Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Line 219 - moving expenses

Line 219 - moving expenses

Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

rpurdie will become famous soon enoughrpurdie will become famous soon enough
Default Line 219 - moving expenses

I'm reading that relocation expenses in moving to Canada can be tax deductible under some circumstances:

Provided you met all conditions and requirements (read "Who can
claim moving expenses?"), you can claim eligible expenses for a
move to Canada if you are a full-time student (including a
co-operative student), or a factual or deemed resident.

Has anyone here ever managed to claim those deduction? From reading it, the hurdle that a lot of immigrants will fall down on is that they are not residents at the point of leaving UK.

I am British, but I was deemed a Canadian resident for tax purposes in 2006. My wife is a Canadian citizen and was last a resident in 2006 so not sure if that makes any difference?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:12 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line 219 - moving expenses

Originally Posted by rpurdie
I'm reading that relocation expenses in moving to Canada can be tax deductible under some circumstances:

Provided you met all conditions and requirements (read "Who can
claim moving expenses?"), you can claim eligible expenses for a
move to Canada if you are a full-time student (including a
co-operative student), or a factual or deemed resident.

Has anyone here ever managed to claim those deduction? From reading it, the hurdle that a lot of immigrants will fall down on is that they are not residents at the point of leaving UK.

I am British, but I was deemed a Canadian resident for tax purposes in 2006. My wife is a Canadian citizen and was last a resident in 2006 so not sure if that makes any difference?
Wrong ( at least in my case ). Moving to Canada is not deductible. Moving within Canada for work etc when tax resident is.

I was here as a tax resident when my wife and family followed 6 months later. I was not able to claim. YMMV.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

rpurdie will become famous soon enoughrpurdie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Line 219 - moving expenses

Thanks Paul.