Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta from London and Surrey, UK

London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta from London and Surrey, UK

Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

darkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta from London and Surrey, UK

wow. thanks for all the replies. the consensus isn't great though, eh?

That other pic doesn't even cover how beautiful Surrey is. I'm completely serious about moving, but I do wish we didn't have to! Damned expensive country that the UK is!

That last pic does look lovely though. I could definitely walk there every day. And happily. And there's got to be a few cute cafe's and a few arty folk, and I'm pretty sure that's all I need to be happy. But I get your point about not comparing here to there. If we get to the point of interviews and recce's, I'll keep an open mind.

What should I look forward to in these places in comparison?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

BTW, if that egg's chocolate, I don't care where it is, I'm moving there!!!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkin
wow. thanks for all the replies. the consensus isn't great though, eh?

That other pic doesn't even cover how beautiful Surrey is. I'm completely serious about moving, but I do wish we didn't have to! Damned expensive country that the UK is!

That last pic does look lovely though. I could definitely walk there every day. And happily. And there's got to be a few cute cafe's and a few arty folk, and I'm pretty sure that's all I need to be happy. But I get your point about not comparing here to there. If we get to the point of interviews and recce's, I'll keep an open mind.

What should I look forward to in these places in comparison?
Have you actually visited either place yet?

If not, as a few people have said, i would try to spend some time in each before the big heave-ho. Surrey has beautiful areas within and by visiting Edmonton and London it'll allow you to fine tune your expectations.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

No, I've not been to Canada at all yet. We won't get to fly out and have a look until my partner gets interviews (crossing fingers that he does), and even then we won't get to go for very long. Talking about it all is helping me get my head around the fact that we will be moving though, and I think all your comments are really helping me understand what to expect when we get there. I'm sure the space of the place alone will put me into shock!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:51 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm completely serious about moving, but I do wish we didn't have to! Damned expensive country that the UK is!
why are you moving then?..if its just because you think the UK is expensive then dont bother...Canada isnt that much cheaper!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

My partner is in the games industry, which is too specific to have that many opportunities. We've exhausted the possibilities in the UK. Canada supports its games industry really well, and there are lots of exciting companies out there.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
and by visiting Edmonton and London it'll allow you to fine tune your expectations.
very subtle phrasing

I'm ex-Surrey - I struggle with the landscape, architecture, lack of dog walking facilities.

Where I live is actually very pretty, with stunning views - and from May to end September, it's a green, gorgeous landscape.

By Nov/Dec, there is barely a scrap of greenery anywhere - and Surrey begins to look lush and tropical in comparison.

I don't know London, but Edmonton - no, not really
Old Sep 7th 2010, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I tried using the search function on here and the city guide, but neither helped me out.
Have you tried just searching the 'Canniversary' section? Hopefully there will be some relevant opinions there, I know there was a very long one about Edmonton recently.

Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:00 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Nice try but the egg is not in Edmonton.

It's in Vegreville approximately 70 miles east of Edmonton.
So it doesn't EVEN have an egg ?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:08 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

looked like a Ukrainian egg to me. Lots of them in Alberta.

Where those trails are aren't a lot of cafes, if any at all. Edmonton is very spread out and car-orientated. The best neighbourhood for arty is probably Old Strathcona but it's $$$ too
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I had an, er, extended meaningful relationship, with a woman of eastern European extraction who had done a PhD in London ON. Prior to that she'd been a professional classical musician. I've rarely heard a place described as scathingly as she did London ON. iirc correctly the major complaints were:

- there is a university but one which women attend solely to marry well

- there was one classical musician in the city

- I was the ethnic diversity, anyone not from Scotland would count but there was just me

- being Catholic is difficult there

- poverty is viewed as being the deserved scourge of the foreign

- it's flat.

I was left with the impression of a devout place, predominantly Presby and all the fun that entails.

I've since spoken at length with another person who has been to London ON, a poster here, and she's less kind about the place. All of this disinclines me to have a look.

I'm not one to lightly suggest that a person consider Edmonton, lord knows, one hears little in favour of Edmonton, is there no job in Sunderland or Canvey Island?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:35 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My partner is in the games industry, which is too specific to have that many opportunities. We've exhausted the possibilities in the UK. Canada supports its games industry really well, and there are lots of exciting companies out there.
Games industry? WTF is that?

Have you considered just dumping partner and staying in Surrey?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Novocastrian - computer games. And if I could, I would- but we kind of come as a package!

Dbd33 - hahaha! That's a brilliant description of a place. Bleak, but hilarious.

Tangram - I know, right? Sounds like the nail in the coffin, eh?

Ann M - Thanks for that. That's a couple of Ex-Surrey-ers that have commented now with the same sort of a view. It is food for thought.

Kiwilass - Thanks. That's good to know, even if it's not the answer I had hoped for.

Christmasoompa - Ahh, ok. Great description on Canniversary. Very good call. Thanks. Sounds like I should be asking partner to check Vancouver and Toronto for companies instead!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:34 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to check out Vancouver for that industry.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

you read my mind. I've just spent an hour trawling the web. So, say he found something Vancouver or Toronto way, do you reckon this would satisfy my needs? Will probably re-post relevant questions for these areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.