Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London vs Toronto - move or not

London vs Toronto - move or not

Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:14 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London vs Toronto - move or not

There ya go.....you know it mate

It's a lundun thing innit? Best city in the world and all that. London is sexy and you know it

I still laugh when people complain that TO is huge, with only a 1/4 of the popln of London

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
London is shit hot

Last edited by ultrarunner; Nov 14th 2012 at 2:34 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:22 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madnellie
Personally I'd pick Toronto as I love it and can't abide London, but to each their own. As others have said you've nothing to lose by coming over to visit and that might help you to decide whether or not it's for you
What do you like about toronto then. And so dislike about London?

I avoid Toronto like the plague. Dirty ugly only good thing I have seen so far are the Islands. But that's hardly typical.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Madnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud of

Hi bats. I'm the opposite to you. Personally I find London rather than Toronto dirty, ugly and also too fast moving. I'm a small town lass though so that might have something to do with it. I'll agree with dbd there is some beautiful architecture under the grime and the free museums are great but I have found better pubs elsewhere in the UK. I can appreciate it for a weekend but as a place to live.... it's not for me.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:26 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
There ya go.....you know it mate

It's a lundun thing innit? Best city in the world and all that. London is sexy and you know it

I still laugh when people complain that TO is huge, with only a 1/4 of the popln of London
Damn right it is..only downside is London is definitely a younger persons paradise.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Amusing to hear that London is the best city in the world...from people who could live there but don't!

I've lived in London and Toronto. They both have their pros and cons. As I said before, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everything is subjective. People's perspectives on life change as their circumstances change.

I enjoyed the London nightlife but Toronto has some pretty good nightlife as well. As a family man, I felt that Toronto was a better place for kids - at least at the time I was there.

Toronto is much sunnier (almost 50% more hours of sunshine per year) and cities definitely look better when the sun is shining. However, who knows what will happen with climate change.

Toronto frequently ranks high (much higher than London) in quality of life surveys (e.g. #4 behind Melbourne, Vienna and Vancouver in the Economic Intelligence Unit survey).

There are actually quite a few cities in Europe I would like to live in ahead of London but, again, that's subjective and my personal view.

Whether something is the "best" or "better" is subjective and you'll find people that will agree or disagree with any point of view.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Amusing to hear that London is the best city in the world...from people who could live there but don't!
Do I hear the sound of rattling pots and kettles?
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:22 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madnellie
Hi bats. I'm the opposite to you. Personally I find London rather than Toronto dirty, ugly and also too fast moving. I'm a small town lass though so that might have something to do with it. I'll agree with dbd there is some beautiful architecture under the grime and the free museums are great but I have found better pubs elsewhere in the UK. I can appreciate it for a weekend but as a place to live.... it's not for me.
London feels like home to me. Am not so keen on the Oxford Street bits but otherwise, that's my place. Grime?? When were you last there 1880?

I've lived in London and Toronto. They both have their pros and cons. As I said before, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everything is subjective. People's perspectives on life change as their circumstances change.

I enjoyed the London nightlife but Toronto has some pretty good nightlife as well. As a family man, I felt that Toronto was a better place for kids - at least at the time I was there.

Toronto is much sunnier (almost 50% more hours of sunshine per year) and cities definitely look better when the sun is shining. However, who knows what will happen with climate change.

Toronto frequently ranks high (much higher than London) in quality of life surveys (e.g. #4 behind Melbourne, Vienna and Vancouver in the Economic Intelligence Unit survey).

There are actually quite a few cities in Europe I would like to live in ahead of London but, again, that's subjective and my personal view.

Whether something is the "best" or "better" is subjective and you'll find people that will agree or disagree with any point of view.
Ah, it's for the children's sake, of course!

I'd live there like a flash if I had the money and more importantly my country bumpkin husband could deal with it.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do I hear the sound of rattling pots and kettles?
Dunno. You been smoking the devil's weed again?
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I felt that Toronto was a better place for kids - at least at the time I was there.

Toronto is much sunnier (almost 50% more hours of sunshine per year) and cities definitely look better when the sun is shining.

Any reasons you say it's a better place for kids ???

Sunshine is part of the the climate criterion, and considering Toronto's winter, which has the better climate is debatable.

Survey says...is the absolute worst reason to choose a city. It's like choosing a friend who has been voted "best personality" it's totally bogus.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bats
London feels like home to me. Am not so keen on the Oxford Street bits but otherwise, that's my place. Grime?? When were you last there 1880?
Recently visited my brother in Kingsbury (near where I used to live). He said it's a sh*thole compared to when he first moved there almost 20 years ago. Although it's by no means the worst part of London. I never mentioned "grime" by the way.

Ah, it's for the children's sake, of course!
Not for everybody...but for some people. Also not the only issue to consider. And it doesn't even apply to everybody anyway.

I'd live there like a flash if I had the money and more importantly my country bumpkin husband could deal with it.
While you're entitled to it, your personal view isn't always right for (or even apply to) other people. I know plenty of people who prefer Toronto over London...and vice versa. All for a variety of reasons.

Like I said before, I've seen Toronto ranked high on many quality of life surveys for cities. I can't remember ever seeing one where London ranked higher than Toronto but maybe there is one.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
Any reasons you say it's a better place for kids ???
I didn't say Toronto is a better place for kids. I personally found it better for my kids but that was the result of my personal experience (which may not apply to everyone). I got tired of crappy weather in London. I got tired of finding dog crap, litter, and broken glass in the playgrounds I took my kids to. I found the people in Toronto (and in Canada in general) more approachable and friendlier and it was therefore easier to find things to do with the kids. These are just a few of the reasons.

Sunshine is part of the the climate criterion, and considering Toronto's winter, which has the better climate is debatable.
Again, weather is a personal preference. I know people who hated the grey skies in London and prefer cold, sunny days in Toronto and even like snow and winter activities. There's no definitive, "one size fits all" answer.

Survey says...is the absolute worst reason to choose a city. It's like choosing a friend who has been voted "best personality" it's totally bogus.
I guess "survey" was the wrong word. Many are a bit more scientific than that. I should have said "study". And yes, not a reason in itself to choose somewhere but surely an indication that Toronto has something going for it. And it consistently beats London in these studies. However, it's possible that's worth about what you paid for it.

As I said, preferring one over the other is subjective and opinions can change over time as one's personal circumstances and preferences change. I enjoyed living in both cities and both have a lot going for them. Like any city, both also have issues that may or may not affect you personally.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 2:28 pm
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

Originally this thread wasn`t about whether London was a better a city than Toronto, it was about whether the OP thought that people on this forum should move to a city (or country) her husband had never visited but was supposed to be in love with and without jobs to go to and without wishing to state the`bleedin`obvious, the answer from the majority is NO, ffs NO !
If I had the income that this couple have I`d be off to London like a shot but I don`t and neither do many others.

And London IS better than Toronto, so there.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 2:46 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all irrelevant. Anyone who reads the first post and then recommends that the OP move to Toronto based on those circumstances is a ****ing idiot.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by How long
And London IS better than Toronto, so there.
That depends on what you're talking about. For example, if you prefer more hours of sunshine, Toronto is "better" than London. If you want to ice skate outdoors in the winter, Toronto is "better" than London. If you like snow and outdoor winter activities, Toronto is "better" than London. If you want easy access to the US, Toronto is "better" than London. If you want easy access to Europe, London is "better" than Toronto. Someone living on the Toronto Islands might think that's "better" than living in Brixton. Everything is subjective.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 2:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Everything is subjective.
>cites quality of life studies
>states that everything is subjective

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.