Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London versus Picton...or?

London versus Picton...or?

Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London versus Picton...or?

Originally Posted by deeana
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, having only just found it online. It looks pretty informative and lively so I'm looking forward to participating. A little bit about me first before my question.

My husband and I emigrated to Calgary, Alberta in 1991 with our teenage children, and in common with most Brits going out without jobs, we had a very hard time indeed for the first 5 years. My husband was a top executive in his engineering field and had to accept a job as a shift engineer being paid $8.25 an hour (I remember it well!!) and work his way back up inch by painful inch. I was a teacher, and despite doing my upgrading at the University of Calgary, never got a teaching job as the school boards were downsizing at that particular time and jobs were very hard to get. The best I could do initiallly was working at Office Depot where I was a department manager on $7.50 an hour (later rose to $10!!!)

That said, both our kids did very well in high school and university and eventually my husband made more money than he ever could have in the UK. He now works in the Bahamas - and I am back home in the UK helping my daughter set up her own little business. My son is in Saudi Arabia working.

We are both 51 and starting to think about planning for retirement. It is unbelievably difficult to decide between Canada and the UK. There are huge differences between the two countries, and huge advantages to both, depending on so many variables. In particular I found the harsh climate very difficult to live with and I missed the greenness of England. We were in Alberta of course, which is a desert, albeit a very rich one where the standard of living is very high.

However as we get older I am tending to think toward retiring in Canada rather than the UK. The main reason is the infrastructure. You can survive over there without a car, for example. Hard to do in the UK. And the health care is much better (I know, there is a downside to that too, but in general it's good. I had breast cancer in Calgary and think I survived because of the quality of the care.)

Soooo, after all that preamble, my question. We are looking for a retirement spot. We know enough about Alberta and lots about BC, but nothing at all about Ontario. We are thinking of London or Picton, in the Quinte area. Does anyone out there have opinions on the wisdom of either choice? Obviously we will visit soon to take a look for ourselves before making any decisions, but I would be very interested in hearing anyone's opinions. Or any other suggestions...

Thanks for listening! Take care all,
Deeana
My input would be:

1) No you can't survive (comfortably) without a car.

2) Calgary has to be milder in winter than the east? Haven't had a really harsh winter here for years compared to when we first came here 12 years ago. Plus you get the breaks that the Chinook winds bring with them

(it's also greener than the UK at the moment - we've had so much rain....lol)

3) The air is wonderfully clean and refreshing, as is the city as a whole.

4) The only debt free province in the Country - plus Alberta is about to get VERY rich from new discovery of huge oil deposits

5) The UK will tax you to death!

So.....why on earth would you choose anywhere else?? (Not that I'm biased or anything )
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

deeana is on a distinguished road

<Quote 2) Calgary has to be milder in winter than the east? Haven't had a really harsh winter here for years compared to when we first came here 12 years ago. Plus you get the breaks that the Chinook winds bring with them

(it's also greener than the UK at the moment - we've had so much rain....lol) end quote>

Hi
Hmmm, I would dispute that about the winters. 1992-3 was diabolical, but there were many more very cold snaps. Plus I personally found the Chinooks gave me headaches, as they do many people.

Green? No way. Nothing like the UK. No way. Never.

Not that I'm dogmatic or anything but in my 13 years of familiarity with Calgary it never was what I call GREEEN. Not green like the Weald, where I am temporarily living again.

Sorry, just MHO.

But I still might go back one day. Nothing against Calgary. I recommend it to people all the time as a good place to start, if you don't mind the cold.

Deeana!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Hi Chris and or Vicky and Jim

May I ask who you might think are the better builders in the area. I have dozens of web site links and have had details of new build sent over but one never knows until you are on the ground so to speak who might be the good ones.

Thanks

Paul

PS Hope you and yours are well Chris. Still no further up the line..Yawn Yawn!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:42 pm
Banned

pollard will become famous soon enoughpollard will become famous soon enough

In the London ontario area, REIDS are known for their nice builds. We have seen quite a few of those since we've been here.

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Hi Chris and or Vicky and Jim

May I ask who you might think are the better builders in the area. I have dozens of web site links and have had details of new build sent over but one never knows until you are on the ground so to speak who might be the good ones.

Thanks

Paul

PS Hope you and yours are well Chris. Still no further up the line..Yawn Yawn!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

<Quote 2) Calgary has to be milder in winter than the east? Haven't had a really harsh winter here for years compared to when we first came here 12 years ago. Plus you get the breaks that the Chinook winds bring with them

(it's also greener than the UK at the moment - we've had so much rain....lol) end quote>

Hi
Hmmm, I would dispute that about the winters. 1992-3 was diabolical, but there were many more very cold snaps. Plus I personally found the Chinooks gave me headaches, as they do many people.

Green? No way. Nothing like the UK. No way. Never.

Not that I'm dogmatic or anything but in my 13 years of familiarity with Calgary it never was what I call GREEEN. Not green like the Weald, where I am temporarily living again.

Sorry, just MHO.

But I still might go back one day. Nothing against Calgary. I recommend it to people all the time as a good place to start, if you don't mind the cold.

Deeana!
Trust me - right now it's VERY, VERY, green! We have had persistent rain over the last two weeks (reminded me of home...lol), and parts of the city were flooded. Some villages have been evacuated as people had over 2 feet of water in their homes. Some roads were impassable! So, yes - very green now the sun has returned. (And the grass has shot up as a result!...oh well, the farmers desperately needed it.)
Old Jun 16th 2005, 8:29 am
Just Joined

vicky n jim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pollard
In the London ontario area, REIDS are known for their nice builds. We have seen quite a few of those since we've been here.
We have just bought through reids uptown homes , there is also reid heritage homes both are worth a look at
Old Jun 17th 2005, 9:25 pm
Banned

How did you find their service, if you don't mind me asking?

Originally Posted by vicky n jim
We have just bought through reids uptown homes , there is also reid heritage homes both are worth a look at
Old Jun 18th 2005, 1:41 pm
Banned

DEEP PURPLE
June 20, 2005

For more than 30 years DEEP PURPLE has enriched the spirit of rock music regularly with new albums and fascinating tours. DEEP PURPLE consists of Ian Gillan (vocals), Roger Glover (bass), Ian Paice (drums), Steve Morse (guitar), and Don Airey (organ). DEEP PURPLE has always had an intuitive feeling for powerful rock songs delivered with their own unmistakable sound. They are about cutting edge performances based on a sound philosophy: “the music comes first�. The music comes from within the core spirit of the band. Deep Purple performs with special guests April Wine and the Jimmy Bowskill Band at 7:30 pm at the John Labatt Centre. Tickets are $48.75.

Contact: 519-432-8894 or visit the website www.johnlabattcentre.com
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:10 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

DEEP PURPLE
June 20, 2005

For more than 30 years DEEP PURPLE has enriched the spirit of rock music regularly with new albums and fascinating tours. DEEP PURPLE consists of Ian Gillan (vocals), Roger Glover (bass), Ian Paice (drums), Steve Morse (guitar), and Don Airey (organ). DEEP PURPLE has always had an intuitive feeling for powerful rock songs delivered with their own unmistakable sound. They are about cutting edge performances based on a sound philosophy: “the music comes first�. The music comes from within the core spirit of the band. Deep Purple performs with special guests April Wine and the Jimmy Bowskill Band at 7:30 pm at the John Labatt Centre. Tickets are $48.75.

, btw.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

ontres has a spectacular aura aboutontres has a spectacular aura aboutontres has a spectacular aura about

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, having only just found it online. It looks pretty informative and lively so I'm looking forward to participating. A little bit about me first before my question.

My husband and I emigrated to Calgary, Alberta in 1991 with our teenage children, and in common with most Brits going out without jobs, we had a very hard time indeed for the first 5 years. My husband was a top executive in his engineering field and had to accept a job as a shift engineer being paid $8.25 an hour (I remember it well!!) and work his way back up inch by painful inch. I was a teacher, and despite doing my upgrading at the University of Calgary, never got a teaching job as the school boards were downsizing at that particular time and jobs were very hard to get. The best I could do initiallly was working at Office Depot where I was a department manager on $7.50 an hour (later rose to $10!!!)

That said, both our kids did very well in high school and university and eventually my husband made more money than he ever could have in the UK. He now works in the Bahamas - and I am back home in the UK helping my daughter set up her own little business. My son is in Saudi Arabia working.

We are both 51 and starting to think about planning for retirement. It is unbelievably difficult to decide between Canada and the UK. There are huge differences between the two countries, and huge advantages to both, depending on so many variables. In particular I found the harsh climate very difficult to live with and I missed the greenness of England. We were in Alberta of course, which is a desert, albeit a very rich one where the standard of living is very high.

However as we get older I am tending to think toward retiring in Canada rather than the UK. The main reason is the infrastructure. You can survive over there without a car, for example. Hard to do in the UK. And the health care is much better (I know, there is a downside to that too, but in general it's good. I had breast cancer in Calgary and think I survived because of the quality of the care.)

Soooo, after all that preamble, my question. We are looking for a retirement spot. We know enough about Alberta and lots about BC, but nothing at all about Ontario. We are thinking of London or Picton, in the Quinte area. Does anyone out there have opinions on the wisdom of either choice? Obviously we will visit soon to take a look for ourselves before making any decisions, but I would be very interested in hearing anyone's opinions. Or any other suggestions...

Thanks for listening! Take care all,
Deeana
We did a similar thing as you are contemplating, but in reverse. Twenty yrs ago we moved from Ontario to the Okanagan. Heaven, you might say. And you'd be right, except [in our case] for one thing. We soon discovered that we missed the kids and grandkids too much. And despite the rose coloured glasses idea we had had that: 'we can always fly back to Ontario any time we feel like it', in reality it didn't work out that way. It isn't the same as hopping in the car and going to visit any time you want. So we moved back to Ontario. Here, we saw our grandchildren grow up after all, renewed contact with all the old friends we had before, and all in all, never regretted coming back. Don't know if this helps you, but thought you might glean something from it.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

DEEP PURPLE
June 20, 2005

Totally lost on that reply ..cryptic clue or something ?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:15 am
Banned

This is not a cryptic clue, it was just posted for those in the area, or those that might be in the area, that like the band.

Originally Posted by ray1968
Totally lost on that reply ..cryptic clue or something ?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

This is not a cryptic clue, it was just posted for those in the area, or those that might be in the area, that like the band.
Wow....and you complain about others taking a thread off-topic! I had forgotten how well you do it yourself!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:11 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the band in its day, and have family I could stop at in london....

But the whole Deep Purple team were well past their sell by date when they "regrouped' in the 80's...

Now all it'll be is a bunch of sad old men well past their prime, and well its not got Riche Blackmore on Guitar either.....
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I loved the band in its day, and have family I could stop at in london....

But the whole Deep Purple team were well past their sell by date when they "regrouped' in the 80's...

Now all it'll be is a bunch of sad old men well past their prime, and well its not got Riche Blackmore on Guitar either.....
Your surely not old enough to have seen them first time round as I know I wasn't and I am older. In the 80's it was Whitesnake and a bunch of re-born for the first time round rockers. This must be a re-incarnation rather than a re-birth. Zimmer frame headbanging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.