Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London (UK) or Toronto to live in?

London (UK) or Toronto to live in?

Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London (UK) or Toronto to live in?

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I kind of just assumed that there must be a fair number of BE people living there. Maybe they are all stuck in traffic.
Power out cos of the tornados perhaps

London, Toronto, Vancouver... how you view living in them comes down to income I suspect. The OP still hasnt really told us anything usefull. I hope he got something out of this thread, but I doubt it...

Ive never been to Vancouver, but I suspect I would rank them Vancouver (Mountains and Ocean nearby), London, Toronto. Assuming I won the lottery first of course... for a second home, naturally

Last edited by iaink; Aug 21st 2009 at 12:54 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Looks like I'm an exception, London please.
If I had more money and job there I'd be in London quicker than Usain Bolt.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Hmmm............ "Vancouver - nice pretty little town" never heard it quite described that way!
Well it is little, it can be nice, and it looks pretty .... from a distance.

Originally Posted by iaink
Power out cos of the tornados perhaps

London, Toronto, Vancouver... how you view living in them comes down to income I suspect. The OP still hasnt really told us anything usefull. I hope he got something out of this thread, but I doubt it...

Ive never been to Vancouver, but I suspect I would rank them Vancouver (Mountains and Ocean nearby), London, Toronto. Assuming I won the lottery first of course... for a second home, naturally
Everywhere is great if you are as rich as croesus.

Originally Posted by Oink
Money/Visa's no object? I think I'd spend a yeah or two in Tokyo - think that would be cool.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:31 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Two Points.

1) Very few Yanks will be posting on this forum
2) You only asked TO vs London, No mention of Van. If you throw Van in then London is in 2nd place init
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You've not been to Toronto obviously! Personally, I'd choose London every time (really dislike Toronto), but I still wouldn't want to live there, but then I'm not a city girl.

But throw in Vancouver and I'd probably choose there.
Nil Point for originality there

Originally Posted by Oink
Screw the money and Job thing if you offered me TO or London, NO way would I go to TO. Offer me any UK city or TO and TO loses, the place is the arsehole of the english speaking world.

OOPs I take that back TO is the Anal sphincter of the english speaking world, the Midlands is actually the arsehole.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

OOPs I take that back TO is the Anal sphincter of the english speaking world, the Midlands is actually the arsehole.
Have you ever been to Detroit?

Didnt think so
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:40 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever been to Detroit?

Didnt think so
YES.

My trip to Detroit follwed visits to TO, Woodstock and Sarnia.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

YES.

My trip to Detroit follwed visits to TO, Woodstock and Sarnia.
There is no way Birmingham or TO is worse than Detroit or Buffalo. Hell, even Beiruit probably looks good in comparison!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:56 pm
Banned

There is no way Birmingham or TO is worse than Detroit or Buffalo. Hell, even Beiruit probably looks good in comparison!
Ok you may have me on Buffalo (never visited) but IMHO EVEN Detroit is preferable to TO
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Ok you may have me on Buffalo (never visited) but IMHO EVEN Detroit is preferable to TO
I'm suprised somewhere as white bread bland as toronto can provoke such vitrol
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:13 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I only spent a week in Toronto during the summer a few years ago. I actually liked the vibe - the Caribbean festival was on so the place was really happening, much better night life than Vancouver - was my impression. I hated the muggy heat though, very uncomfortable.

I would actually love to spend more time in London - not really a theater/museum goer but do like architecture and the buzz of the place . I do think that long term I would miss the ocean, mountains and beaches of Vancouver. I really enjoy walking down to the beach every morning with the mut and grabbing a java along the way. Lazy days on the beach in the summer and skiing in the winter. Horse for courses and all that.

Vancouver has a fair bit of growing up to do. I do feel that sometimes the city is more concerned with appearances and is obsessed with pleasing people who visit and not those that live here. The legacy of the Olympics will be a rail link to YVR, a better road to Whistler and few hundred thousand boxes of unsold touques!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:29 pm

Torontonians don't have a sense of humor:

London (UK) or Toronto to live in?-5efe3a7648db90c993167a4b3463.jpeg
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:31 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Attachment 84293

but their retorte to that was "People from Toronto are cool"
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Attachment 84293
Is that what passes for humour around these parts?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by dollface
but their retorte to that was "People from Toronto are cool"
My retorte would have been: "Yeah hilarious, you unfunny c****"
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:48 pm

I meant to post the following article. In short the ad was from BC and offended more than a few. I thought it was so counter - culture to the PC climate - i liked it - people are too serious sometimes - sticks and stones and all that:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/682420

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.