Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London vs Toronto - move or not

London vs Toronto - move or not

Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:01 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London vs Toronto - move or not

Originally Posted by Shard
As biz analysts they would need to be in the office for meetings. Also, only one is freelance (the other permanent). Other than that, great idea.
Great comment. Not. If they move, neither would have a job. bats was suggesting keeping the present position and home working.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah. Two cans of Pride and the second half of a bottle of Cotes du Rhone left from yesterday. Dramatic day too. Best bang it on the head then.
Tut, tut. You know that my tipple of choice is a Cotes du Rhones, but let me advise you that keeping a half bottle overnight is very silly, not just for the obvious reason.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:05 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

1. I'd be thrilled to hear that there's something else (accepting that I've already listed lots of activities involving killing things in the country). There's lots of religion, of course, something one doesn't get in the UK, and quilting's big. After that I'm struggling. What you got?

2. I'm adjusted to the work ethic, that I'll concede, I now think it wrong to take a day off and be paid for it and I'm now comfortable with firing people because they breed. We have a corporate policy that no one can take a holiday out of cell phone range and I'm lobbying to move that to "nowhere out of internet range". Just today I had to rant at someone who's visiting Istanbul because she was slow in responding to an emailed request, she said she'd been offline for most of a day. That's just not professional.
1. Ummmmmmmm......Timmys?

2. That doesn't sound very civilised. Let me guess, accounting, law or oil...?!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:08 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Great comment. Not. If they move, neither would have a job. bats was suggesting keeping the present position and home working.
He was suggesting teleworking in the same jobs from Toronto, I believe.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:15 am
Born again atheist

He was suggesting teleworking in the same jobs from Toronto, I believe.
Job, or jobs?

Also, If I'm not wrong, it was a she. The major wage earner.

I know, it's hard to imagine. Dogs, country and all that.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 13th 2012 at 2:18 am.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:46 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

As biz analysts they would need to be in the office for meetings. Also, only one is freelance (the other permanent). Other than that, great idea.
She said husband was thinking of going freelance next year. That makes both of them freelance.

Teleconference, Skype? Both are used rather frequently these days.

Last edited by bats; Nov 13th 2012 at 2:49 am.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:15 am
Yo

Originally Posted by bats
She said husband was thinking of going freelance next year. That makes both of them freelance.

Teleconference, Skype? Both are used rather frequently these days.
Ah, right. Didn't see that bit about husband planning to go freelance. Good point about Skype, but I am still not sure whether it would be feasible for a BA to work in that way, a tester or web designer maybe...
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:59 am
Yo

3. No, a running joke. A bit of a weak one as iced hockey is suspended yet again.

4. Surely there's no history to speak of and that's a problem for Europeans. It's partly why Canada seems so superficial, to offer little beyond retail. I'm not sure what you mean by a sense of place, I don't quite buy the idea that any Canadians think they're at the centre of the universe, I think they mostly see themselves as Americans at arm's length.

5. I don't get the sense of humour, there are only so many "hoser" jokes one can smile indulgently through. McLean and McLean, Bob and Doug Mackenzie, Red Green, offer the same jokes with varying degrees of swearing. Corner Gas dispenses with jokes completely. Canadians would, I think, concede that they don't do humour. I think it's the climate, Norwegians aren't funny either.

3. Ok quite a nice joke if intentional, may even start to use it!

4. Well there is some history, there's the Indians connection, there's geological
and archeological history; though I would concede Canadians are generally far less interested in the topic of History than Brits. Sense of place could be being part of a great land mass, an attachment to the Rockies, the Arctic, the Praries, in the same way Brits might be attached to Lake District or the coast.

5. For humour you have to extend to North America and include the US; that's part of the cultural package. A Canadian will get American jokes in a way a Brit wouldn't as there is the same cultural reference points. There are quite a few well known Canadian humourists: Mike Myers, Jim Carey, John Candy come to mind, not quite the same league as British humour, but not as dire as Bob & Doug etc..
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

2. That doesn't sound very civilised. Let me guess, accounting, law or oil...?!
Freelance computer consulting.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:00 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

The OP must be F*****G mental even to think about swapping London for Toronto on those incomes esp having never actually been to Canada..im surprised with all that dosh you have never been on Holiday here... seems bizarre
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
The OP must be F*****G mental even to think about swapping London for Toronto on those incomes esp having never actually been to Canada..im surprised with all that dosh you have never been on Holiday here... seems bizarre
Don't hold back. Tell us how you feel.
(I agree, BTW)
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:43 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Why is that bizarre? Perhaps they like the south of France, skiing in the Alps, Morrocco instead? Here is another take on it, perhaps they drive range Rover, BMW and Audis and the house is furnished to the Ts?

London is not for everyone, especially if you weren't born there

Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:41 pm
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

[QUOTE=ultrarunner;10380643]Why is that bizarre? Perhaps they like the south of France, skiing in the Alps, Morrocco instead? Here is another take on it, perhaps they drive range Rover, BMW and Audis and the house is furnished to the Ts?

London is not for everyone, especially if you weren't born there [/QUOTE

I would have thought it bizarre because the OP`s other half is in love with a country he`s never been to, the same way it would be bizarre to be in love with somebody you`ve never met or seen but know they exist. To want to move to a country you`d never been to, to earn less money, if you managed to get a job, thats bizarre.
If the guy liked skiing in the Alps you would think he`d done it at some time in his life not just read about it.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 5:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

This... A thousand times this.

OP, spend a few weeks on holiday here - it's not like you can't afford it ffs. But seriously, forget the whole idea as it's as mental as cheeky_monkey says it is.

(assuming the OP isn't some elaborate troll)
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:22 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to call you out on this? Are you saying people can't be in love with a person or place they've never visited? How do you explain Russian / other Eastern European, and Philipino brides to Western men?

The power of the internet allows for this to be possible in this day and age. May be the OP's husband has been watching all those relocation move shows?

Originally Posted by How long
the same way it would be bizarre to be in love with somebody you`ve never met or seen but know they exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.