Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Burlington ON 3 months - Happy to help others coming over

Living in Burlington ON 3 months - Happy to help others coming over

Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Burlington ON 3 months - Happy to help others coming over

Originally Posted by Shed Roof
Have been following this thread with interest as my job is moving from london to toronto imminently so we (me, wife and kids 11/10) are looking at areas to live, and Oakville and Burlington are the two that keep coming up. We would look to rent at first, but seems like kids move to schools nearest the house. Do you find a school first and then a rental house, hoping that you can buy one near by eventually, or can you stay at the same school? Apologies if this should have been a new topic, but seems like you all are local to the area and can provide local knowledge.
It depends on whether you have a particular school that you really want your kids to go to. If you do then you need to find a rental (and ultimately buy) within that school's borders. If you end up buying just outside the zone and your kids are already established at the school then they may allow them to stay there - depending on enrollment. This was probably the thing that worried me the most when we came over too - I didn't want the kids to have to move schools twice but it worked out for us, as we bought in the same school district as we rented in. If you check out the Halton District School Board site www.hdsb.ca you can enter an address and it will tell you which schools serve that house. You can also get school boundary maps from the site. Good luck!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Shed Roof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 27mich71
Hi Shed Roof

We are flying out to Toronto on Monday after a long 4 years and are renting in Burlington. I rang the school board and they told me waht shcool the children will be going too. Mine are 9 and 11 years (both girls).

Good luck, you never know they might end up going to the same school!!!
Thanks for the info, good luck with the move and will keep my eyes open for you if we end up close by!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

Confirmed in the wee small hours this morning (UK time) - we have secured a rental in Burlington ... after months of not know quite where we will be we have now sorted it and will be joining folk on this thread in hopefully sunny Burlington soon! (next month!)
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:31 am
Just Joined

JayDizla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, new member so some of this may sound silly. Me and my girlfriend both received our IEC visas and were looking to move to Oakville and stay with some friends that were putting us up for several weeks. This would have help us find our feet. Unfortunatly that plan has fallen through and we are struggling to find somewhere to live. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on short term places to live in and around the Burlington area? I have been looking for furnished apartments for a while but most people are looking for a 12 month lease and thats something I cant guarantee. Any information or tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us are hoping to meet up at the Poacher, Burlington on 20th July (Wednesday). It's in the meet-up Calendar, so please feel free to attend.. the more the merrier.

Drinks and a natter after work, just like blighty.

Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Living in Burlington ON 3 months - Happy to help others coming over

Hows everyone getting on in Burlington/oakville?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 12:42 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Hows everyone getting on in Burlington/oakville?
Still here, Thanking god that the winter has been kind to us so far.