Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Originally Posted by Daedra
Canoe Jam, NOW magazine, your local TV Times and newspaper also has an "Entertainment" section with columns written by Canadians on Hollywood gossip. Surely you know this and were simply being sarcastic though
No. Not sarcastic. I haven't heard of Canoe or Jam. Now is more news and agit prop; I bet they'd be horrified to be called gossip as they're aiming to be the local Time Out. I haven't seen a local version of the TV Times.

Gossip magazines I read in the checkout line (I choose the longest line) include People, US Weekly, Hello!, and a competitor to Hello! name forgotten, Oi!, maybe. I also look over the Enquirer, the Globe and the WWN though they're not strictly gossip. I think they're the popular ones and none of them are local.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Meg Muzza is an unknown quantity at this point

To everyone who reads this.....this woman is full of it. Her figures are way off. I am a candian citizen sponsoring my husband in ontario. Anyone who pays$180 for cable and internet is out of thier minds. There are some highly suspect situations she talks about, for instance someone running into the back of her, that driver is automatically at fault by canadian law.....if she couldnt claim off him she needs to find new insurance. I have lived here and I'm not sure the people shes talking about but canadians fight for a whole lot more the british ever do! Personally i think she made the wrong choice of moving for her and now wants to blame evryone else. This is not an accurate picture of ontario.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

After 32 pages I think we got that already...this thread should have died long ago...I thought it had, but it rises from the dead once more

However you and her both seem to misunderstand the nature of "no fault" insurance. You have to claim through your insurance, and then they go after the other party when they are at fault. This is to protect drivers from others with no insurance. There is definitely fault assigned (eventually), and his insurance probably did pay out in the end.

What is most surprising is that none of the follow up posts at settlement.org call her on her many innaccuracies, but most of this tedious thread basically pulls her arguments apart.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 14th 2006 at 4:27 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Iain, I'm a little amused with your line "little left to say". Are you sure about that?

Keep up the good work!
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Souvenir] Francophone Canadians, even bilingual ones, can't tell if I'm Anglo Canadian, Brit or Australian.QUOTE]

since we arrived in september i have lost count of the times i have been asked if we are from Australia or NZ !
And those that do know some of Englands accents seem to have a habit on hearing ours say 'oh your from down s'alf then' like we are all cockney talking if you get my drift chav
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Meg Muzza is an unknown quantity at this point

The point I was making is that she has made it seem like the guy was NEVER charged and that she would NEVER get compensation for it. Which is blatently not true (I know as I have had accidents, and so have many firends a relatives) A friend of mine did exactly what this guy did to her and I know her picture of the situation is completely different from the reality of what Legally would have had to happen at the scene of an accident. Yes you are correct in that you must go through your own insurance company to claim off theirs however this is no different from the uk (again I lived there and my husband and I have had an accident where someone ran into the back of us) so I do have experience there. The fact that she says there are no incentives for insurance in canada is crap. In britain they tart it up by calling it "no claims bonus" here is the same if you keep your record clean (not making any claims) then you dont get hit by higher costs. They just dont give it a name. The fact is that people need to realize this woman has grossly exaggerrated the costs and experiences and although yes it would be nice to assume people would dismiss her as a ignorant or uninformed, you cant help but be influenced by peoples stories. You should realizie that some people wont be as skeptical as you are of other postings.

Originally Posted by iaink
After 32 pages I think we got that already...this thread should have died long ago...I thought it had, but it rises from the dead once more

However you and her both seem to misunderstand the nature of "no fault" insurance. You have to claim through your insurance, and then they go after the other party when they are at fault. This is to protect drivers from others with no insurance. There is definitely fault assigned (eventually), and his insurance probably did pay out in the end.

What is most surprising is that none of the follow up posts at settlement.org call her on her many innaccuracies, but most of this tedious thread basically pulls her arguments apart.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 6:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meg Muzza
The fact is that people need to realize this woman has grossly exaggerrated the costs and experiences
If they havent picked that up after 32 pages here, then its not going to happen now!

Personally I suspect she could have been a troll....there is so much blatantly wrong in her diatribe. For example, 33% tax on $50k from dollar one. I have no idea which planet she was on with that one. Wrong in all ways, and thats just one of the more glaring ones.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:36 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets go back to the original thread posted.....LIVING IN ONTARIO. If you had asked me about settling in Ontario a few months ago I would have given you a very negative answer. I missed my mates desperately, I hated the supermarkets and as a woman I hated the clothes. I had no friends and to be honest my life was pretty shitty!!! Seven months on and I am feeling pretty good. I have made some fab friends.I can't buy Bovril to put on my toast now but I can suffer Marmite,Twiglets are out of the question but I can buy 'stale' ones at Pickering market at 4 bucks if I am desperate.I have some seriouisly daft mates that don't take their alcohol consumption too seriously.
Being from London isn't an issue now as we are all Brits.My best friends now are a geordie and the other is a Scot!!!!!!! Never would have happened in the UK... my loss.. they are great!!!Looking forward to our first 'white' Christmas, which according to Weather Network is not going to happen.
I am having a great time now, life is what you make it.....
To the person that wrote the original thread....give it a chance X
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:35 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Lets go back to the original thread posted.....LIVING IN ONTARIO. If you had asked me about settling in Ontario a few months ago I would have given you a very negative answer. I missed my mates desperately, I hated the supermarkets and as a woman I hated the clothes. I had no friends and to be honest my life was pretty shitty!!! Seven months on and I am feeling pretty good. I have made some fab friends.I can't buy Bovril to put on my toast now but I can suffer Marmite,Twiglets are out of the question but I can buy 'stale' ones at Pickering market at 4 bucks if I am desperate.I have some seriouisly daft mates that don't take their alcohol consumption too seriously.
Being from London isn't an issue now as we are all Brits.My best friends now are a geordie and the other is a Scot!!!!!!! Never would have happened in the UK... my loss.. they are great!!!Looking forward to our first 'white' Christmas, which according to Weather Network is not going to happen.
I am having a great time now, life is what you make it.....
To the person that wrote the original thread....give it a chance X
I am absolutely delighted for you both that things are now working out pretty well for you. It no doubt takes a heck of a lot of effort to adjust to your new environment, especially emotionally. Your message is an inspiration to any newcomers who are still trying to find their feet.

Thanks for this positive post. With your great attitude you'll do very well.

Hope you feel very proud of your achievements
Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarahad
OMG.... she cant have researched that much as most of the things she has moaned about she should have known before going?!?!?

At least the garbage man arrives there... its been pot luck here lately if they come... was left for 2 weeks the other week, next door had maggots in theres...

You have to pay for dental treatment in UK too most of the time now as alot of the dentists have gone private... a few months ago I paid £80 for a filling... 2 weeks later it fell out and I had to go back and pay another £90.

If she speaks to people around there with the same attitude... maybe thats why they act like they cant understand her... probably want to run a mile!!!

You have to pay your bills each month here in the UK... so whats her problem with that one???

Not all companies in UK pay you for being off sick.

Canada has it right i think making people pay for things and being choosy about who they let in to the country (obciously were not too choosy with her she must have slipped through!!). The UK gives money out left right and centre to people who are not from here and scum bags that are happy to sit on the dole and get everything given to them... and us tax payers foot the bills. We let any tom dick and harry just wander in to the country they get a council house and grant for a car etc (they are too scared to use public transport). We are getting so many polish coming over working for a couple of quid and taking jobs from people in the UK.
At least to get in to canada you have to be able to support yourself and cant just sponge off everyone!!!

Dont really understand that woman at all.... what a very strange person!!!

Oh god... ive turned in to a moaner just like her!!!!!
Hi

Why does everyone take a pop at hardworking Polish people who come over to the UK and do the job that no Brit would want to do? Why is it ok for Brits to come over to Canada and take a Canadian job?

I just don't get it

Jonathan
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Why does everyone take a pop at hardworking Polish people who come over to the UK and do the job that no Brit would want to do? Why is it ok for Brits to come over to Canada and take a Canadian job?
No, "everyone" isn't the correct word. I don't, and I've had plenty of Karma from people who don't. The illiterate anti-immigrant immigrant bigots do, but don't pay attention to them: they are morons who can't see the hypocrisy.

K.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:04 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Hi ......

.......... Why is it ok for Brits to come over to Canada and take a Canadian job?

I just don't get it

Jonathan
I understand your point but no one who has been through the immigration process, struggled to settle in a foreign country and tried hard to adjust to life in said country 'takes' Canadian jobs.

We go through the same interviews, applications and pointless bureaucracy as everyone else. Sometimes it's harder, sometimes it's not and that's the way it should be - a fair chance regardless.

Shouldn't this thread be taken out and shot by now?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't this thread be taken out and shot by now?
Should be re named "don't bother reading this thread, i wish i hadn't"
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

The nature of skilled worker is we are effectively recruited to do jobs there are not enough native canadians to do, so its not quite the same as open immigration, but the irony of potential immigrants complaining about (other) immigrants is an occasional feature of this forum

Why would you shoot a well beaten dead horse?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:50 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The nature of skilled worker is we are effectively recruited to do jobs there are not enough native canadians to do, so its not quite the same as open immigration, but the irony of potential immigrants complaining about (other) immigrants is an occasional feature of this forum

Why would you shoot a well beaten dead horse?
For sheer bloody-mindedness. Why else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.