Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London Ontario

London Ontario

Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Ontario

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
Very interesting. I always wondered why less populated areas don't have air pollution to any noticeable degree, even when they're in the path of polluted air upstream, so that seems like a reasonable explanation to me.
I'm afraid it doesn't apply in many places. It's just the juxta-positioning of the Great Lakes which produces a very unusual (and therefore very interesting) phenomenon in the London area.

Usually less populated places downwind of pollution sources do in fact have high levels of secondary air pollutants such as ozone and nitrate (in summer).
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

supergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nice

Thanks for all your replies. London sounds fab! Can't wait to live there!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:05 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supergirly
Thanks for all your replies. London sounds fab! Can't wait to live there!
Not a huge fan of London but then I was only there for three days in a very cold mid January - not a fair way to judge a place.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Not a huge fan of London but then I was only there for three days in a very cold mid January - not a fair way to judge a place.
Yes, I feel the same way about Goose Bay.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:25 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, I feel the same way about Goose Bay.
Take your word for it mate, never been so can't comment.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:05 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Tangram
Take your word for it mate, never been so can't comment.
Early January 1991. It was about -42C the morning we tried to start the French Air Force Caravelle we were using.

Didn't work for ever so long.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

We've been in London for almost 5 years and after a rocky first few months (culture shock), we settled in very well and love it here. London seems much more like a town than a city to me. It isn't the most exciting place to live if you like big cities. I'm not a big city fan so it works for me. It has a good university, decent hospitals and a reasonably decent amount of shops.

It is a great place to raise a family - very kid friendly with lots of sports and activities. It is also close to the great lakes for day trips to the beach etc. As others have said, it is surrounded by flat farm land. I like that. A quick 45 min drive through the fields and you're at the beach.

While it has areas that are run down, it also has lots of attractive, leafy areas. Traffic isn't a problem. I drive in 'rush hour' every day from one end of the city to the other and I seldom get stuck, unless a train is passing through the city centre!!

One of the downsides of London is that it is very conservative and quite insular. Many people grow up in London, like London, don't leave London and are blissfully ignorant of what it is like to live elsewhere. They're happy though and having travelled most of my life, I think they have a pretty decent spot. It is a very small city and often you know someone who went to school with your neighbour etc. At least they are proud of living here and truly enjoy it! We miss the open minded expat mindset of lots of our friends but you can't have everything no matter where you live.

All in all, we are very happy here and think it would be hard to beat for us.

Chris
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Welcomat is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't live in London, Ontario, I am in North York (Toronto). My advice to anyone coming to Canada, who does not have work here already, is DO NOT go to small towns/cities such as London. Canada is an odd spot to integrate. Huge country true, but most of the work is along the Canada/US border. Toronto is a better place to begin getting established with a job and learning the way of life. As another member on this forum mentioned, it's difficult, without the so-called Canadian experience. They are stuffy like that! It's a known fact that we have a shortage of physicians in rural areas. So, if you need any important procedures, or even a regular family doctor, you might have to go to Hamilton and Toronto, in order to get treatment.

I have lived here over 40 years, originally from the North of England and have worked in healthcare and social services for years, knowing a far bit about multiculturalism.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Welcomat
So, if you need any important procedures, or even a regular family doctor, you might have to go to Hamilton and Toronto, in order to get treatment.
Really? I've never heard of that but then again I don't work in the health sector. Is this factual or an assumption you are making? London isn't a huge city but it's not a small town either!

I understand your point regarding finding a job. I'm sure it must be much easier in a larger city. It just depends on whether you want to to live in a big city. It might get you started, but then you'd have to move at some point if living in a big city isn't what you wanted long term - with kids, that could cause a lot of hassle.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:03 pm
Born again atheist

I have lived here over 40 years, originally from the North of England and have worked in healthcare and social services for years, knowing a far bit about multiculturalism.
And eff all about London, apparently.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:04 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
Really? I've never heard of that but then again I don't work in the health sector. Is this factual or an assumption you are making? London isn't a huge city but it's not a small town either!

I understand your point regarding finding a job. I'm sure it must be much easier in a larger city. It just depends on whether you want to to live in a big city. It might get you started, but then you'd have to move at some point if living in a big city isn't what you wanted long term - with kids, that could cause a lot of hassle.
This post was in response to a young woman who moved to London and was having a hard time finding work, for both herself and her highly educated husband. And, in fact, for anyone else who is contemplating moving to Canada (specifically smaller towns). Canadian towns are not like small town Europe. The culture is totally different.

I see we have on this forum those types who believe no one has a right to verse their opinion, if it differs from theirs.

(P.S.: Thanks for reminding me of the city rivalry that also goes on in Canada).
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Not much one needs to know about any town/city - if folks cannot earn a decent living and feed their families. Making a move to the town/city of choice comes later.

It is a well-known fact that government has been working to encourage physicians to take work in more remote areas. FIY: Even in Toronto, it is becoming difficult to find a general practitioner who is taking on new patients. And, many of the so-called "baby boomers" are retiring. What is it you want to argue about? That's not a question btw.

My initial impression was that this site was a place to help newcomers or prospective newcomers to Canada.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

This post was in response to a young woman who moved to London and was having a hard time finding work, for both herself and her highly educated husband. And, in fact, for anyone else who is contemplating moving to Canada (specifically smaller towns). Canadian towns are not like small town Europe. The culture is totally different.

I see we have on this forum those types who believe no one has a right to verse their opinion, if it differs from theirs.

(P.S.: Thanks for reminding me of the city rivalry that also goes on in Canada).
Actually, I was just asking a question! If you're going to come out with sweeping statements as if they are facts, you should be able to back them up or state that it is your opinion. I have genuinely never heard of people going to Hamilton or Toronto for special procedures but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. As you work in the health sector, I thought maybe you knew something others didn't?

I notice that instead of answering my question, you went on the attack. My initial response was to the OP who simply asked for more info on London. I am very happy to listen to other people's opinions and indeed was asking for more of yours!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

supergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nice

Wowow! Peeps chill out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.