Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London or Ottawa?

London or Ottawa?

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:38 am
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: London or Ottawa?

Originally Posted by kippa
Hi,
We are hoping to move to Perth which is about 1 hr from Ottawa, it's a lovely little town with a population of about 6000. It's very rural and has a real community spirit. We can't wait! If you want to know any more just ask. Oh by the way we loved Ottawa, it's quite small but seems to have loads happening.

Perth! God, as a child we used to drive through there going up to a place called Sharbot Lake .... all the fire hydrants were painted with faces of animals, polka dots..... quite fun, especially if you've been driving for 4 hours from just outside of Toronto......
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kippa
Hi,
We are hoping to move to Perth which is about 1 hr from Ottawa, it's a lovely little town with a population of about 6000. It's very rural and has a real community spirit. We can't wait! If you want to know any more just ask. Oh by the way we loved Ottawa, it's quite small but seems to have loads happening.
Hi Kippa, Thankyou for the info, i hope you settle and have a great life there. what are the job situations like round there, my husband is a class1 driver cheers
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

kippa is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk
Hi Kippa, Thankyou for the info, i hope you settle and have a great life there. what are the job situations like round there, my husband is a class1 driver cheers
My husband is a class 1 driver aswell! He has hopefully secured a driving job with a company just outside Perth. We are hoping to go on a temporary work permit for a few years and apply for residency once we are there coz, although i am a nurse i am still a couple of points short to be principle applicant. We are waiting at the moment for Simons prospective boss to apply to HRDC to get the ball rolling, hoping to move in the summer!
Good luck to you wherever you decide to settle.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:38 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

excuse my ignorance, but what is GTA????
"Greater Toronto Area"

Sprawling mass of Missisagua, Oakville, Downtown TO, Brampton, Scarborough, York, Oshawa....probably missed a few or added a few,
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

MarkS is on a distinguished road

Can't comment on London but I have lived in the capital region (Ottawa/Hull) for 4 years now and I love it.

Ottawa is a small (but ever expanding) city but is only a 2 hour drive from Montreal. Ottawa is clean and has many very nice neighbourhoods in fact no real undesireable areas at all.

There are plenty of parks and when the canal freezes over in winter the city grooms it so that you can skate along it. In the winter there is quite a bit of snow from Dec to April but there is quite good skiing close by and excellent skiiing 1.5 hours away at Mt Tremblent, and in the summer there are a plethora of nice golf courses in the area.

On the other side of the river in Hull (Gatineau) is Gatineau park which is full of lakes and hiking/x country ski/moutain biking trails.

If shopping is your thing there are several good malls in Ottawa.

Surrounding Ottawa is a vast rural area, so if you like camping there is several excellent Ontario parks to visit nearby, Algonquin is the pick of the bunch for canoe camping.

In the summer the weather is pretty good. Often in the high 20s and low 30s although with the humidity it can get uncomforatbly hot at times, warm weather generally lasts from May to late September. In mid summer it often stays warm during the night and is hot when you get up in the morning so no need to wear trousers and a sweater until mid morning, its shorts and T-shirt all the way. The city also has many kilometers of bike paths, especially along the rivers (Rideau/Ottawa) and the Rideau Canal, so many people (including me) cycle to work every day.

If you like sports Ottawa has a top class ice hockey team (the Senators) and a CFL football team (the Renegades). The ice hockey stadium often hosts live bands etc although the really big bands like U2 tend to skip Ottawa on their way from Montreal to Toronto.

Hope this helps.

MarkS

Last edited by MarkS; Feb 2nd 2005 at 1:25 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

Hello there!
we are currently living in Ottawa and we`re not too keen. Sure there are more opportunities for jobs but only if you are bilingual. As a city it lacks defintion.....
but if you are wanting to live out in the country the towns around are lovely.

Hi Ya,

i'm a proud english women about to make the mistake of moving to Canada because my bloody husband is canadian!! LOL

Although I haven't the chance to see either London or Ottawa, Ontario, they do look like nice places according to the internet...and when we settle there, the choice at this time is between the both of them (unless I can talk him around to the quinte area which i actually did see and love! although that would depend on the career situation).

Anyone here have any experiences with either of the cities and like to share their thoughts? I'ld like to live in the outskirts, as i'm more of a country girl (just as long as i'm within earshot of the amenities of the cities lol)

ta,

jayne
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Taffia will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: London or Ottawa?

excuse my ignorance, but what is GTA????
Jaynie/ I guess some people think GTA is known Worldwide. It means Greater Toronto Area, from downtown to the 'burbs.
Be the same as GLA, Greater London Area, which would be as clueless as GTA.
Johnny
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Taffia
Jaynie/ I guess some people think GTA is known Worldwide. It means Greater Toronto Area, from downtown to the 'burbs.
Be the same as GLA, Greater London Area, which would be as clueless as GTA.
Johnny
thanx for educating me johnny
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

after reading the threads so far, i guess its really an individual thing, whether a person likes a place or not, HHMMMMM, guess im going to have to go over and check them both out, good enough excuse for another holiday eh...lol,
still interested on any new comments from peeps though and thankyou to you all for answering...
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, wouldnt that complicate things for him getting me into his home country of canada though???

Why? Taking British citizenship would not cause him to lose Canadian citizenship. Both the UK and Canada allow dual citizenship.

On top of that, as he is married to a British citizen, he does not even have to declare any intention to remain UK resident when he applies for citizenship.

Ask on the immigration forum if you want an expert's view.

And if you want to find out about naturalisation, visit http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk
He needs to be eligible to apply before you can even think about the option. But many people do this as it makes things so much easier should you ever want to live in the UK in future, even temporarily.

Jeremy
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

I think you`ve hit the nail on the head. it really all depends on what kind of lifestyle you want to lead......that is what i like about Canada as there are many options open to everyone....

after reading the threads so far, i guess its really an individual thing, whether a person likes a place or not, HHMMMMM, guess im going to have to go over and check them both out, good enough excuse for another holiday eh...lol,
still interested on any new comments from peeps though and thankyou to you all for answering...
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

karenr is an unknown quantity at this point

We are heading to London as soon as the cic allow us .
I cannot comment on Ottawa as I have not been there . However we were in London in july 04 and really loved it . it is known as the forest city and it really is beautiful there were times when we were surprised to realise we were still in the centre as it had a very rural feel to it . Everyone has their own reasons for choosing a place , we were able to tick a lot of boxes. It has a newish centre there called the John Labet ( or something like that !!!) which in 2003 for example had such acts as BB King ., Rod Stewart, Sting, shania twain etc . It is very close to 2 great lakes , Toronto Niagara and USA .
It seems to have a lot going on there from what we could see . Also with a large Israeli community which will be good for my husband . Large in comparison to 20 israelis where we live now !!
It just had a really good feel to it for us . Although I have also heard good things about ottawa . Sometimes you just got to go with your gut instinct .
Regards
Karen