nice easy van job once they have PR.
Servicing is around once a month, you could once here get your truckers license too, But you cant run team as that means your driving unsupervised so it would be what we call "Super Single" you can drive some of the time but dave would have to be in the shotgun seat supervising you, If your caught driving with him sleeping your in do do with your company lol That would last for up to a year before your allowed to run as a full team so the truck is moving 24 hours a day. A lot just stay super single and share driving as they have issues sleeping while the truck is moving etc etc
Old Dec 11th 2014, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

JenJam is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha in that case I may have to keep in touch with you lol!
Dave isn't your typical 49year old. He is set on flat decks and definitely wouldn't want a an "easy" van job as he thinks he'd get fat lol he wants to do flatdecks as it would keep him active, he wouldn't be happy with just sitting in the truck and not having to see to the load etc. Dave has said about "super single" which I think is what we would head for. And that sounds perfect to be honest as I'd thought that if I were to get my license in Canada I would have to be supervised by a driver with experience in the country for a while before I could drive with Dave? Also if I came over as Dave's spouse would that not mean that I wouldn't be able to go for my license as I wouldn't be able to work until I had gained PR?
Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJam
Haha in that case I may have to keep in touch with you lol!
Dave isn't your typical 49year old. He is set on flat decks and definitely wouldn't want a an "easy" van job as he thinks he'd get fat lol he wants to do flatdecks as it would keep him active, he wouldn't be happy with just sitting in the truck and not having to see to the load etc. Dave has said about "super single" which I think is what we would head for. And that sounds perfect to be honest as I'd thought that if I were to get my license in Canada I would have to be supervised by a driver with experience in the country for a while before I could drive with Dave? Also if I came over as Dave's spouse would that not mean that I wouldn't be able to go for my license as I wouldn't be able to work until I had gained PR?
I have many europeans (specially eastern) come here for a "visit" and get their license, got an old LMO and stayed but dave needs to drive here himself for six months or a year before you go for super single. With recent rule changes i'm not a 100% certain about getting your license, BUT your not actually working so that loophole may still be open.
I will put feelers out to recruiting friends and see if any decking outfits are looking. Most wont do decks as its hard work. Where i am now we arent doing the immigration thing but that may change next year but here your paid 47c per mile for straight trailers, 50c for Super Bs and 53c per mile for any over size + up to 4c per mile in bonuses + $30 for loading and tarping and all authorized waiting time and $150 per day lay over. In time if you where here you would get a shot at the winter ice roads too.
Those rates are in Alberta (oil Country) so others in Canada won't pay anything like that so they are just a guide for you but many drivers here net $3000 bi weekly But with those rates YES i'm picky who i make an offer to.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

JenJam is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it that's not do-able now with all the cuts in progress?lol. So i'd just have to ride shotgun with him for 6months- a year before I could drive.. I suppose I'd just have to put up with all of the oh so horrible scenery while Dave trundles along lol. I'll have to look into that loophole as that does sound a good way of going about things!
Thanks for that Do many of them do the USA aswell as Canada?
Alberta would be our first stop in looking for work, well, as it would be anyone's I expect. And we'd be interested in the ice roads too as we've looked into that side of it a little.
Your rates sound alright... But then me and Dave are pretty picky too

I hope you don't mind me asking but how have you come to be in Canada? And how long have you lived there?
Old Dec 11th 2014, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

been here 9 years, just decided i needed a change so sold everything that wouldn't fit in a suitcase and a holdall and after i got the green light i bought a one way ticket, but i was single so much easier for me than people with families.
Most outfits will insist you run the USA so you both need to have a clean criminal search to be border capable. Great fun picking up a trailer in -40c snow storm and then unloading in shorts & a T shirt in southern USA lol Been there done that and had a mexican fork truck driver wrapped up like an eskimo with a bright orange rapist style balaclava call me crazy english cause i was in shorts and a t shirt sweating like crazy untarping lol
And having a wife riding shot gun is a bonus, fresh coffee on demand, sandwiches, on demand lol
Each province has it plus and minus, Housing here can be expensive, i just recently found a renovated 2 bed condo in edmonton for $174,000 which is a steal because its in a good area !! An extended visit is best and hire a good four wheel drive SUV to get around if its february.
Bring an equifax credit report with you when you actually move here, i found having that opened a lot of doors for me.
Dave will have health care with his company so only you will need some for the USA.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be better for you if you obtained your UK LGV license and some experience before making the move to Canada.Why wait?All foreign drivers have to sit the canadian test and airbrakes test so it will help you through that.As for an address you can use your companies address as a base address ,most company drivers have their own mailboxes for memos,payslips etc.The LMIAs are pretty scarce at the moment ,I have been searching through a few of the well known companies websites who were doing the LMIAs and they are not advertising for foreign anymore.However things do change ,just need to wait awhile.I also think you will have to broaden your horizons in your search and include Manitoba and Saskatchewan and any type of driving not just flatbeds.I know Big Freight in Steinbach MB who do flatbeds were hiring foreign drivers .They dont say anything about LMIAs on there website but you could call them and ask what the situation is.I got to know a couple from NZ who drove team for Challenger,they started off with an LMO from Kee Human Resources in Winnipeg then became full time with Challenger.Might be worth a try
Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I think it would be better for you if you obtained your UK LGV license and some experience before making the move to Canada.Why wait?All foreign drivers have to sit the canadian test and airbrakes test so it will help you through that.As for an address you can use your companies address as a base address ,most company drivers have their own mailboxes for memos,payslips etc.The LMIAs are pretty scarce at the moment ,I have been searching through a few of the well known companies websites who were doing the LMIAs and they are not advertising for foreign anymore.However things do change ,just need to wait awhile.I also think you will have to broaden your horizons in your search and include Manitoba and Saskatchewan and any type of driving not just flatbeds.I know Big Freight in Steinbach MB who do flatbeds were hiring foreign drivers .They dont say anything about LMIAs on there website but you could call them and ask what the situation is.I got to know a couple from NZ who drove team for Challenger,they started off with an LMO from Kee Human Resources in Winnipeg then became full time with Challenger.Might be worth a try
Big Freight where using LMIAs or LMOs but only for drivers already here looking to change companies. They stopped actually bringing drivers over themselves some time ago.
If they intend to be here next spring/summer i don't see the point of the ridiculous expense of getting a UK truck license that she will barely use before she leaves and isn't transferable ? Don't forget she can't go straight for a class 1 there now she has to go class 2 first then her CPC. She may as well have lessons here in the country she intends to drive and then have dave slowly ease her into driving a truck here, I know quite a few UK husband & wife teams who did it that way no problem. Once the nest is empty the Mrs doesnt want to stay home alone so it's very popular for them to go super single together.
Plenty of outfits have LMIAs but until they reduced their TFWs to less than 10% of their total workforce they cant use them otherwise they wont meet the deadline for 10% and they'll have to start firing people and sending them back to their home country. It's just a matter of being patient and it will start to move again but unlikely at the levels we have seen in the past.
Oh an FYI ! One well known company recruiting abroad just had their ass kicked by immigration for using mail boxes etc at their office for PR applications, You really should use a real mailing address of a real home, with all the rule tightening you just don't want to give them an excuse to send you back to the UK.

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Dec 12th 2014 at 3:18 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:19 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Before someone chews me out for bad info, I am no truck driver and know very little about it BUT my cousin had an interview with Midland (Irving) in NB and it went ok, and I know another Brit who works for them. I heard they are always looking for drivers.
Is it worth looking them up and contacting them? They are long haul...
Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Before someone chews me out for bad info, I am no truck driver and know very little about it BUT my cousin had an interview with Midland (Irving) in NB and it went ok, and I know another Brit who works for them. I heard they are always looking for drivers.
Absolutely worth it ! If they are under their 10% they can recruit from abroad !
New Brunswick is cheap to live too but work is scarce but being a trucker Dave can work for anyone he chooses. I have lots from that area, if they break 10,000 miles per month we fly them home for time off at our expense.
Definitely worth contacting them !
Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Big Freight where using LMIAs or LMOs but only for drivers already here looking to change companies. They stopped actually bringing drivers over themselves some time ago.
If they intend to be here next spring/summer i don't see the point of the ridiculous expense of getting a UK truck license that she will barely use before she leaves and isn't transferable ? Don't forget she can't go straight for a class 1 there now she has to go class 2 first then her CPC. She may as well have lessons here in the country she intends to drive and then have dave slowly ease her into driving a truck here, I know quite a few UK husband & wife teams who did it that way no problem. Once the nest is empty the Mrs doesnt want to stay home alone so it's very popular for them to go super single together.
Plenty of outfits have LMIAs but until they reduced their TFWs to less than 10% of their total workforce they cant use them otherwise they wont meet the deadline for 10% and they'll have to start firing people and sending them back to their home country. It's just a matter of being patient and it will start to move again but unlikely at the levels we have seen in the past.
Oh an FYI ! One well known company recruiting abroad just had their ass kicked by immigration for using mail boxes etc at their office for PR applications, You really should use a real mailing address of a real home, with all the rule tightening you just don't want to give them an excuse to send you back to the UK.
Yes as I said I checked their website and no info on LMIAs but no harm in phoning,nothing tried,nothing gained eh.
Yes your right about the UK licenses ,forgot the changes but even driving a class 2 straight truck is some experience.I knew a driver (or was supposed to be a driver) in Winnipeg from UK had 2 accidents with 2 different companies on TWP .When he went to apply for 3rd job and 3rd TWP (this was 2007) he was told to pack his bags.The couple from NZ the wife was experienced but it took her 5 times to pass the test,cost them a lot of $ in lessons and fees.
Of course you need a home address for PR but the OP question wasnt related to PR application,it was more to do with just arriving in Canada.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Howefamily
No harm in trying.East coast companies dont pay too good but if you want into Canada its a foot in the door.I checked out another east coast company and they are still advertising for foreign drivers if the OP wants the name ,dont want to get chewed out either lol

Last edited by neilcumming; Dec 12th 2014 at 3:52 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also once Dave is a PR he can teach her himself for a start which will save lots if she can already back up etc
Old Dec 12th 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I knew a driver (or was supposed to be a driver) in Winnipeg from UK had 2 accidents with 2 different companies on TWP .When he went to apply for 3rd job and 3rd TWP (this was 2007) he was told to pack his bags

I remember a couple came over in the Winnipeg area, His Girlfriend didn't declare a DUI (drinking and driving) on her license, She was refused PR and they kicked her out ! Seemed very mean to me but they can be that way sometimes.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
I knew a driver (or was supposed to be a driver) in Winnipeg from UK had 2 accidents with 2 different companies on TWP .When he went to apply for 3rd job and 3rd TWP (this was 2007) he was told to pack his bags

I remember a couple came over in the Winnipeg area, His Girlfriend didn't declare a DUI (drinking and driving) on her license, She was refused PR and they kicked her out ! Seemed very mean to me but they can be that way sometimes.
That does sound a bit harsh.The driver I knew from Winnipeg had been in Canada for over 2yrs but never bothered applying for PR.Dont know why,maybe he had criminal record and thought he couldnt obtain PR but had no option but to sell their house and return to UK with wife and 2 kids .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.