British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Loblaw: UK to Regina, Canada. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/loblaw-uk-regina-canada-946237/)

CaraUKtoCanada Nov 23rd 2022 1:50 pm

Loblaw: UK to Regina, Canada.

Hello everyone
Does anyone on here have experience driving long haul class 1 for Loblaw?
Also anyone specifically gone from UK to Regina to work for Loblaw doing long haul on their immigration/employment scheme?
I have received a provisional offer dependant on checks. Im due to arrive out there in March 2023.
Any advice or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.
I have read an old thread on here about the same topic but it’s dated ten years ago.
I do know a group from the UK went out there around 10 yrs ago also to the same thing.
So to hear from any of those people would be great.
Thanks

nwtrucker Dec 10th 2022 7:28 am

Re: Loblaw: UK to Regina, Canada.

Hi, I dont have experience with loblaw but ive been long haul driving over here for 10 years now. It depends on a few variables.....do you have a family/children, do you have a criminal record? How much cash reserves do you intend to bring over? They have a reputation for employing east Indian drivers and have a pretty high turnover i think. I will tell you the cost of living has at least doubled since i moved over so you would probably have to do alot of miles to make a half decent living. I would do as much research as you can and have a look at other potential companies. Bison is the Stobarts of Canada and have terminals all over, including Regina. It can be a lonely life once the novelty has worn off. If i knew then what i know now I would definitely think twice about moving over the pond!

CaraUKtoCanada Dec 10th 2022 10:02 am

Hi
Thanks for your reply it’s really appreciated. I am doing my research as much as I can. Though it’s been hard to find out from any truckers working for Loblaw what it’s like working for them. My eyes are pretty open I think.
In answer to your questions, no criminal record. Children yes but they are adults now and not coming with me. I have some cash reserves yes but I don’t think that will be much of an issue as I have the employment when I arrive.
I have been told there is a lot of mileage involved. Crossing the border into California etc. Averaging 3.5 trips per month. I don’t think I’ll go that hard to be honest. I like my rest in between trips. So 3 trips a month maybe I’d see how it goes.
I don’t think I plan to stay out there as long as you have. Unless I end up loving it. Maybe just do the 2 yr contract. And if I hate it I’d just come back sooner.
as for cost of living, it’s at least doubled here also so not much difference really.
Also I am quite a solitary person so I’m not sure it will bother me being on the road all the time. And there’s always video calls etc.
If I go it’s more for the adventure of it and if that wears off I’ll just come back.
May I ask why you haven’t returned if you have any regrets? Would it be that difficult to come back.
Also where are you based in Canada? Did you take family? How did they settle?
Thankyou

christmasoompa Dec 10th 2022 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by CaraUKtoCanada (Post 13159435)
I don’t think I plan to stay out there as long as you have. Unless I end up loving it. Maybe just do the 2 yr contract. And if I hate it I’d just come back sooner.

A lot of money for just 2 years though? It's not a cheap move so may not be worth it for that.

SaskRuss Dec 13th 2022 11:48 am

Originally Posted by CaraUKtoCanada (Post 13156374)
Hello everyone
Does anyone on here have experience driving long haul class 1 for Loblaw?
Also anyone specifically gone from UK to Regina to work for Loblaw doing long haul on their immigration/employment scheme?
I have received a provisional offer dependant on checks. Im due to arrive out there in March 2023.
Any advice or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.
I have read an old thread on here about the same topic but it’s dated ten years ago.
I do know a group from the UK went out there around 10 yrs ago also to the same thing.
So to hear from any of those people would be great.
Thanks

I was part of the group Loblaws brought here 10 years ago. I'm no longer in the transport industry but happy to help if I can

CaraUKtoCanada Dec 13th 2022 12:26 pm

Oh hello it’s lovely to hear from you.
could you tell me a bit about your experience please. Did the job the turn out to be as described by Loblaw?
was they very supportive in helping you settle?
how long did you stay with Loblaw?
and how is Regina? Do you like it there?

SaskRuss Dec 13th 2022 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by CaraUKtoCanada (Post 13159930)
Oh hello it’s lovely to hear from you.
could you tell me a bit about your experience please. Did the job the turn out to be as described by Loblaw?
was they very supportive in helping you settle?
how long did you stay with Loblaw?
and how is Regina? Do you like it there?

What you need to remember is Loblaws are not a transport company they deal in groceries and as such, the transport side was "sketchy" to say the least once the management team began to desert the sinking ship and left people in charge who had never been near a truck let alone drive one.

We were part of a group of 40 drivers brought here in 2012/13 and I would guess there is maybe 3 or 4 of that group still working there from what I have seen. Loblaws paid for our Class 1 instruction, LCV and license training but not for anything outside of that, so it was up to us to find accommodation. We only did Canada wide work when I was there so no trips south and all night work, no day trips. We were on set working schedules (5 on, 3 off, 5 on 2 off etc) so you couldn't decide when you wanted to work it was set in stone. We had to wait for a text each day to find out what time we were starting work. This was very frustrating as you may start at 3 in the afternoon, or you may start at 9pm, either way you had to be awake to see the text to know when your shift started and if you hadn't got home till 8am that morning, sleep was sometimes hard to come by. Not a good scenario if you had a 9 hour drive to Edmonton and would be awake till 8/9am the following morning.

I was there less than 2 years and left as soon as we had our permanent resident status. You couldn't pay me enough now to go back pulling 2 x 53 ft trailers especially overnight when the winter weather is horrendous, and the standard of driving is low to say the least.

Regina is far from a bustling metropolis; it is similar in size to an average town in England. It is one of the cheapest places to live in Canada right now especially if you are buying a home, but the cost of living is still high here and getting worse each year as is the rest of the country. I am fortunate that I can take my trade anywhere in the country, but my wife has a great job here and my son who has learning difficulties gets a lot of assistance too so for now, we are going nowhere.

I left Loblaws in 2015 so my experience is from a long time ago and things may have changed, or they may not. All I would say is do as much research as possible, don't be impressed by a dollar amount for a salary if you want to enjoy life too. Trucking here is a hard life and most people I know who are still in it would gladly get out of it, especially those who are paid mileage rates and not hourly and spend all week chasing their tails around.

Ntashuk Mar 14th 2023 2:56 pm

CaraUKtoCanada did you go in the end?
my husband is looking at this exact job with loblaw.

CaraUKtoCanada Mar 14th 2023 3:09 pm

Hi
I am not there yet but still going..I’m due to arrive mid April.

Ntashuk Mar 14th 2023 6:21 pm

CaraUKtoCanada pleeeeeease keep us updated! Would love to know how you get on. Good luck with the move.

vickysteve Mar 14th 2023 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by CaraUKtoCanada (Post 13179644)
Hi
I am not there yet but still going..I’m due to arrive mid April.

Good to hear about the job, do you know if they are still looking for drivers?

CaraUKtoCanada Mar 14th 2023 8:48 pm

I believe they are yes

CaraUKtoCanada Mar 14th 2023 8:50 pm

@ NtashUK yes I’ll keep you updated 😁

vickysteve Mar 14th 2023 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by CaraUKtoCanada (Post 13179736)
I believe they are yes

Would you be able to give me any contact information you have for them I had tried looking online but cannot find anything

CaraUKtoCanada Mar 14th 2023 8:53 pm

I will ask my contacts if I can give you their details. Are you in the UK?