Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Originally Posted by ray1968
5) Never seen a person poor or otherwise walk around with no shoes - honest!

There's often a hooker without shoes working from the office steps when I arrive in the morning. I tease her that she's no good to me because I'm a foot fetishist. I don't think it's at all remarkable to see homeless people without shoes.

I do think it's remarkable that someone who writes as badly as the author cited can get a job but then I suppose the competition here isn't up to much.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its possible though, I pay $220 monthly for oil and about $150 for Hydro

LOL, me too. I wish I hadnt bother too (reading it that is)

Oil I know is expensive but hydro $150 a months ounds about right and natural gas for me is about $110 per month (and thats on a 2600 sq foot home ) - so she's doing something wrong
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:56 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray1968
Oil I know is expensive but hydro $150 a months ounds about right and natural gas for me is about $110 per month (and thats on a 2600 sq foot home ) - so she's doing something wrong
Probably a grow op next door stealing her hydro!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

i read it , bad day do you think ? who said it was easy here ? who told her to come ?

what is up with some people , i paid 40% tax at home , if you equate all my house expenses , i paid $110 per month for cable , $120 per month for bt phone/internet $120 per month gas , $100 electric $4000 per year house tax , bins were collected fortnightly, public transport , two buses in morn and two in afternoon , took my son 1hr by bus to do 10 min journey by car . i could go on , no body forces us here , we are all entitled to moan , but she goes ott.

yes it is hard but technically some of us are starting again from scratch , it is just the same as when you start for the first time in the uk
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Henneth will become famous soon enoughHenneth will become famous soon enough

As for the guy who came from the US, congrats, nice to see all worked well for you, although I fail to see how it could have failed for you, really .... you already had access to the information in Canada and how the systems run and from what I hear it was bound to be an improvement to the US standard of living and costs so why would you complain??
WTF?!?

So she carried out 5 years of research before moving.... yet is inferring that she didn't have "access to the information in Canada and how the systems run". Hmmm....

"It was bound to be an improvement over the US standard of living and costs"? Last time I checked the US was deemed to have a higher overall standard of living than the UK - which is the country she is using as her point of reference for her gripe.

Life's what you make it and for some people it seems the glass is perpetually half empty....
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
The real sad thing though is this womans ignorance seems to have made a few people think twice about moving to Canada in that thread.
Is that a bad thing? Do we really need more people like her moving over - people who base their expecations on what they've read about, rather than thinking for themselves?

If she puts off these type of people who base their life choices on one comment on a forum, then it's a job well done as far as i'm concerned!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:50 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionel_in_Ontario
Is that a bad thing? Do we really need more people like her moving over - people who base their expecations on what they've read about, rather than thinking for themselves?

If she puts off these type of people who base their life choices on one comment on a forum, then it's a job well done as far as i'm concerned!
Thats a very good point. There just seems to be a growing tide of disillusioned people that have moved to Canada and have found it difficult and somehow blame Canada for their troubles. A search into google for reasons to move to Canada actually brings up more pages as why not to move to Canada.

Its almost like some of these people believe Canada owes them something. For example, "No-one will employ me because I'm not Canadian". Thats the statement that annoys me the most, and its a ludicrous claim. Do they expect
to just send the resume out and the job offers to come crawling in? Like any country, it requires hard work and a lot of patience and effort. You wouldnt expect it to be that easy in the UK so why Canada? True, you might have to take a step down from your current job to get to where you want, but I look at it from an employers point of you. Its a risk to employ someone not from Canada, who doesn't know your company or systems, or the Canadian industry, especially when there's plenty of Canadians who would probably integrate a lot quicker. What makes you so special? Its about selling yourself. If want something badly enough and you're prepared to work hard at it, 99% of the time you'll prosper.

And as for the higher cost of everything possible that woman was moaning about, I personally think its all swings and roundabouts. Somethings will be cost more, some less. Yes,Car insurance is more expensive. But i only pay 45p per litre of gas. Work out the cost of running your car in the UK or Canada, and i'm sure I know which one you'll choose

She should really be complaining about the collossal cost of imported beers!

Last edited by andrewrb143; Nov 9th 2006 at 5:53 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Thats a very good point. There just seems to be a growing tide of disillusioned people that have moved to Canada and have found it difficult and somehow blame Canada for their troubles. A search into google for reasons to move to Canada actually brings up more pages as why not to move to Canada.
All good points.

People would be a LOT happier if they just stopped comparing to the way it was back home.

I have nice friends and a new family.
I have a nice place to live.
I have a nice new car.
I have a job I enjoy.
I have a cute cat.

I don't care anymore about my friend back in the UK buying another overpriced house or romping around in a new sports car. I don't care that my car insurance is double what I paid back home. I don't care that my first job here paid about a third of what I made back home. I don't care about companies who ignored my applications.

I've never been happier. The only thing I truly miss is my family and friends. And maybe the drinking.

Immigration is a big step, if you make the jump, you have to never look back, otherwise you'll never be truly happy.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Hmm, think her attitude is best summed up in her statement "If you wanted to complain to someone who do you go to?" I suspect she did just as much whining wherever she lived before. Most of her issues are with things that are pretty much the same in every other Western country.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Hmm, think her attitude is best summed up in her statement "If you wanted to complain to someone who do you go to?" I suspect she did just as much whining wherever she lived before. Most of her issues are with things that are pretty much the same in every other Western country.
OK, I think she should be burned at the stake, obviously a witch.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:09 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

I am eagerly awaiting Angie's badly-spelled 'information CD'.

Is it available at the Home Deeeepot?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tidge
I am eagerly awaiting Angie's badly-spelled 'information CD'.

Is it available at the Home Deeeepot?
Saw it in a local Virgin megastore, my wife says she's going to get it for me as a xmas present, can't wait!
She's done one for Siberia apparently, needs a title though, any ideas?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:58 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Saw it in a local Virgin megastore, my wife says she's going to get it for me as a xmas present, can't wait!
She's done one for Siberia apparently, needs a title though, any ideas?
My Siberian Surrogate sorrow by Angie Whingebag

Little did i know that things could be as bad here as in Canada. The winters are horrendously cold. The price of a horse is extortionate. Want a job? forget it. They'd employ Siberian Huskies over immigrants any day...etc etc whinge repeatedly to fade.....
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:51 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have an English sheep dog called Bisto, can I get one here? Can I f**k! All I can get is damn Hukies! Some expats tried to throw me in the lake to see if I really was a witch, typical Siberia, the lake had turned to ice and I broke my broom, cost me 2 seals to get a new one from Iglo Deeepot. Siberia Sucks.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough

Ahh another anti-canada band-wagon jumper. At the end of the day, its what you make of it. 33% tax? which tax form is she filling out, i thought it was all staggered

The real sad thing though is this womans ignorance seems to have made a few people think twice about moving to Canada in that thread.
Hi

Your right:

"The real sad thing though is this woman's ignorance seems to have made a few people think twice about moving to Canada in that thread."

I've just had my meds, and have been up and down about the decision all along, but have spent so much time and money now on this I am determined to see it thorough.

I began the immigration process 3 years ago (AOR Jan 04), and got refused April 05 but my Immigration guy got the refusal overturned a year on, but we had already changed our life in the UK..New house, car dog etc, so we had to rethink if it is the right move again for us.

We are going to carry on with moving to Canada, and I've found some real useful threads o here over the years, but the negative ones's do get ya worried about what you may be going to put yourself through.

I know the experience is different for everyone and if you are having a great time, why would you be posting stuff on here?.

I think maybe it is good to read other peoples experiences weather they are go/bad. I know my original thought s were to flog my house and live the life of luxury in Canada with my 4 bed detached house, with double garage, big car overlooking a lake etc, but I knoda get the feeling its not all going to be plane sailing......

I think the bottom line is there are certain people who are happy with there life being 9-5 and coming home to there semi living in the same area for 60+ years, which is not a bad thing, but then there us who will always wonder what its like to live in another country, were ever it is and experience the different cultures and live there life.......Bring It On!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.