Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:23 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Originally Posted by kt0157
I heard they get free cars. Porsches in fact. And houses. Big detached ones. In Chelsea.
No just rusty old Ladas and you knows it is mush. All the big houses in Chelsea have been bought by Russian Mafia types, place has gone to the dogs, next thing Madonna will be moving in.

Rich.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:27 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rich_007
OK so you win, there's no problem with the case handling of immigrants and nobody has ever remained in the UK as an illegal immigrant after being denied asylum there are no homes in the country stacked floor to ceiling with numerous types of immigrants. No immigrant runs street rackets, and they buy their own leather jackets, cell phones and Tesco sneakers. The criminal underground (no it's not a tube stop) in London is not run by Albanian and Kosovan non-status crime gangs, in which case the police and crime intelligence sources are also bare faced frickin liars.

Rich.
Sorry i have to tell you im laughing my socks off. What rubbish.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

All the big houses in Chelsea have been bought by Russian Mafia types, place has gone to the dogs, next thing Madonna will be moving in.
Nah. Madonna lives near Marble Arch.

K.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:39 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzz365
What rubbish.
OK so I'm a dumb liar and the police and intelligence sources are liars too.....

http://www.mcrkba.org/Letters/38.html
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...05/ai_n9499572
http://members.madasafish.com/~opus/...er.061202.html

Rich.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:56 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

For a start i never take much stock in what the media say as they only report the fashion of the moment, and yes your always going to find certain element within a community who are going to break the law but this is only a small percentage. As usual a certain type of person will use snippets of news and sound bites to over exaggerate situations. As for the police and intelligence sources all i see is loads of arrests, but very little in making convictions. This leads me to believe that far too many of the people they label as criminals are in fact innocent.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It might help if we had a working definition of a credible source; the BBC, the Grauniad, the Torygraph, the NYT, the Globe and Mail, the CBC, AFP, Reuter's are generally thought credible sources. Articles from those sources still have to be taken with a pinch of salt but the facts claimed generally are more or less true. Croatiafocus.com is not a credible source. Quoting fringe groups tends to weaken one's argument.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 12:23 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
As any propogandist will tell you: "if enough people believe something, it's a fact".
Believed by many would be immigrants:

"I am emigrating to Canada for a better life/education for my children...."

There you go...a case in point.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

UK is a knocking shop for loungers and scroungers wanting an easy ride.

Rich
Begin rant:

Absolutely bang on, Rich!! Isn't this the real problem? It's nothing to do with skin colour or Country of origin - it's the welfare system that's at fault and in need of major reformation!

My brother's family are a perfect example. His wife's Father has 'had a bad back' ever since I was unfortunate enough to make his aquaintance some 20 odd years ago. So bad in fact; that he has been 'unable' to work a single day in all that time and god knows how long before that! He has always lived off of disability and whatever other benefits he can get his hands on (as do most other members of the family). I was stunned when he came to my house when I left England to help my brother relieve me of a few pieces of heavy furniture that I couldn't sell at such short notice; this included lifting and loading into a van, and driving back home, and unloading at the other end. Obviously not 'that' bad!

Now, before I get jumped on; the only 'proof' of this I can offer is what I've witnessed myself and that which my brother and his wife tells me (he has the misfortune to live with them)..

He (my bro) works ridiculously long hours at a manual job - sees little or nothing of his wages, whilst his wife (also too 'ill' to work - not), stays home and claims some sort of benefits/dole. Her mother is also (and always has been) at home claiming benefits, and their other adult children do the same. Even my brothers children are learning to emulate their elders - the youngest daughter, now 21, has never had a job, because she has 'kidney trouble' and her mother claims benefits for her; yet somehow her problems don't seem to prevent her from doing everything other normal 21 year olds do (including smoking heavily and drinking) EXCEPT working for a living! Her mother told me herself she gets over 800 quid a month in disability benefit just for her and another of their four 'kids' alone (all grown up though ), and more for her herself. Her parents own a house in Mitcham, Surrey (albeit modest) and also own a large static mobile home by the sea, which they visit regularly every summer for holidays. They also recently purchased a mini-van (which neither of them can even even drive).

My parents were good, honest, hard working people all their lives (my Mum is seventy and still working), rented a small coucil house and never once took any form of handout (except child allowance), and we never had holidays, only a few day trips. They could never afford such luxuries as a caravan by the sea! My dad could barely afford to repair his old dilapidated vehicles which he needed for his work. Something is very definitely wrong with this picture!

The above typifies what is really wrong with the (Y)UK IMO. Who can blame employers for giving work to willing eastern Europeans when many people in the UK wouldn't understand the concept of "a fair days work for a days pay" if it bit them in the arse??

End rant.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Believed by many would be immigrants:

"I am emigrating to Canada for a better life/education for my children...."

There you go...a case in point.
I can't speak for others - but in our experience, it was/is fact! Well; except maybe the education part

(Apparently "Wording" is NOT a word!)
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:24 am
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve666
She doesn't live anywhere specific, KT is all around us....

Anyway entertaining though all this is, it's Sunday night 10.40, my wife has told me it's time for bed, it's my turn to get the Ovaltine, get the iPod set up for some bedside music and look forward to another day at the office tomorrow.
AND THANKS A BUNCH FOR NOT CONGRATULATING ME ON GETTING TO SENIOR MEMBERSHIP!

I shall look forward to getting into this thread tomorrow morning and read through all the congratulation posts.

Actuall, I went through the 100 mark without realising.

Awww Steve, congratulations from me.... and thanks for giving me such a laugh through this stupid thread!!!!

Has anyone noticed how many times KT uses the word "bigot"? Seems to apply to anyone, in any topic to which he/she has differing opinion.

Guess what, KT - it's really true about the cars for immigrants.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:31 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
I can't speak for others - but in our experience, it was/is fact! Well; except maybe the education part

(Apparently "Wording" is NOT a word!)
Tee hee...you too..I had the same war about wording, the misuse and application of accept and except and of course loose to mean lose. I'm told I am too fussy...that "this stuff doesn't matter these days" and yet if someone needs a letter written that will likely get ministerial attention, guess who gets asked to write it?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dingbat
Tee hee...you too..I had the same war about wording, the misuse and application of accept and except and of course loose to mean lose. I'm told I am too fussy...that "this stuff doesn't matter these days" and yet if someone needs a letter written that will likely get ministerial attention, guess who gets asked to write it?
I continue to be amazed at the crap that comes back from school! I'm far form perfect, or an expert - but it's a bit much when one's fourteen year old daughter seems better qualified than the bloody English Teacher!

Have you not seen the "Shocked" thread in the Maple Leaf?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I think you're having a senior moment. I haven't lived in Oakville for over two years.

I see that you're from Basingstoke. Also that you were looking at new houses in Oakville and found them nice. I think you'll find the move pretty easy.
Didn't read the rest of your stuff, saw you moved, never heard of the other place but I guess you're happier there.

Lately we've rethought the Oakville experience and have decided to land in the Northwest Territories, Yellowknife to be precise, because we want to be away from immigrants and I want to be a diamond prospector.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzz365
Please let us know how your father knew they were immigrants? Infact define what he considers an immigrant to be. DSS confirmed the cheque was genuine............how odd what with the data protection act and so plus they confirm why the cheque was given to them.This is more like an urban myth than anything else.
How far advanced are you in your training? What colour is your light sabre? Do you get a black one when you complete your training like in Judo?

'Immigrant' is the wrong term to use when speaking of our Eastern European cousins, in fact they're in the E.U. which means they generally have the rights of us citizens, they can sign on, get jobs etc. without having to go through the immigration route. So stop calling them immigrants.

Hotels are brilliant over here now, almost all the hotel staff (except management, so far) I've met during my travels around this country are from eastern Europe, trying to explain the other day that my morning tea was weak and could I have another tea bag, please (I'm always polite) he returned with a larger empty cup. I decided not to take it any further and thanked him. Speaking on the phone is also a struggle, after booking into a hotel by phone and having a surreal conversation with the guy at the other end I arrive the next afternoon to find he had booked me into an expensive 2 bedroom suite instead of a single room. The person at the desk who I was trying to explain it to was also eastern European and eventually had to call an English person to get the situation sorted. I find it great fun and a distraction but there are others who get very wound up.

And there are also the French... But I suppose I can put up with their kin in Canada.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by raine66
Definately not a record, check out the bar in the Maple Leaf and there are others.

Raine
12 pages now... a record surely must be in the offing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.