Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

Originally Posted by mnicona
I suppose it's how you value the term opinion then I see opinion as not simply complaining about something, especially when a poster is looking for 'constructive' advice....my opinion would be more balanced....i.e. not to simply complain - which obviously provides little value to the OP.

I assumed that's what a 'rant and rave' forum is all about (which would go down well with most of us Brits)
I see no evidence that the OP wanted constructive advice, given his current educational endeavors I assume he can churn out new pro-active conciousness raising paradigms with the best of them. Finding something useless or irrelevant is not the same as complaining, what's your opinion of Lada cars? What's your view on gluten free banana bread?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

mnicona will become famous soon enoughmnicona will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
I see no evidence that the OP wanted constructive advice, given his current educational endeavors I assume he can churn out new pro-active conciousness raising paradigms with the best of them. Finding something useless or irrelevant is not the same as complaining, what's your opinion of Lada cars? What's your view on gluten free banana bread?
Wow, I guess all that forum posters want then is useless discussion and complaints....my mistake for assuming too much value can be gained from places such as this! Finding something useless and irrelevant is fine when backed up by 'useful' rationale. Simply stating that Linked In and Facebook is for twats etc isn't useful advice or opinion in my eyes....but we'll agree to disagree then
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see somebody get's the actual point of this original discussion! It's not about whether it works for you or not (like one intelligent poster pointed out...a hotdog seller won't benefit from Linked In)....from my perspective it's simply about stating that Linked In can be an extremely 'viable' and powerful tool when used appropriately and certainly offers additional options to doing business. It DOESN'T replace traditional methods of building relationships....the whole point is about having useful options in today's digital age. So again, why complain about something that you simply don't have a need for in the first place....does that really warrant giving negative feedback about it...no I don't think so. Instead simply acknowledge that Linked In provides no value to you but can be a powerful tool for others.

For the poster that said it adds no value to them and after logging in after a year noticing that their details were outdated....are you for real
? Does that not just state the obvious then! If you don't use it or even keep up to date, and leverage it on a daily basis....then it's obviously never going to add any value! If I don't log in to my email for a year, then I won't get any messages from people... in which case does that make email an ineffective tool and therefore I should start providing my negative feedback to people stating that email is a waste of time as nobody ever emails me (even though I don't log in or check it). Get serious
I bet 99.99% of TwatIn registered users do exactly that. At best it's simply a corporate directory giving a snapshot of users when sign up when they see an invite from someone they know.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I guess all that forum posters want then is useless discussion and complaints
That's the essence of online media, is it not? Somewhere to blabber when not busy. A suitable medium for selling aspirational consumer durables.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:50 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I guess all that forum posters want then is useless discussion and complaints....my mistake for assuming too much value can be gained from places such as this! Finding something useless and irrelevant is fine when backed up by 'useful' rationale. Simply stating that Linked In and Facebook is for twats etc isn't useful advice or opinion in my eyes....but we'll agree to disagree then
More accurately: TwatIn is for corporate twats who like to boast on the internet about their cv's and Twatbook is for narcissistic twats who think people are interested in the twatish things they get up to at home.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I bet 99.99% of TwatIn registered users do exactly that. At best it's simply a corporate directory giving a snapshot of users when sign up when they see an invite from someone they know.
Obviously don't follow much about online Trends then do you! The OP original link shows how fast and popular sites like Linked In are growing in Canada. They're also hugely popular in the UK, and Asia...let alone the US. The activity on the site is constant (profile updates, discussions, job requests/posts, group, presentation sharing, travel meet ups, conference summaries etc)... so I fail to see how 99.99% of users are simply static and using as a directory! Again, if you don't use it, how can you possibly comment???
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's the essence of online media, is it not? Somewhere to blabber when not busy. A suitable medium for selling aspirational consumer durables.
Sure
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

More accurately: TwatIn is for corporate twats who like to boast on the internet about their cv's and Twatbook is for narcissistic twats who think people are interested in the twatish things they get up to at home.
So what's that leave BE.com as then if someone like you is posting utter crap like this. If Linked In and Facebook is too crap for you, then it means BE is at the bottom of the food chain I suppose.

You have nothing valid or useful to add, so it begs me to believe you have too much time on your hands, and minimal friends to add to facebook or a poor career to even need to leverage a site such as Linked In.

So, is my comment useful here, or am I simply being a twat and complaining....and once again we open the doors for a typical Brit discussion!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:04 pm

Obviously don't follow much about online Trends then do you! The OP original link shows how fast and popular sites like Linked In are growing in Canada. They're also hugely popular in the UK, and Asia...let alone the US. The activity on the site is constant (profile updates, discussions, job requests/posts, group, presentation sharing, travel meet ups, conference summaries etc)... so I fail to see how 99.99% of users are simply static and using as a directory! Again, if you don't use it, how can you possibly comment???
It's actually very easy to comment. But you misunderstand, I did use it and I can say for a fact that it's full of twats.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

minimal friends to add to facebook or a poor career to even need to leverage a site such as Linked In.
Does not really follow. I don't use facebook, don't care to an are never likley too. Have plenty of friends and say everything I have to say to them when I see them. Don't see the point in posting everything I do or bragging on the internet.

Linked in or the like was never necessary in my past or present career, I for one seemed to do just fine.

Just because one does not use online media for business is not particularly a reflection on them or their career. Some industries don't use this sort of thing at all and some don't need to.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:10 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see somebody get's the actual point of this original discussion!
It does somewhat spoil my joke if I have to tell you that my posts were entirely facetious. Most posters here understood that... if you didn't, perhaps you ought to question whether you should be taking everything you see on the internet at face value...?

If you don't use it or even keep up to date, and leverage it on a daily basis....then it's obviously never going to add any value!
Be serious... what the hell does that mean? Do you speak like that in real life?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

It's actually very easy to comment. But you misunderstand, I did use it and I can say for a fact that it's full of twats.
So you're saying that there are basically 500 million 'active' twats using facebook then.... as well as over 50 million 'active' twats using Linked In!

You think very highly of yourself I see.

Interesting and 'intelligent' assessment!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
It does somewhat spoil my joke if I have to tell you that my posts were entirely facetious. Most posters here understood that... if you didn't, perhaps you ought to question whether you should be taking everything you see on the internet at face value...?

Be serious... what the hell does that mean? Do you speak like that in real life?
Yes of course, but to use your failed wit was an example of the unintelligent use of forums!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Also, if your quoted (in red) comment is too hard for you to understand I'm not surprised Linked In adds no value to you!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:25 pm

Also, if your quoted (in red) comment is too hard for you to understand I'm not surprised Linked In adds no value to you!
It's not hard to understand, it is however something a corporate twat would say. I hear power point business language all the time - usually from twats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.