Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living with a Canadian partner

Living with a Canadian partner

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:27 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living with a Canadian partner

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm in the process of sponsoring my partner/girlfriend through immigration. We started on this in May 2005 and expect to have a decision by Christmas of this year. It's certainly possible but the criteria are quite stringent and the process seems interminable.
Surely by now you count as common-law, not just BF/GF?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Surely by now you count as common-law, not just BF/GF?
Oh yes, you have to prove common law status (immigration common law not provincial common law), that involves lots of paper for us because I'm married to someone else. It's an expensive business because, of course, the person being sponsored can't work in Canada during the process and cannot leave to work elsewhere as that would invalidate the common law status. Frankly, if it weren't for having a disabled child and needing OHIP for her, I'd say "**** it" and move to the US or Australia rather than deal with the bureaucracy.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by jandro
I'm not sure what happens if you split up once you arrive. I do know that the sponsor is supposed to be financially responsible for the sponsored person for three years to prevent them from leaning on the government for assistance. It's turned out otherwise in my case with her supporting me whilst I am unemployed.
Even if you split up, the sponsor is financially responsible for the immigrant/PR for the 3 year term. What this means in reality is that if the PR claims any social assistance, the federal government claims it back from the sponsor's earnings.

I don't actually know this from experience, though.