Reload this Page >

living in Nova Scotia, working for UK based UK company

living in Nova Scotia, working for UK based UK company

Old Oct 30th 2019, 9:11 am
Just Joined

JaneStafford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living in Nova Scotia, working for UK based UK company

Morning,
I am sure that their is already a thread about tax, sorry for the duplicate question. I am moving to Halifax late December as my husband is already there living and working. I am still going to be working for my current company, albeit remotely. I am really confused about where I will pay tax as I am getting conflicting answers. My company are still going to pay me in sterling into my UK bank account as I will still have UK house bills to pay. Can someone please advise as to where I will pay tax and NI? Thanks for your help with this.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living in Nova Scotia, working for UK based UK company

Originally Posted by JaneStafford View Post
Morning,
I am sure that their is already a thread about tax, sorry for the duplicate question. I am moving to Halifax late December as my husband is already there living and working. I am still going to be working for my current company, albeit remotely. I am really confused about where I will pay tax as I am getting conflicting answers. My company are still going to pay me in sterling into my UK bank account as I will still have UK house bills to pay. Can someone please advise as to where I will pay tax and NI? Thanks for your help with this.
You'll be resident in Canada, so you'll pay tax (and other deductions there). You can opt to still pay NI if you want to, but don't have to.

Various other threads on the same subject which will give you info on what you need to do, such as this one - https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...canada-926646/

HTH and welcome to BE.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 4:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living in Nova Scotia, working for UK based UK company

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
You'll be resident in Canada, so you'll pay tax (and other deductions there). You can opt to still pay NI if you want to, but don't have to.
That would be the case if the employer switched to paying fees on an invoice. If the OP stays on the payroll with tax deducted then she'll have to go into the quagmire of paying tax in the UK and submitting a tax return in Canada for the same money with the tax already paid claimed as a deduction. If that's so then an accountant should be fetched to deal with it all.