Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

LLB AND LPC student moving from the uk, all advice needed, looking to work from home

LLB AND LPC student moving from the uk, all advice needed, looking to work from home

Old Dec 30th 2014, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Sukhi19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face LLB AND LPC student moving from the uk, all advice needed, looking to work from home

Hi All

I have studied the LLB and LPC in London UK, i know there are many threads on this before but my situation is slightly different,

I did not get the best of marks on my LLB and finished with a 3rd class degree, however i was persistent and also completed the LPC and done well in that.

My situation is that i completed my degree about 9 years and then started working in sales to save money to do my LPC, I studied the LPC part time and completed that around 5 years ago with good grades.

I then god married and was working with my husband, We then applied to move to Canada so i did not do any work experience in London as we were looking to work and save money for the move.

i moved here on the 11th Dec 2014 and now i am looking to see what work i can do here, i have a one year old daughter and looking to have more kids so i though about working from home, i have heard that some people sign contracts and look through contracts from home, how can i get into doing something like this without studying to much? its pretty hard to study with the baby. I can look at employment contracts or go into a particular filed ie, real estate or do i need to go down the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) route?

I read this on their website.'Applicants with Third Class standing (or lower) do not usually receive any advanced standing. They may, however, receive advanced standing on the basis of their admission to the Law Society or as a member of the Bar and post-admission professional legal experience.' i know i have a 3rd in my degree but i have also completed the LPC, will this favor my case?

All help and advise is much appreciated

Sukhi
Old Dec 30th 2014, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: LLB AND LPC student moving from the uk, all advice needed, looking to work from h

More on this, i have had a quick look at becoming a paralegal, i think this route might be easier for me to work in the legal field. what will i need to do in terms of studying for this?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLB AND LPC student moving from the uk, all advice needed, looking to work from h

Do you have permanent residency or are you a Canadian citizen? Do you have the right to work here already? That would seem to be the first step.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have permanent residency and have the right to work now, I have got my SIN number etc
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sukhi19
Hi All

I have studied the LLB and LPC in London UK, i know there are many threads on this before but my situation is slightly different.

My situation is that i completed my degree about 9 years and then started working in sales to save money to do my LPC, I studied the LPC part time and completed that around 5 years ago with good grades.

i moved here on the 11th Dec 2014 and now i am looking to see what work i can do here, i have a one year old daughter and looking to have more kids so i though about working from home, i have heard that some people sign contracts and look through contracts from home, how can i get into doing something like this without studying to much? its pretty hard to study with the baby. I can look at employment contracts or go into a particular filed ie, real estate or do i need to go down the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) route?

I read this on their website.'Applicants with Third Class standing (or lower) do not usually receive any advanced standing. They may, however, receive advanced standing on the basis of their admission to the Law Society or as a member of the Bar and post-admission professional legal experience.' i know i have a 3rd in my degree but i have also completed the LPC, will this favor my case?

All help and advise is much appreciated

Sukhi
Few comments

1. My suggestion rather than ask here is to formally contact the law society & ask them the question of whether you can fast track to BAR & what it would take

2. Have you contacted any legal firms to see whether (with your UK qualifications) if they'd take you on to do some paralegal work under the eye of the partner?

3. As for paralegal,

http://www.lsuc.on.ca/licensingproce...?id=2147491230

http://www.lsuc.on.ca/licensingproce...?id=2147495399

Homepage

http://ontarioparalegalassociation.com/companies

Appears the field pays decent money without slogging the hours as a (low paid runner) lawyer.

Last edited by not2old; Jan 3rd 2015 at 6:45 pm.