Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London vs Toronto - move or not

London vs Toronto - move or not

Old Nov 12th 2012, 10:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London vs Toronto - move or not

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But Markham has better Chinese restaurants.

I call BS here. I very much doubt that a 7X salary mortgage is obtainable anywhere in Canada. I also doubt that you could buy a detached house 30 km from Big Ben for 500K sterling, or as you so quaintly put it, real money.
Your doubts are misplaced, Rightmove lists 27 detached houses in Reigate (Surrey) about 30km from Big Ben, ranging from £250K-£495K.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I used the phrase "small c culture" in acceptance that the way people live is a "culture" even though one doesn't think of Walmart, the Keg and iced hockey as being culture in the sense that art galleries and opera are Culture."Milton Keynes" said Bill Bryson "was built by some who heard about America on the radio"
I think you're defining Canadian culture too narrowly if it's just down to retail and ice hockey (I do hope the "iced" was a spellcheck/typo error). My original point was that the way of thinking, the history, the sense of place, the sense of humour (or lack thereof), the work ethic, the attitude towards immigrants, etc, etc, is part of culture, and that may be what attracts some expats. Probably not the ones on these boards, probably the ones who are well assimilated.

Like the Bryson quote, and think that about sums MK up: superficially America, but British through and through. A bit like those people who insist Victoria is just like England.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

jrr773 is an unknown quantity at this point

I call BS here. I very much doubt that a 7X salary mortgage is obtainable anywhere in Canada. I also doubt that you could buy a detached house 30 km from Big Ben for 500K sterling, or as you so quaintly put it, real money.
That was the info as told to me. The woman is a chartered accountant working for the Ontario Public Service so I assume has stable employment prospects. My point is on a Canadian salary houses here are no more affordable than the UK - in this area at least (and as others have shown the reverse is possible). As for downtown Toronto it seems to be trying to replicate Vancouver with condos being built on every corner. What happens to all those $500K 2 bed units when interest rates go up?

As for your comment about mortgages not being available on that type of salary multiple the report below states house prices are 12 times disposable income, and it was reported recently debt ratios here have reached 162% per household. At the US peak it was 170%.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...article549440/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4613321/
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:53 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by jrr773
As for your comment about mortgages not being available on that type of salary multiple the report below states house prices are 12 times disposable income, and it was reported recently debt ratios here have reached 162% per household. At the US peak it was 170%.
Two risk factors: rising rates (unlikely) drop in foreign investment (likely).
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:17 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Debt service ratios are fixed by the government. A regulated and licensed mortgage lender has to follow the rules which require housing costs to be less than 32% of gross household income, using the bank's posted 5 year fixed rate. It is about 4 x salary. 7 x salary might be available from a private, unregulated, lender but it is highly unusual.

Last edited by JonboyE; Nov 13th 2012 at 12:20 am.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:41 am
Yo

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Debt service ratios are fixed by the government. A regulated and licensed mortgage lender has to follow the rules which require housing costs to be less than 32% of gross household income, using the bank's posted 5 year fixed rate. It is about 4 x salary. 7 x salary might be available from a private, unregulated, lender but it is highly unusual.
From Vancouver Sun August 2012...

The report says that in Vancouver, home ownership costs, including mortgage payments, utilities and property taxes, take up 91 per cent of a typical household's monthly pre-tax income. As a comparison, Edmonton's affordability measure is 32.4 per cent and Toronto's is 54.5 per cent.

I guess it depends where your mortgage broker lives!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
From Vancouver Sun August 2012...

The report says that in Vancouver, home ownership costs, including mortgage payments, utilities and property taxes, take up 91 per cent of a typical household's monthly pre-tax income. As a comparison, Edmonton's affordability measure is 32.4 per cent and Toronto's is 54.5 per cent.

I guess it depends where your mortgage broker lives!
But you and jrr miss the point entirely. He says average house prices in Vancouver (and I'd suggest in central London) are 12x average earnings: you say that home ownership costs are 91% of a "typical" household's pretax income.

Proverbial apples and proverbial oranges. Average earning folk in central London don't own detached houses: typical households who have "typical" incomes in Vancouver don't own anything more that an apartment, excepting perhaps the odd few who don't need a mortgage.

Since this is BE, I'd add that those few are not from the UK.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What's 30km in miles, approx 20 miles? If so, that's definitely possible - here is one from our old village 18 miles from Big Ben............http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...5.html/nomsite And I'm sure 20 miles in other directions would be cheaper.

Granted, it's not the most attractive of houses but it's possible! We paid quite a bit less than that for our 4 bed detached in Bucks which was only a few miles further out of London.
OK. OK. I chose 30km because that's about how far Markham (and Richmond Hill) is from the CN Tower. Yes, you can find something closer to downtown TO for less, but it won't be a detached house with a reasonable garden.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:30 am
Born again atheist

OK. OK. I chose 30km because that's about how far Markham (and Richmond Hill) is from the CN Tower. Yes, you can find something closer to downtown TO for less, but it won't be a detached house with a reasonable garden.
Edit: I belatedly looked at the link. FFS.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:34 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by jrr773
That was the info as told to me. The woman is a chartered accountant working for the Ontario Public Service so I assume has stable employment prospects.
I imagine she makes a decent screw, say $200K? So some bank or other was happy to mortgage a $1.4 million purchase on that? Dream on.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're defining Canadian culture too narrowly if it's just down to retail and ice hockey.
I'd be thrilled to hear that there's something else (accepting that I've already listed lots of activities involving killing things in the country). There's lots of religion, of course, something one doesn't get in the UK, and quilting's big. After that I'm struggling. What you got?

(I do hope the "iced" was a spellcheck/typo error).
No, a running joke. A bit of a weak one as iced hockey is suspended yet again.

My original point was that the way of thinking, the history, the sense of place, the sense of humour (or lack thereof), the work ethic, the attitude towards immigrants, etc, etc, is part of culture, and that may be what attracts some expats. Probably not the ones on these boards, probably the ones who are well assimilated.
Surely there's no history to speak of and that's a problem for Europeans. It's partly why Canada seems so superficial, to offer little beyond retail. I'm not sure what you mean by a sense of place, I don't quite buy the idea that any Canadians think they're at the centre of the universe, I think they mostly see themselves as Americans at arm's length.

I don't get the sense of humour, there are only so many "hoser" jokes one can smile indulgently through. McLean and McLean, Bob and Doug Mackenzie, Red Green, offer the same jokes with varying degrees of swearing. Corner Gas dispenses with jokes completely. Canadians would, I think, concede that they don't do humour. I think it's the climate, Norwegians aren't funny either.

I'm adjusted to the work ethic, that I'll concede, I now think it wrong to take a day off and be paid for it and I'm now comfortable with firing people because they breed. We have a corporate policy that no one can take a holiday out of cell phone range and I'm lobbying to move that to "nowhere out of internet range". Just today I had to rant at someone who's visiting Istanbul because she was slow in responding to an emailed request, she said she'd been offline for most of a day. That's just not professional.

I think I'm well assimilated, I've been here for evah and I can deal with life here. I appreciate specifically that living in a country where there's positive discrimination in favour of francophones has been wonderful for my children. But, if you're making a go of it in London, there's no cause to look at Toronto, Tulsa or Omaha. Don't be silly.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:53 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zara_may
Dear all,
We are a young couple in early 30s with a 4yr old daughter. We live in london(suburbs) at the moment. My husband and I both work in the Banking industry as business analysts. I am a freelancer and i make about £120k a year (senior IT business analyst - banking). My husband is a perm employee and he makes £60k.

My husband is in love with Canada. He never visited Canada -I don't know why he loves the country so much really ! He plans to apply for pr once the route reopens in Jan. I'm okay with it, but I'm concerned about the financial hit we need to take for the move.

I am not very sure how much IT BA's get paid in Toronto. Assuming we both get paid c$90k (loosely based on payscale.com) we will have a disposable income of about c$10k a month between us. In London, we have now £6k per month between us PLUS £40k(pre tax) a year that is left in my company as retained profits. (my husband is planning to take freelancing route next yr. so appx another 40k in the company's profits)

I am not sure if tht £40k is worth letting go for the lifestyle we can get in Canada. We have about £100k in savings to buy a house. But all we get for £300k in London suburbs is a 80yr old shoebox with neighbours houses attached on both sides, very poor insulation and in need of repairs. What appeals to both of us about Canada is the spacious houses.

If we apply for PR once it opens next yr (assuming we qualify), we won't be able to move until July 2015. Our financial situation will be much better then and we will hopefully be able to afford a nice house here in London as well.

So the question is, is it worth going through the hassle of applying, taking financial hit and moving?
If you are both freelance then presumably you can work from home? Why not do what a few people do around here which is to buy a house and come here for the summer. They get up early to fit with UK time, do the work thing, then go off and play at being Canadian.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:54 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd be thrilled to hear that there's something else (accepting that I've already listed lots of activities involving killing things in the country). There's lots of religion, of course, something one doesn't get in the UK, and quilting's big. After that I'm struggling. What you got?

No, a running joke. A bit of a weak one as iced hockey is suspended yet again.

Surely there's no history to speak of and that's a problem for Europeans. It's partly why Canada seems so superficial, to offer little beyond retail. I'm not sure what you mean by a sense of place, I don't quite buy the idea that any Canadians think they're at the centre of the universe, I think they mostly see themselves as Americans at arm's length.

I don't get the sense of humour, there are only so many "hoser" jokes one can smile indulgently through. McLean and McLean, Bob and Doug Mackenzie, Red Green, offer the same jokes with varying degrees of swearing. Corner Gas dispenses with jokes completely. Canadians would, I think, concede that they don't do humour. I think it's the climate, Norwegians aren't funny either.

I'm adjusted to the work ethic, that I'll concede, I now think it wrong to take a day off and be paid for it and I'm now comfortable with firing people because they breed. We have a corporate policy that no one can take a holiday out of cell phone range and I'm lobbying to move that to "nowhere out of internet range". Just today I had to rant at someone who's visiting Istanbul because she was slow in responding to an emailed request, she said she'd been offline for most of a day. That's just not professional.

I think I'm well assimilated, I've been here for evah and I can deal with life here. I appreciate specifically that living in a country where there's positive discrimination in favour of francophones has been wonderful for my children. But, if you're making a go of it in London, there's no cause to look at Toronto, Tulsa or Omaha. Don't be silly.
Now, it's quite early here in southern Ontario, but I'm guessing you've had an excellent bottle or two of Chateau Neuf du Pape.

I'm jealous, but can't disagree with what you said.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:56 am
Yo

Originally Posted by bats
If you are both freelance then presumably you can work from home? Why not do what a few people do around here which is to buy a house and come here for the summer. They get up early to fit with UK time, do the work thing, then go off and play at being Canadian.
As biz analysts they would need to be in the office for meetings. Also, only one is freelance (the other permanent). Other than that, great idea.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Now, it's quite early here in southern Ontario, but I'm guessing you've had an excellent bottle or two of Chateau Neuf du Pape.

I'm jealous, but can't disagree with what you said.
Ah. Two cans of Pride and the second half of a bottle of Cotes du Rhone left from yesterday. Dramatic day too. Best bang it on the head then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.