Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:09 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

I get where the original Canadian poster (that revived this long dead thread) is coming from, I just didnt bother to argue the specifics. Regardless, I doubt the original poster of the thread could be considered a competent source of anything other then (perhaps) wiping their own backside.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Hi

Why does everyone take a pop at hardworking Polish people who come over to the UK and do the job that no Brit would want to do? Why is it ok for Brits to come over to Canada and take a Canadian job?

I just don't get it

Jonathan
I'll tell you what really bugs me is that i could not get Child benefit for my daughter when we moved here and i certainly didnt expect to but called them to tell them we were leaving the country. BUT polish workers can get child benefit for there children REGARDLESS of whether they are in uk or poland! that riles me no end.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:15 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jempee
I'll tell you what really bugs me is that i could not get Child benefit for my daughter when we moved here and i certainly didnt expect to but called them to tell them we were leaving the country. BUT polish workers can get child benefit for there children REGARDLESS of whether they are in uk or poland! that riles me no end.
Could this be due to the "Euorpean Union" per chance?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Daedra
Could this be due to the "Euorpean Union" per chance?

personally (i will expect loads of people to jump on me!) i dont care what union it is

also was there not a big thing in the papers about polish workers taking money earnt here and sending it back and not contributing to our economy or the such like.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's such a big deal to you, why not **** a pole and move to Poland? Then you could enjoy the benefits you envy.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

personally (i will expect loads of people to jump on me!) i dont care what union it is

also was there not a big thing in the papers about polish workers taking money earnt here and sending it back and not contributing to our economy or the such like.
Oh well, now of course I'm totally convinced. Just the sheer erudition of this argument has won me over. So much for Europe. So much for immigration. What next is my only worry?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

People spending their money on what they like and sending it where they like. Absolutely disgusting. Me, I give most of mine to Gordon Brown.

K.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
People spending their money on what they like and sending it where they like. Absolutely disgusting. Me, I give most of mine to Gordon Brown.

K.
And why not? He is such a nice guy and obviously needs all the cash he can get. I give him regular donations too. And even after taking all my money off me he still refuses to give me any free trainers let alone a nice car!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
If it's such a big deal to you, why not **** a pole and move to Poland? Then you could enjoy the benefits you envy.

Old Dec 16th 2006, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

ontres has a spectacular aura aboutontres has a spectacular aura aboutontres has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Lionel_in_Ontario]Is that a bad thing? Do we really need more people like her moving over -

Well said.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 8:57 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Be careful, the moderators can read lips.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:28 pm
Senile Member

Jempee!! *shock* *horror* :scared:
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Why does everyone take a pop at hardworking Polish people who come over to the UK and do the job that no Brit would want to do? Why is it ok for Brits to come over to Canada and take a Canadian job?

I just don't get it

Jonathan
Originally Posted by Madmac
I understand your point but no one who has been through the immigration process, struggled to settle in a foreign country and tried hard to adjust to life in said country 'takes' Canadian jobs.
I think that's a perspective shared by many immigrants of the skilled worker class but many Canadians don't know or care about how immigrants got into Canada. An immigrant, is an immigrant, is an immigrant...... and from my eavesdropping and a couple of unpleasant exchanges there are plenty of Canadians who perceive that immigrants are indeed taking Canadian jobs. Whether or not this is the case, isn't my point, but rather that there is an element of Canada Joe on the street who will blame immigrants for stealing jobs and 'this and that' just like Joe Bloggs of the UK will.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 8:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pint princess
Whether or not this is the case, isn't my point, but rather that there is an element of Canada Joe on the street who will blame immigrants for stealing jobs and 'this and that' just like Joe Bloggs of the UK will.
I know this to be so. My business partner, a proper unhyphenated Canadian, has three sons, the youngest being twenty-five or so. All of them live at home and none of them has bothered pursuing a career as the family believes immigrants have taken all the work and one cannot advance without qualifying for a quota. I don't say they are typical Canadians (nor typical anything at all) but they are examples of Canadians who believe immigrants (as well as wimmin and gays) done them out of a job.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 10:03 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pint princess
I think that's a perspective shared by many immigrants of the skilled worker class but many Canadians don't know or care about how immigrants got into Canada. An immigrant, is an immigrant, is an immigrant...... and from my eavesdropping and a couple of unpleasant exchanges there are plenty of Canadians who perceive that immigrants are indeed taking Canadian jobs. Whether or not this is the case, isn't my point, but rather that there is an element of Canada Joe on the street who will blame immigrants for stealing jobs and 'this and that' just like Joe Bloggs of the UK will.
As you say, it's as equally true of the UK too. It may be one of the factors over here that convinces us to go back 'over there' where we would at least not be labelled as job stealers.

I now appreciate more fully how some of my foreign students were treated when they tried to get jobs in Scotland and were met with the ignorant, xenophobic and jingoistic attitudes of some of my fellow countrymen. It makes me sad and slightly angry to even think about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.