Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London Ontario advice please

London Ontario advice please

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

jumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Ontario advice please

Hi zippy666,sorry it took us this long to reply,new school year my son's first year at secondary........,!any how,we chose London for it's size and the outdoor potential,parks and bike trails....and our job opportunities seem to ok!fingers crossed we get what we want out there!:
Did you ever get the mums forum for London that was on offer?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road

I live in the North, nr Fanshawe Rd and Sunningdale. I don't have kids yet so I can't comment on schools etc but I do know that the newer subdivisions in this area aren't the sort where you'd find student accomodation. Being newer might also limit the number of rentals though. 10 mins drive to downtown.

Check out some local subdivisions: Stoney Creek, Fanshawe Ridge, Uplands, Creekside....

Hunt Club (West) is lovely if your budget allows.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

zippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JimboV6
I live in the North, nr Fanshawe Rd and Sunningdale. I don't have kids yet so I can't comment on schools etc but I do know that the newer subdivisions in this area aren't the sort where you'd find student accomodation. Being newer might also limit the number of rentals though. 10 mins drive to downtown.

Check out some local subdivisions: Stoney Creek, Fanshawe Ridge, Uplands, Creekside....

Hunt Club (West) is lovely if your budget allows.
Thank you, will have a look
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Students the world over are a pain in the arse, although perhaps more so at Fanshawe and Western than the norm.
My daughter is starting 2nd year at Western and I just got back from helping her move in to her apartment over the holiday weekend. The building is full of Western students and I wouldn't want to live anywhere near the place!

There are pains in the arse everywhere and Western is no different to most other unis. It still has somewhat of a "party school" reputation although I think things have changed over the years and the reputation is now somewhat outdated and overrated. For example, the admissions averages have continued to rise and some very good students are not getting accepted into Western. However, that doesn't help you if you get stuck living near any of the minority of Western students who feel that they need to uphold the party school reputation and try a bit too hard to do so.

If you want a peaceful life and a good night's sleep, I certainly would not want to live anywhere near students (at any uni - not just at Western). So stay well away from the universities/colleges. Pick an area where the commute means there is much less chance of living near students.

Parts of East London are quite sketchy so stay away from there too.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Parts of all over London can be sketchy, each area has good and bad bits, East London isn't alone by any means, yet still seems to get singled out for some reason. We lived there for nearly 5 years before we moved out of the city.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Parts of all over London can be sketchy, each area has good and bad bits, East London isn't alone by any means, yet still seems to get singled out for some reason. We lived there for nearly 5 years before we moved out of the city.
True but in East London the sketchy parts are larger and more obviously sketchy than in other areas of the city. It might not be the only sketchy part but it's certainly the main one.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be. Better now. It used to be that the area east of Adelaide had a reputation but most of it is now fine. Living here, we found a lot more areas that are fine than areas that are not. It's not the affluent area of the city with million dollar houses for sure, and those areas have less riff raff definitely but we didn't find east any worse than south or central or north between old north and posh north.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 12:05 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in north London, not far from the uni, my kids call our subdivision the most boring neighbourhood in London, its very quiet even being that close to western.
I have students next door to us and we dont even know they are there
if you need any advice please ask away

Eddie
Old Sep 16th 2012, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Voyager970
I am in north London, not far from the uni, my kids call our subdivision the most boring neighbourhood in London, its very quiet even being that close to western.
I have students next door to us and we dont even know they are there
if you need any advice please ask away

Eddie
Just out of interest, are you north or south of Masonville Mall? Maybe you have grad students next door? Grads and undergrads are different animals! There are a lot of undergrads who are there primarily to focus on the academics. However, I think that grad students are even more likely to be there primarily for the academics.