Reload this Page >

Long distance job applications

Wikiposts

Long distance job applications

Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:59 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long distance job applications

I am in discussions with a recruiter in BC about a role. Obviously I am in the UK, they are in Canada. Has anyone been through a long distance application process? The role is in a smaller town so it is kinda hard to say 'yes I will take the job' and go an live somewhere I don't know. How would this affect my PR application if the job does not pan out?

thanks

James
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all
Default Re: Long distance job applications

Originally Posted by oicur0t
I am in discussions with a recruiter in BC about a role. Obviously I am in the UK, they are in Canada. Has anyone been through a long distance application process? The role is in a smaller town so it is kinda hard to say 'yes I will take the job' and go an live somewhere I don't know. How would this affect my PR application if the job does not pan out?

thanks

James
Remind us what route you are taking to PR. If you're applying under FSW Cat 1 then it won't make any difference at all.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:50 pm
Hello.

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
Remind us what route you are taking to PR. If you're applying under FSW Cat 1 then it won't make any difference at all.
Yes I am under FSW cat 1. I figured that as soon as a PR visa is issued, then it's final and that any points gained by it in the adaptability section do not force you to take the job.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by oicur0t
Yes I am under FSW cat 1. I figured that as soon as a PR visa is issued, then it's final and that any points gained by it in the adaptability section do not force you to take the job.
Do you mean that you are claiming the 10 points for having arranged employment in Skills Classes A, B or 0?

In that case I don't know for definite, but I would imagine you would have to show that the employment was not a sham. If it didn't work out after six months I would have thought you'd be okay, but if you didn't last a week there may be questions as to whether or not it was a real job offer.

Was that what you meant of have I missed the point?

Last edited by MarkSurrey; Apr 7th 2009 at 11:01 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:09 am
Hello.

Yes that's correct. I have enough points anyway, if I take my French test and get 1 point. But it feels safer moving to Canada with prearranged employment, even if not my ideal role. Conversely, it's not my ideal location and not necessarily where we would choose to live, so I don't know if it would a help or a hindrance pursuing the role if it is more likely to interfere with any terms in my PR visa application.