Reload this Page >

Living in a small city

Living in a small city

Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:11 am
Just Joined

felipechina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in a small city

Hi,

I am planning to move to Cranbrook which has around 20.000 to study at college of the rockies.

I would like to know if anyone had any experience living in a small city like this one, specially when it comes to getting a job

Thanks!!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:10 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in a small city

It would appear that there are a few jobs available, but it would depend on what you are looking for.

You can find out more here: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/job...anbrook&sort=M

http://www.workbc.ca/Jobs/JobSeekers/SearchResults.aspx
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:01 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Prince George has about 80,000 people and a large transitory population, and on a recent trip back to uk I drove thru London, Brighton and Southampton and it was hell so I missed my little home town!

Getting a job doesn't seem to be that hard here. I've been offered three just by accident! (Owner of accountant so impressed by my organisation she offered me job on the spot {prev was accountant in uk} got job teaching scrapbooking at Michaels by Accident!
I guess it depends what you want to do, jobs in my field of study (BSc psych) are scarce here but I'm not qualified yet.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the help guys.

The thing is, I will be studying and my wife will be the one trying to get a job, but the biggest problem is that she still has a very poor english so I am wondering whether is better to go to a bigger city or a smaller city in order to find a better job.

Also, have anyone studied at the college of the rockies?? I saw they are ranked first in canada and second in the world!!
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:43 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by felipechina
Also, have anyone studied at the college of the rockies?? I saw they are ranked first in canada and second in the world!!
Ranked first and second for what?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

thanks for the help guys.

The thing is, I will be studying and my wife will be the one trying to get a job, but the biggest problem is that she still has a very poor english so I am wondering whether is better to go to a bigger city or a smaller city in order to find a better job.

What language does she speak well? If it is not English or French then I imagine she will struggle finding any work that is not menial. There are lots of programmes for immigrants to learn an official language. I would suggest that she tries to sign up for one of them to help her with her language skills
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

maybe get a job at a call center English doesn't seem to required
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R I C H
Ranked first and second for what?
many things =D

check it out: http://www.cotr.bc.ca/press/fullhdLine.asp?IDnumber=682
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rich07
What language does she speak well? If it is not English or French then I imagine she will struggle finding any work that is not menial. There are lots of programmes for immigrants to learn an official language. I would suggest that she tries to sign up for one of them to help her with her language skills
But do you think such a small city like that would have programs for immigrants?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:14 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cotr.bc.ca/internl/cotr_web.asp?IDNumber=182

It is not cheap.

This might also be useful

http://www.cbal.org/cranbrook.html

I agree with the poster above you said that if will be difficult to secure a decent job without reasonable English language skills. There migt be some minimum wage jobs around, but the best opportunity might be if there are any tourist programs offered to holidaymakers from your home country.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:32 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

So out of 100+ degree granting colleges/universities in Canada, 25 were asked for feedback? Hardly a thorough test or truly representative. Smacks of PR spin from Cranbrook.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich07
French is pretty useless in BC in general and in a small town like Cranbrook is even more useless.

English is pretty much mandatory to know in BC, especially in a small town.

Remember the smaller the town the less resources there will be and generally the less jobs there will be, so keep that in mind.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
http://www.cotr.bc.ca/internl/cotr_web.asp?IDNumber=182

It is not cheap.

This might also be useful

http://www.cbal.org/cranbrook.html

I agree with the poster above you said that if will be difficult to secure a decent job without reasonable English language skills. There migt be some minimum wage jobs around, but the best opportunity might be if there are any tourist programs offered to holidaymakers from your home country.
actually, these are the prices
http://www.cotr.bc.ca/INTERNL/cotr_web.asp?IDNumber=183
I am going for a business certificate and this college is one of the cheapest ones I could find, just not sure about its quality.

I am planning to go either to college of the rockies or brandon university =D
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R I C H
So out of 100+ degree granting colleges/universities in Canada, 25 were asked for feedback? Hardly a thorough test or truly representative. Smacks of PR spin from Cranbrook.
Rachel Worley, i-graduate Marketing Manager notes, “193 institutions took part in the 2012 autumn wave of the International Student Barometer - the world's largest survey of student satisfaction, with feedback from over 1.5 million students since the survey was first carried out in 2005. We're delighted to have a number of new institutions on board, including College of the Rockies.”
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:59 pm
Pea Brain

Rachel Worley, i-graduate Marketing Manager notes, “193 institutions took part in the 2012 autumn wave of the International Student Barometer - the world's largest survey of student satisfaction, with feedback from over 1.5 million students since the survey was first carried out in 2005. We're delighted to have a number of new institutions on board, including College of the Rockies.”
Rachel can spin it however she likes. Doesn't change the fact that only 25% of Canadian institutions were included in the survey. The 1.5 million students figure sounds impressive, but it's over 8 years, so on a global student scale pretty small.

When choosing a college based on 'its the cheapest I can find', be aware you often get what you pay for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.