Reload this Page >

Living in the GTA

Living in the GTA

Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

GB1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in the GTA

Originally Posted by bats
This might help the OP when thinking of flooding risk.

http://www.canadianunderwriter.ca/ne...ng/1000211804/
Thanks bats for this link it was interesting reading.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Living in the GTA

Originally Posted by Linlaz
Hi there, just noticed your thread and wanted to add a comment or two before I head off for the day!

As you all mentioned the GTA is a huge area, as the others already mentioned, you do have to factor in a number of things, access to main roads through the GTA, location is key, schools for the kids, etc. Renting is a good option, but I would definintely do your research on recommended areas before doing so, I did so across the board and although there are some clear ghetto's around the GTA, there are some equally nice places to live, depends what you like! Renting short term for me, was a complete nightmare, nobody wants to offer it, too much work, not sure what it's like downtown, but don't expect too much, most want around a year min. When you're looking to buy, do take into account that nearer downtown Toronto, house taxes are double than the suburbs! We live in Woodbridge, very Italian oriented, but great school choices and people really look after their homes. Don't get me started on the 'spoiled women' thing!!!

We didn't have any problems with flooding as we are fairly high up, but close to nature parks etc and close to both highways. We decided to send our daughter to French Immersion too, it's an interesting concept, not for everyone, but my daughter is thriving and I can't believe after her first year, she only speaks French at school. You can always change after G8 for highschool in English, it's gives them a great start in languages.

I've been here coming up two years, it's always hard, but we are making the most of it and whilst I love lots of things, I miss lots of other. But we have to move on, when we make these choices, we are making the best of life here and it's going well. Think about car insurance too, you'll be classed as a first driver, so your insurance premiums will be sky high unless your company are paying. Just consider that, to lower the premiums you can drive a safer car ie, SUV or truck and do an intensive driving course which lowers the premiums considerable.

Going back to areas, it's true, the further north you go, you get more for your money in property, however, weather can be horrible during the winter months and take you hours to get across town.

Have to go, hope this helps some way.

Linda
Hi Linda thanks that was most helpful, do you know what the winter weather is like just north of you schomberg, orangeville and aurora regions?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GB1234
Hi Linda thanks that was most helpful, do you know what the winter weather is like just north of you schomberg, orangeville and aurora regions?
The rule of thumb is that winter starts at highway 89. North of there you get lots of road closures, some roads have permanent signs that just need switching on to close the road. South of there is balmy.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
The rule of thumb is that winter starts at highway 89. North of there you get lots of road closures, some roads have permanent signs that just need switching on to close the road. South of there is balmy.
Hi dbd33,
Thanks for the above, my instincts were R9 as a place to live not too much snow on. Roads and one of the nearest places to down town where I could afford a5/6bed detached as we have 5 kids. I also want to thank you for the insightful info on motor insurance which you posted as the premiums seem scary.Would you guess circa3000can. for two experienced drivers, an SUV 7 sweater and maybe a passenger truck type ???
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dbd33,
Thanks for the above, my instincts were R9 as a place to live not too much snow on. Roads and one of the nearest places to down town where I could afford a5/6bed detached as we have 5 kids. I also want to thank you for the insightful info on motor insurance which you posted as the premiums seem scary.Would you guess circa3000can. for two experienced drivers, an SUV 7 sweater and maybe a passenger truck type ???
$3,000 seems a little low for two vehicles. Usually it's $2,000 for one so with multi-vehicle and house-insurance-at-the-same-company discounts you might get down to $3,500.

If, by R9, you mean highway 9 then, yes. I used to commute to central Toronto from well past 89 and I'd feel confident that once I got to 9, there'd be no weather problems. Be aware though that the 400 and 410 are busy roads and the QEW from the 427 to Toronto is misery.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Linlaz is an unknown quantity at this point

When us expats start talking thousands fir car insurance then we anything is ridiculously high but that's a Canadian thing. It's just a shocker when you come from uk paying no more than $500 equivalent max for driving any car and fully comp, it's something difficult to get ones head around, but that's just hid it is unfortunately. Im definitely going to try Johnsons insurance as someone already mentioned especially if they'll take into account my experience and I have a letter from uk. I don't think it's the norm here though, mist companies won't take the letter!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

When us expats start talking thousands fir car insurance then we anything is ridiculously high but that's a Canadian thing. It's just a shocker when you come from uk paying no more than $500 equivalent max for driving any car and fully comp, it's something difficult to get ones head around, but that's just hid it is unfortunately. Im definitely going to try Johnsons insurance as someone already mentioned especially if they'll take into account my experience and I have a letter from uk. I don't think it's the norm here though, mist companies won't take the letter!
It's not a shocker after you've driven around Toronto for a day. People in Canada drive very poorly and they're extremely litigious; of course it costs a lot for insurance if you've a nation of people who think they're in bumper cars.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Try TD too, they have often been cheaper than Johnsons even without taking no-claims into consideration. They also give discounts for 2nd vehicles (like most). Aviva are reportedly quite reasonable too.

Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Living in the GTA

Originally Posted by dbd33
$3,000 seems a little low for two vehicles. Usually it's $2,000 for one so with multi-vehicle and house-insurance-at-the-same-company discounts you might get down to $3,500.

If, by R9, you mean highway 9 then, yes. I used to commute to central Toronto from well past 89 and I'd feel confident that once I got to 9, there'd be no weather problems. Be aware though that the 400 and 410 are busy roads and the QEW from the 427 to Toronto is misery.
Hi dbd33,
Yes I mean highway 9, cheers for the heads up on weather and traffic.
Now another topic of importance to me-broadband?
Does anyone know what a avergage speed I can expect in the highway 9 region?
Are all areas covered?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Hi dbd33,
Yes I mean highway 9, cheers for the heads up on weather and traffic.
Now another topic of importance to me-broadband?
Does anyone know what a avergage speed I can expect in the highway 9 region?
Are all areas covered?
Everywhere will be covered but, in the worst case the service will be xplornet satellite or, slightly better, line-of-sight. xplornet doubtless has a website with numbers to be taken with a grain of salt.