Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Montreal without french

Living in Montreal without french

Old May 27th 2011, 7:55 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default Living in Montreal without french

Hi

I've just received an open work permit and was considering spending my time working in Montreal (or maybe elsewhere in Quebec). The problem is that my knowledge of French is limited to fragments I learnt in school about 13 years ago! Would I still be able to find work even with that problem? I was intending on working as a geophysicist in the oil/minerals industry, which is what I'm doing now in the UK.

I should add that I was hoping to take a 12-week residential course in France to get me to a minimum DELF B1 level before heading to Canada but the dates aren't really working out. That's why I was wondering if I could get a job and possibly do a French course while I was in Montreal rather than heading to France first and delaying my arrival...

Cheers for any insights you may have!
Cat
Old May 27th 2011, 7:58 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Living in Montreal without french

I don't know the industries of Quebec in great detail, but as a geophysicist wouldn't you do better in Alberta?
Old May 27th 2011, 8:15 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Yes, it's the other place I'm looking at but my boyfriend lives in Montreal and I'd prefer to be with him if possible. Obviously the job opportunities are more limited for me in Montreal in my line of work, hence why I need to know if my lack of French would take me out of the running.
Old May 27th 2011, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Silken will become famous soon enough

I think it's a tough question. Montreal is more bilingual than other parts of Quebec I'd say but still the laws are pretty strict regarding language so I think it might be tough for you. You should perhaps have your boyfriend check it out if he lives right in Montreal and maybe check with some possible employers online to find out whether you could easily get work.

Is your boyfriend not French-speaking?
Old May 27th 2011, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

If you are relocating to Canada for your boyfriend, would he not consider relocating to Alberta for you to get some canadian experience?
Old May 28th 2011, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by catpea33
Hi

I've just received an open work permit and was considering spending my time working in Montreal (or maybe elsewhere in Quebec). The problem is that my knowledge of French is limited to fragments I learnt in school about 13 years ago! Would I still be able to find work even with that problem? I was intending on working as a geophysicist in the oil/minerals industry, which is what I'm doing now in the UK.

I should add that I was hoping to take a 12-week residential course in France to get me to a minimum DELF B1 level before heading to Canada but the dates aren't really working out. That's why I was wondering if I could get a job and possibly do a French course while I was in Montreal rather than heading to France first and delaying my arrival...

Cat
Mon Dieu. I do admire you British people for your off-the-cuff attitude towards learning French. If only it were that easy and that free of politics. Sigh.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Mon Dieu. I do admire you British people for your off-the-cuff attitude towards learning French. If only it were that easy and that free of politics. Sigh.
If you are a female geophysicist, don't waste your time learning French! You already rock and Quebec doesn't deserve you. Just my 2 cents.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

catpea33,

in my experience, my advice would be that you avoid Montreal-you are starting a new job in a new city. This is a factor you should not play down & couple this with the stress that you will put on yourself to learn a new language will be immense. It was the toughest part of the 'Montreal experience'. In addition to it really putting you outside any semblence of a comfort zone, for you to succeed in the short to medium term, you will need to do it intensively, which will mean nightschool- at least 3-4 times per week.

I was fortunate in that I worked in aerospace, most of the suppliers 7 customers were American & therefore English was the language spoken at work. What I found to be very, very difficult was that the office spoke French- lunch breaks, office get togethers, etc. Through 30 years of Bill 101, most Montrealers grow up with French being their language of education. If you choose to make no effort to learn the language, Quebecers are not stupid, they see right through it- just another Anglophone in Quebec for the short term, expecting to muddle through life being unilingual. If, however, you embrace the language & make a genuine attempt to learn French, you will not meet a warmer group of people.

As far as day to day stuff, if you live in NDG or the West Island, you will have no problem getting by. Buying groceries, having a chat in the park, going to a restaurant, buying a house, etc.

It's the work environment, where it counts.
Old May 28th 2011, 7:18 am
is awesome

Originally Posted by gryphea
If you are relocating to Canada for your boyfriend, would he not consider relocating to Alberta for you to get some canadian experience?
I haven't asked him because his brother and niece live in Montreal and he's literally just bought a house. So really if I wasn't living in Montreal then it would be a case of breaking up and I don't want to do that.
Old May 28th 2011, 7:20 am
is awesome

Er, maybe I'm being dense but are their politics that might stop me? I was planning on doing a 12 week residential course in France to get the required DELF B1 standard that Quebec wants and I'd hope to surpass that too. Not really sure that's off-the-cuff to immerse myself for 3 whole months beforehand taking intensive classes!

Last edited by catpea33; May 28th 2011 at 7:29 am.
Old May 28th 2011, 7:24 am
is awesome

Originally Posted by Howick
catpea33,

in my experience, my advice would be that you avoid Montreal-you are starting a new job in a new city. This is a factor you should not play down & couple this with the stress that you will put on yourself to learn a new language will be immense. It was the toughest part of the 'Montreal experience'. In addition to it really putting you outside any semblence of a comfort zone, for you to succeed in the short to medium term, you will need to do it intensively, which will mean nightschool- at least 3-4 times per week.

I was fortunate in that I worked in aerospace, most of the suppliers 7 customers were American & therefore English was the language spoken at work. What I found to be very, very difficult was that the office spoke French- lunch breaks, office get togethers, etc. Through 30 years of Bill 101, most Montrealers grow up with French being their language of education. If you choose to make no effort to learn the language, Quebecers are not stupid, they see right through it- just another Anglophone in Quebec for the short term, expecting to muddle through life being unilingual. If, however, you embrace the language & make a genuine attempt to learn French, you will not meet a warmer group of people.

As far as day to day stuff, if you live in NDG or the West Island, you will have no problem getting by. Buying groceries, having a chat in the park, going to a restaurant, buying a house, etc.

Thanks, that's what my friend has said after moving to Germany not knowing the language and finding it very stressful. I would want to avoid doing that many classes while working as well so if I did still head to Montreal then learning the language to the standard Quebec want before heading out there would be useful - was looking at a 12 week residential course in France to get me to DELF B1+. I really wouldn't want to take the p*ss by not bothering to learn it - it annoys me when people do it in the UK!

Thanks for the advice though. It's given me a lot to think about in that I'm making it more difficult for myself by living out there. Now I just have to decide if my bf is more important or if I should head to Alberta!
Old May 28th 2011, 5:20 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Howick
catpea33,

Interesting to read this as I have been interviewed by an Aerospace company in Montreal area.....they said pretty much what you have written. Lack of french will not be a big issue but making the effort and learning some will really help you in the workplace.
Old May 28th 2011, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cat
Follow your dream and don't let others put you off. Yes, listen to advice and the experience of others but do what YOU think is right for you -life is too short not to. If you really want to learn French then you can do it. Many people who didn't speak English have done fine in English Canada. There's no reason why you can't do the same in French Canada. In fact it would probably be easier for you since so many people in Montreal also speak English to a reasonable level.
Old May 28th 2011, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Er, maybe I'm being dense but are their politics that might stop me?
Hi Catpea. I am a Canadian citizen (born) and have lived in the bilingual city of Ottawa all my life. It is generally understood that learning French is not the same as being French. (I am not French, btw). Language is *highly politicized* here and simply learning the language may seem from the outside to suffice, but in reality it is much more complex than that. Ottawa is the nation's capital and jobs here are very competitive between the anglos and the french. Many native-born Canadians try to learn French and become fluent, but hiring practices go much deeper than that (being born French Canadian and having the requisite French last name, accent, culture, politics, etc. all play into it.)

My honest two cents.
Old May 28th 2011, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Catpea. I am a Canadian citizen (born) and have lived in the bilingual city of Ottawa all my life. It is generally understood that learning French is not the same as being French. (I am not French, btw). Language is *highly politicized* here and simply learning the language may seem from the outside to suffice, but in reality it is much more complex than that. Ottawa is the nation's capital and jobs here are very competitive between the anglos and the french. Many native-born Canadians try to learn French and become fluent, but hiring practices go much deeper than that (being born French Canadian and having the requisite French last name, accent, culture, politics, etc. all play into it.)

My honest two cents.
**added**

Now, given, jobs in the government sector may be much more highly politicized than those in private business. I just view French as an added and undesireable hurdle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.