Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LinkedIn: Useful tool, internet fad, or

Originally Posted by Souvy
I now understand why boardroom bingo was invented.
You want gibberish, I bring you big league gibberish:

http://www.internetviz.com/b2bsmblog...ersonal-touch/

You will note that content maven uses all online means of self-promotion equally, I expect she tweets news of updates to her lkedin status:

"Meryl K. Evans is senior editor at InternetVIZ and the content maven behind the Connected Digest, B2B Social Media Digest and Professional Services Journal. Follow her on Twitter @merylkevans, LinkedIn or on Facebook."
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mnicona
And that's great that you have the luxury to meet face to face. Personally I need to build up connections abroad, I use Linked In to help do this then I connect through the phone or skype etc. Face to face can then be done via video conference if you so require. Unless you have an endless budget to jet set around the globe, your not telling me that all business is created face to face....that's extremely naive!
And it is extremely naive to assume that all businesses require sites such as LinkedIn. The local man that I pass everday selling sausages in a bread roll is unlikely to increase his revenue with LinkedIn, nor are hairdressers, housecleaners, car mechanics etc.

Not everyone wishes to paint a picture of themselves as a globetrotting Gordon Gecko. For those that do, superficial contacts are likely to suffice, for others being approached by such a person is guaranteed to ensure the two never have a relationship.

I never said that such sites don`t have uses, just that I am the type that would achieve very little by using it.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:36 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore the mockers.

As a social media strategist, no doubt you are keen to add value to your clients by leveraging from relationships with existing customers. It's clear to me that by focussing on win-win scenarios, your key performance indicators such as customer satisfaction will hit top-quartile targets, resulting in enhanced marketplace presence, generating new streams of awareness and increasing potential market share. In relationship-based sectors, such as B2B networking, all connectivity tools add value, whether those tools are technology-based services, such as LinkedIn, or more traditional human interface scenarios. As part of a complete and comprehensive relationship management strategy, a truly innovative strategist will actively seek and explore the potentiality of new resources which enable profile placement across a global market and which break down the barriers to effective macro and micro communication.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:11 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Ignore the mockers.

As a social media strategist, no doubt you are keen to add value to your clients by leveraging from relationships with existing customers. It's clear to me that by focussing on win-win scenarios, your key performance indicators such as customer satisfaction will hit top-quartile targets, resulting in enhanced marketplace presence, generating new streams of awareness and increasing potential market share. In relationship-based sectors, such as B2B networking, all connectivity tools add value, whether those tools are technology-based services, such as LinkedIn, or more traditional human interface scenarios. As part of a complete and comprehensive relationship management strategy, a truly innovative strategist will actively seek and explore the potentiality of new resources which enable profile placement across a global market and which break down the barriers to effective macro and micro communication.
can I hire you to write my next business plan? How do I connect with you to leverage your expertise - are you on LinkedIn?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore the mockers.

Or you could pick up the phone and give 'em a call.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:18 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Or you could pick up the phone and give 'em a call.
That's just so last century. You'll be pushing the envelope next.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You want gibberish, I bring you big league gibberish:

http://www.internetviz.com/b2bsmblog...ersonal-touch/

You will note that content maven uses all online means of self-promotion equally, I expect she tweets news of updates to her lkedin status:

"Meryl K. Evans is senior editor at InternetVIZ and the content maven behind the Connected Digest, B2B Social Media Digest and Professional Services Journal. Follow her on Twitter @merylkevans, LinkedIn or on Facebook."
Bah, it's not Viz on the internet.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Bah, it's not Viz on the internet.
Could be a fat slag though. You can't trust them internet images.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:41 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
can I hire you to write my next business plan? How do I connect with you to leverage your expertise - are you on LinkedIn?
As was outlined in my assertion above, there are several methods of connectivity available to potential partners when seeking to establish B2B or P2P relationships; one may employ technology-based tools (such as LinkedIn) which can be effective when operating at the periphery of the market, for example when determining initial compatibility analysis; or alternatively, when the expeditious pursuit of a particular goal is required, perhaps a more effective strategy may involve reverting to traditional human interface opportunity. An astute strategist will ensure that an situation-appropriate interface venue is selected, and that sufficient external stimuli are readily available on-tap to enhance the relationship-building exercise.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
That's just so last century. You'll be pushing the envelope next.
Always pushing the envelope!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:46 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

As was outlined in my assertion above, there are several methods of connectivity available to potential partners when seeking to establish B2B or P2P relationships; one may employ technology-based tools (such as LinkedIn) which can be effective when operating at the periphery of the market, for example when determining initial compatibility analysis; or alternatively, when the expeditious pursuit of a particular goal is required, perhaps a more effective strategy may involve reverting to traditional human interface opportunity. An astute strategist will ensure that an situation-appropriate interface venue is selected, and that sufficient external stimuli are readily available on-tap to enhance the relationship-building exercise.
I don't know whether to be more scared that you can write like that, or that I can almost understand you when you do. I think what you're saying is that you can talk to people on teh internetz, or you can talk to them in real life, preferably over a beer.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

mnicona will become famous soon enoughmnicona will become famous soon enough

Glad to see somebody get's the actual point of this original discussion! It's not about whether it works for you or not (like one intelligent poster pointed out...a hotdog seller won't benefit from Linked In)....from my perspective it's simply about stating that Linked In can be an extremely 'viable' and powerful tool when used appropriately and certainly offers additional options to doing business. It DOESN'T replace traditional methods of building relationships....the whole point is about having useful options in today's digital age. So again, why complain about something that you simply don't have a need for in the first place....does that really warrant giving negative feedback about it...no I don't think so. Instead simply acknowledge that Linked In provides no value to you but can be a powerful tool for others.

For the poster that said it adds no value to them and after logging in after a year noticing that their details were outdated....are you for real? Does that not just state the obvious then! If you don't use it or even keep up to date, and leverage it on a daily basis....then it's obviously never going to add any value! If I don't log in to my email for a year, then I won't get any messages from people... in which case does that make email an ineffective tool and therefore I should start providing my negative feedback to people stating that email is a waste of time as nobody ever emails me (even though I don't log in or check it). Get serious
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by mnicona
why complain about something that you simply don't have a need for in the first place....
The thread header sought opinions on the product. I've seen it, I have an opinion. I refreshed that opinion by looking at it in the course of the thread. It's not relevant to me in the course of business, neither's Coronation Street but I might have an opinion on that also. Header question asked and answered, that's what threads are for.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
The thread header sought opinions on the product. I've seen it, I have an opinion. I refreshed that opinion by looking at it in the course of the thread. It's not relevant to me in the course of business, neither's Coronation Street but I might have an opinion on that also. Header question asked and answered, that's what threads are for.
I suppose it's how you value the term opinion then I see opinion as not simply complaining about something, especially when a poster is looking for 'constructive' advice....my opinion would be more balanced....i.e. not to simply complain - which obviously provides little value to the OP.

I assumed that's what a 'rant and rave' forum is all about (which would go down well with most of us Brits)
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And it is extremely naive to assume that all businesses require sites such as LinkedIn. The local man that I pass everday selling sausages in a bread roll is unlikely to increase his revenue with LinkedIn, nor are hairdressers, housecleaners, car mechanics etc.

Not everyone wishes to paint a picture of themselves as a globetrotting Gordon Gecko. For those that do, superficial contacts are likely to suffice, for others being approached by such a person is guaranteed to ensure the two never have a relationship.

I never said that such sites don`t have uses, just that I am the type that would achieve very little by using it.

Well, looking back at your comments, I don't see any balanced opinions here. Simply complaints and negativity towards online media

why does everyone in Canada require some form of online connection? Totally bizarre if you ask me.

I stand by my initial comments about LinkedIn which were, essentially, I find it amazing that someone would rather trust any issue to someone met online than they would through a meeting in person.

My profession requires more personal contact and does not require superficial "friendships" as your's appears to require.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.