Default Re: Living in Vancouver, British Columbia

Originally Posted by Lostris
:scared:

Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

gibblestick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
Sure sounds like intimidation to me..........

No, you turned a debate about crime in BC into a personal attack against yourself......by leaving a message (that I felt wasn't an accurate reflection of the situation) in BC. I only "cautioned" you that as a lawyer you at the very least owe it to your clients to give them an unbiased opinion of BC.

I'm not bitter in the least, I love living in BC - I have watched it go through all the major growing pains that it's presently doing - and people need to see and hear a true reflection of the change both good and bad in this province. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Canada.

Enjoy your day!!!

Gentlemen,
calm down!

The basic point being made is :-
Vancouver is a nice place with low but not zero crime.
I'm sure that somewhere like Whistler has a lower crime rate, as would perhaps, Irvine, California.
Vancouver is a large city (much bigger than Calgary) and with size, comes crime. For as accurate as possible comparisons, you need to compare cities with similar climates, areas and population densities.
If the UN can complie a survey each year that rates Vancouver as pretty damn good, I'll take their word for it
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lostris is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL Glaswegian,

OK so you both basically agree that Vancouver is a great place to live, yeah?

Good, glad that's sorted out, we can all have a nice day now.

PEACE.

Last edited by Lostris; Aug 19th 2004 at 4:56 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:57 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by gibblestick
Vancouver is a large city (much bigger than Calgary) and with size, comes crime.
There's a lot to be said for the smaller cities in Canada....

Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
My kids love PBS kids, we don't feel the need to pay for cable and sorry, British TV isn't that great - I really resented the license fee!

.......maybe it depends what age your children are. We have found that mostly the non paying stuff is rubbish American cartoons or sitcoms. Have not come across anything educational apart from what we subscribe too. Surely you have to agree Blue Peter is hard to beat!!!!!!!

JJ
Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:33 am
Glaswegian

Our PBS is supplied KSPS which is run by the Spokane school board.

Blue Peter wasn't the same after Val left .....

Not paying for cable allows us to spend money on other educational stuff and there's less chance they're going to see something that will give them nightmares

Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:08 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Our PBS is supplied KSPS which is run by the Spokane school board.

Blue Peter wasn't the same after Val left .....

Not paying for cable allows us to spend money on other educational stuff and there's less chance they're going to see something that will give them nightmares
I sense a 1964 baby...so at least two of us remember Shep then....
I have cable, and my kids watch BBCKids. There are the odd Canadian/US cartoons I will give in to...Dora the Explorer, Dragon Tales and Max & Ruby.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:38 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by dingbat
I sense a 1964 baby...so at least two of us remember Shep then....
Spot on!! Did you hide behind the sofa when Patrick Troughton was Dr Who too? I only came out from behind the furniture when Jon Pertwee got the job.

I try to restrict TV watching - it's brain candy and that also includes a lot of the adult programming. KSPS has George Shrinks, Dragon Tales, Arthur, etc - it also has things like Cyberchase (math problems) and Liberty's Kids (US history) which my kids think are great.

Maybe I'll think about digital services next year - you can restrict what services the kids get access to a lot more easilly. Right now I don't want them to be able to flick over to stuff like CNN.

Old Aug 21st 2004, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=Glaswegian]

Remembering that I'm just a "lowly" biologist and you're an engineer - can you explain (in simple terms) (no technical terms allowed) how digital services would give you MORE
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:02 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Living in Vancouver, British Columbia

Gentlemen, Gentlemen !!!

Lets start afresh here and put the dolly's back in their prams !!!!!!!!

We all talk about crime and how if affects us, if you were to look at the posting headed, Pros and Cons on living in Canada, you will see that everything that has been discussed here has already been debated on that forum.

Lets not get the handbags out yet !!!!!!! and keep it professional

Enjoy your day gents

Eddie