British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Long distance calling (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/long-distance-calling-558295/)

garvard Aug 30th 2008 3:00 am

Long distance calling

Please advise how to make a long distance call from Canadian home phone or cellular for less.
Thanks.

Danny B Aug 30th 2008 3:23 am

Re: Long distance calling

Buy a pre-paid phone card.

Mikey B Aug 30th 2008 3:27 am

Originally Posted by garvard (Post 6730187)
Please advise how to make a long distance call from Canadian home phone or cellular for less.
Thanks.

www.vonage.com

or Im with rogers cell - pay for intl discount saver

or https://shop.goldline.net/agent_access/home.asp

garvard Aug 30th 2008 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Mikey B (Post 6730221)
www.vonage.com

or Im with rogers cell - pay for intl discount saver

or https://shop.goldline.net/agent_access/home.asp

I checked vonage but the do not work in New Brunswick. Any other advise

Simon Legree Aug 30th 2008 4:00 am

Thanks.

I use Primus. I call Canada, US & UK for 5 cents per min, home or cel phone. Never had a problem and have used them for several years.

Canada2006 Aug 30th 2008 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Simon Legree (Post 6730257)
I use Primus. I call Canada, US & UK for 5 cents per min, home or cel phone. Never had a problem and have used them for several years.

Try mobivox.com

You call a local number (for free) then it's 1.9 cents a minute I think.

pinkmcfarquhar Aug 30th 2008 5:08 am

I use a vox prepaid card - it's what's worked out cheapest for us. spend about 10-15 bucks a month on it, and thats probably 2hrs phone calls every week back to UK. Good if you are doing long calls - it's a set charge for the phone call, then a low rate every minute.

clynnog Aug 30th 2008 5:20 am

Thanks.

Whatever you do, don't rely on Bell Canada....I have a 1000 CDN LD minutes per month feature with my Rogers cell which was supposed to be $5/month, but I got it for free soon after.

Surrey Expat Aug 30th 2008 5:45 am

We use Telus, unlimited North America, 6 calling features and 1000 minutes overseas.

mandymoochops Aug 30th 2008 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat (Post 6730459)
We use Telus, unlimited North America, 6 calling features and 1000 minutes overseas.

Yep i got that too :thumbsup:

garvard Aug 30th 2008 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat (Post 6730459)

And what is your monthly payment (if it is not a secret)?

Surrey Expat Aug 30th 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by garvard (Post 6731100)
And what is your monthly payment (if it is not a secret)?

Including Internet and phone line we pay about $100 a month. It worked out way cheaper than we were paying before without the bundle. Breaking it down the phone bit is about $45 a month for unlimited North America and 1000 international. We spend way more than that on calls and the calling features are included.

Rob4BC Aug 30th 2008 3:06 pm

If you have ADSL/Broadband internet you should check out Skype.
With features like Skype to Skype for free calls, Skype out for cheap calls, Skype in for incoming calls from your own UK number for folks back in UK to call, and Skype to go for making calls cheap from any landlines/cells.

Rob ;)

cornmatthew Aug 30th 2008 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog (Post 6730411)
Whatever you do, don't rely on Bell Canada....I have a 1000 CDN LD minutes per month feature with my Rogers cell which was supposed to be $5/month, but I got it for free soon after.

No kidding.

If you're with Bell (or another incumbent provider), you can switch your long-distance carrier. That means that another company will carry your long-distance calls and charge you for them instead of Bell. There's no need to dial any 10-10 prefix or calling card once you've done that.

There's another good reason to switch your long distance provider. Bell charges a "network charge" of $5.95 on top of its advertised long-distance plan fees. Even Bell's "free" $0.15/minute plan actually costs $5.95 a month!

Some of Bell's biggest competitors pull the same trick, so check what you're signing up to when you switch. Yak and 3web are cheapish companies that don't have a network charge.

You can check who your current long-distance provider is. Dial 1-700-555-4141 (a free call) and listen to the recording.

This is for land line phones only. You can't do this from a cell phone.

the undutchables Aug 30th 2008 4:55 pm

Thanks.

We buy an International Phone card from Walmart, a $10 dollar card has made about 8 half hour calls to the UK, and it still has 2 or 3 dollars on it. Call charges are only 3.5 cents a minute.