Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in the GTA

Living in the GTA

Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in the GTA

Originally Posted by Souvy
I don't mind if people speak to me in either language but FFS please stick to just one.
But that's how languages have evolved and developed over centuries.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:52 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
But that's how languages have evolved and developed over centuries.
True but I do wonder sometimes when franco people use anglicisms that are longer and more complicated than the French version.

That being said, I have developed the habit of swearing in quebecois. That is more complicated and takes longer but it really lets you vent!
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:56 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Rent first don't buy, that way you will know the areas better and make a more educated guess as to where to buy, it's not cheap selling a house here.

I take it then that the OP is a door to door sales man/person or a PI if traveling all over GTA for work. I would therefore recommend a place with easy access to Highway 401 :@)
Old Jul 19th 2013, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I would therefore recommend a place with easy access to Highway 401 :@)
You mean the biggest car park in North America?
Old Jul 19th 2013, 7:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Rent first don't buy,
Plus one.

Picking a permanent (or semi permanent) location based on the info available at this point is a hiding to nothing, and selling a place here to move elsewhere soon after buying in the wrong spot is going to cost a lot in commission.

Im just glad I dont live in the GTA <shudders> You might as well stay in the UK and have decent beer and cheese available, but each to their own.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 19th 2013 at 7:18 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 8:23 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You mean the biggest car park in North America?
It's quiet at 5:30 am and I usually use Steeles or Kingston Road to get home if I need to travel between 3:30 and 7pm
Old Jul 20th 2013, 8:43 am
Just Joined

GB1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
So you want to live north of the city, then? Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Newmarket, Aurora? You pays your money, you takes your choice.

I struggle to understand what you're asking, though. If work will take you anywhere in a semicircle around Toronto from Ajax to Mississauga, it becomes not much more than an exercise in sticking a pin in a map. What are you after: access to the lake, public transit, open space, nightlife, decent pubs, high culture? How much money do you want to spend: A few hundred grand, a couple of million?

The Toronto conurbation, as we are constantly reminded in the media, is the fourth largest urban centre in North America. It's a hugely diverse place - in ethnicity and culture, if not in infrastructure and architecture. We need a bit more to go on...

I don't know why you're concerned about elevation. Some homes in Toronto flooded last week after a particularly heavy rainstorm, but that has much more to do with overstretched and antiquated stormwater sewerage than with flood plain characteristics. If it helps, Wikipedia reckons Lake Ontario is about 74m above mean sea level, and most of Toronto and the surrounding area is a little bit higher up than that.
Thanks folks, I know this concern probably
Does not come up every day and as one of you said some houses flood with heavy rain.I want to get a mortgage on one of the houses that don't flood with heavy rain.As to elevation, rivers are always larger at sea/lake level than they are in the hills near their sources of course elevated sites down stream may not flood when surrounding areas do.
Does any one know any hill areas in toronto and environs???

Oakvillon, you seem to have the same location in mind as myself to allow me access to east and west.The watershed area extends north to just outside the peel and York boundaries just south of highway 9 say from orangeville to schomberg -Aurora.After that just need a big enough house detached, good family area, schools shopping etc.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 1:41 pm

Don't forget snow!! North of the city gets heaps of it usually.

I have often left my house in AJax and driven north toward Newmarket and hit heavy snow up there. Just something to think about? Hence why buying is a bad idea until you know the area, there are to many what ifs to make a $$$ commitment soley on the off the cuff remarks on a forum.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Ya thanks guys renting might be a good investment for the first year then???
Old Jul 20th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GB1234
Ya thanks guys renting might be a good investment for the first year then???
I would definitely start off renting. Consider short-term, rented, furnished accommodation month-to-month until you find your feet, explore different neighbourhoods and find something more permanent.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Marylandned, that would be ideal but for a family of kids schools etc. they are also the reason I need to choose wisely good schools etc for a family in a strange land. I will be ok it's the rest of the family that I'm concerned about.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 1:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GB1234
Does any one know any hill areas in toronto and environs???
Richmond Hill has a hill. Summerhill has a hill. There's a big hill on highway 10 between Brampton and Caledon. Do you want to be like the folks who live on the hill?
Old Jul 21st 2013, 2:36 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
S'alright. It's a bilingual country.
Outside the Federal government it isn't, on the whole.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 2:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Outside the Federal government it isn't, on the whole.
Hon, I know all about it. Souvy knows all about it. Nous avons eu des decennies de cela.

You give us enough grief with your not liking the gays and the blacks and the drinkers and all. There's no need to get into dissing the francophones.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 2:57 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hon, I know all about it. Souvy knows all about it. Nous avons eu des decennies de cela.

You give us enough grief with your not liking the gays and the blacks and the drinkers and all. There's no need to get into dissing the francophones.
Grief?

You must be a sensitive soul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.