Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in UK, visiting Can for 6 mth, giving up address, NHS?

Living in UK, visiting Can for 6 mth, giving up address, NHS?

Old Jun 11th 2023, 9:22 am
Just Joined

HTS_QC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in UK, visiting Can for 6 mth, giving up address, NHS?

Hi,

I have been living in UK for 10 years and I have settled status, I will move out of the flat I rent in UK and be unemployed soon and I will spend 6 months in Canada as visitor. (for the purpose of my question, let's assume they will let me in Canada at the border):
I have looked into travel insurances for medical emergencies. They have a repatriation clause to the UK should that option be cheaper than paying for my medical treatment in Canada.

My question is: say something happens to me after 5 months I get repatriated by my travel insurance to UK where I haven't had address/employment for the last 5 months. Do I get free NHS?

I imagine homeless people have access to free NHS, therefore once repatriated and entered the country thanks to my Settled Status right to abode, I would count as homeless living in UK?

Last edited by HTS_QC; Jun 11th 2023 at 9:25 am.
Old Jun 11th 2023, 9:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in UK, visiting Can for 6 mth, giving up address, NHS?

Hi, welcome to BE. NHS eligibility is based on residency, so as long as you're still UK resident then you'd be able to use it no problem. The issue you may have is proving that you are still resident if you have no job or address though. So think about what other ties you'll have - bank account, insurances, etc.

And I know you said assume you are granted entry to Canada, but that's a big risk IMO. If you don't have ties to the UK to prove you'll return there you risk being refused entry, or being given much less than 6 months (it's up to 6 months at the discretion of the immigration officer, not an automatic 6 months). Your other thread is asking about moving to Canada, not just visiting, so it's not really clear what your actual plan is. You can't move without a visa allowing you to do so.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 11th 2023 at 9:45 am.
Old Jun 11th 2023, 10:41 am
Just Joined

HTS_QC is an unknown quantity at this point

I will not permanently move to Canada until I get my PR. In the meantime I will be a visitor under dual intent.
If they don't let me in, so be it, I will go elsewhere while I wait for PR.
Old Jun 11th 2023, 1:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HTS_QC
I will not permanently move to Canada until I get my PR. In the meantime I will be a visitor under dual intent.
If they don't let me in, so be it, I will go elsewhere while I wait for PR.
Ah ok, so you have a spouse applying for you and she/he will have received Sponsor Approval by the time you leave? That is different then, as long as you can support yourself for the 12-18 months it'll take to get PR (and prove it when you enter) you should be ok. You won't be eligible for the NHS though unless you return to the UK to live there.

If you're eligible, it might be worth applying for British citizenship before you leave. I don't know how long it would be before you'd lose settled status (BiP who commented on your other thread is the man to answer that question) but might be worth securing your status in case you decide you want to return from Canada in the future.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 11th 2023 at 1:06 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2023, 10:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah ok, so you have a spouse applying for you and she/he will have received Sponsor Approval by the time you leave? That is different then, as long as you can support yourself for the 12-18 months it'll take to get PR (and prove it when you enter) you should be ok. You won't be eligible for the NHS though unless you return to the UK to live there.

If you're eligible, it might be worth applying for British citizenship before you leave. I don't know how long it would be before you'd lose settled status (BiP who commented on your other thread is the man to answer that question) but might be worth securing your status in case you decide you want to return from Canada in the future.

Good luck.
Five years but if your intention is a permanent move to Canada then I would recommend British citizenship to ensure that door always remains open for you and your family.
Old Jun 12th 2023, 7:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Five years but if your intention is a permanent move to Canada then I would recommend British citizenship to ensure that door always remains open for you and your family.
Thank you, I knew you'd know.