Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lighten up, guys & gals!!

Lighten up, guys & gals!!

Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:54 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lighten up, guys & gals!!

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Exactly. None of us have any more right than anyone else. We're all immigrants (except for us sponsoring spouses!). So how come that Burmonk nonsense was tolerated for so long by so many?
Sorry Biiiiink I have to ask - what is Burmonk? Jen
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenwren
Sorry Biiiiink I have to ask - what is Burmonk? Jen
Hi Jen,

It's someone's username. I think the thread is called "Where are the *real* workers" - maybe on page 2 now, it might have dropped off the front page. Gist of it was, s/he didn't think certain professions were worthy of immigrating but was bringing nothing else to Canada himself other than a bunch of money which I assume was not attained on merit. Got very rude with Glaswegian, and then feigned mock offense whilst making an attempt to insult me

I think the thread was misconstrued and championed as a bit of an "underdog" thread, when in actual fact if you read his list of "worthy" trades, they're pretty much all professional. It was a snipe at a targetted group of recent contributors with themselves or family in these "unworthy" professions, nothing more.

But the upside is, I found the "ignore" button so it wasn't all a total waste of time

Biiiiink
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

burmonk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scouse
There seems to be a bit of negativity around at the moment after the (temporary?) departure of Glaswegian.

I can understand and also relate to some of the things which he has said.

I do believe, though, that most of the people who post on this forum try to keep within the spirit of the thing, and don't try and get all philosophical and
heavy handed about it. OK, some of the threads may be a bit infantile. I mean, anybody who can post 'Please!! Tell me this isn't true!!' must be a bit questionable.

However, I have always believed that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. ( and before somebody says "Who are you calling a fly?" - I'm sorry, really!!).

We are all trying to learn - whether it be about Canada as a country, or Canadians as people. I believe we all have something to offer each other.

Perhaps it is just me, but I prefer a light-hearted approach any day

Best wishes to all

Scouse
Absolutely agree with you!. It is just a pity that personal rudeness is allowed on this forum. I was subjected to this by Bink (?) from Glasgow for some time. My reluctance to reply was because of respect for this forum which provides some good and helpful information for prospective 'movers' to canada. It is probably wise not to reply to rudeness as this may cause upset more so when a person 'posting' an issue may be unwell, as I suspect in the case mentioned. Lets hope that the moderators can become more involved.

Good luck
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:51 am
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by burmonk1
Absolutely agree with you!. It is just a pity that personal rudeness is allowed on this forum. I was subjected to this by Bink (?) from Glasgow for some time. My reluctance to reply was because of respect for this forum which provides some good and helpful information for prospective 'movers' to canada. It is probably wise not to reply to rudeness as this may cause upset more so when a person 'posting' an issue may be unwell, as I suspect in the case mentioned. Lets hope that the moderators can become more involved.

Good luck

DUDES!
Its a forum for pete's sake!!!! There are worse things to worry about, like cancer, seriously.
So, let's all go and have a virtual strawberry daquiri!!!!!!! Or beer...
Fluffy
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:58 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Hi Jen,

It's someone's username.

But the upside is, I found the "ignore" button so it wasn't all a total waste of time

Biiiiink
Hi Biiiiink

Aaah it all becomes clear now ...... I even did a search on the name on the online dictionary (duh ).

At least there was an upside to it all ... there usually is if you look hard enough ...

Jen
Old Mar 31st 2005, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seacreature
I don't like the way some members of this forum seem to have appointed themselves as 'forum police' and jump on new members or anyone who doesn't conform with their view of the world. I myself was attacked for pissing off 'regular members'. This isn't a club and your opinion isn't more valid the longer you contribute to the forum.
People have different experiences, some appear to come with a huge wad of cash, in which case it'll be far easier for them to settle in Canada as they won't have the urgent need to find work to pay the bills. Others are highly qualified with internationally transferable qualifications, they too will have a much easier time than others. Others come here from middlin' jobs and with modest savings, they have no less right to be here than anyone else and are obviously going to complain more than someone with 200K sat in the bank.
People should be more aware that everyone's circumstances are different
I couldnt agree with you more seacreature, i dont look at it as negative, just someones honest opinion, so what if someone doesnt like things in canada, or england for that matter, its personal preference and peiople on a forum like this should be able to say what they think without others being over sensitive, and acting like americans,,,lol
Old Mar 31st 2005, 6:31 am
John Thom Don

Hi all,

I was chuffed to bits with the first few posts on this thread. Ok, I don't post alot by I read nearly everything and I do think the forum was getting very negative. But then, just to spoil it, even this thread descends into a personal bickering session between postees!

To get things straight, I haven't lived in Canada yet and I am happy to listen to all experiences, but even if I had I wouldn't start telling anyone that their opinions/experience wasn't valid/correct because they didn't match mine.

Hmmmppphhhh

John

Old Mar 31st 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

There must be something wrong with me then because I think the forum livens up nicely once there's a controversial poster or two lurking around. That doesn't mean that anyone should be open to insults but this is a forum that is about the lifestyle of Canada and it's going to have the negative stuff along with the positive and it's going to get really boring if we all agree with each other. We don't really want complete and total agreement do we?
Old Mar 31st 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepnek
There must be something wrong with me then because I think the forum livens up nicely once there's a controversial poster or two lurking around. That doesn't mean that anyone should be open to insults but this is a forum that is about the lifestyle of Canada and it's going to have the negative stuff along with the positive and it's going to get really boring if we all agree with each other. We don't really want complete and total agreement do we?
HERE HERE
Old Mar 31st 2005, 5:53 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

No, Stepnek, nothing wrong at all. I enjoy a good 'discussion' as much as anybody, but there is a big difference between negative and 'nasty.'

I'm sure that we are all old enough and (certainly in my case) ugly enough to fight our own battles, and each and every one of us is entitled to our own opinion. I just think it is wrong to attack another contributor on a personal level just because our views differ.

Scouse
Old Mar 31st 2005, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse
No, Stepnek, nothing wrong at all. I enjoy a good 'discussion' as much as anybody, but there is a big difference between negative and 'nasty.'

I'm sure that we are all old enough and (certainly in my case) ugly enough to fight our own battles, and each and every one of us is entitled to our own opinion. I just think it is wrong to attack another contributor on a personal level just because our views differ.

Scouse
Indeed. But maybe your post is a good example of some of the problems here. I stated that I thought controversy and healthy argument was good but not an excuse for insults. Your post implies (or I could read it that way) that I thought nasty was acceptable which clearly it isn't. The fact is we all express a view but if we don't get the wording right then someone reads it wrong and sometimes all hell lets loose! On the other hand it does make it kinda interesting don't you think?

The truth is I never truly venture out and say something too drastic because there's always someone that can potentially take offence here. Once or twice I've defended the actions of a certain poster only to find that I get a personal message from someone asking how I could do such a thing?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:02 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fluffy Boogie
DUDES!
Its a forum for pete's sake!!!! There are worse things to worry about, like cancer, seriously.
So, let's all go and have a virtual strawberry daquiri!!!!!!! Or beer...
Fluffy
Fluffy, you are scaring me now!! :scared: Strawberry daquiris' yet!

Perhaps I had better rethink this whole Canadian deal!!

Best wishes

Scouse
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:11 pm
Gone Walkabout

[QUOTE=stepnek]
Indeed. But maybe your post is a good example of some of the problems here. Your post implies (or I could read it that way) that I thought nasty was acceptable which clearly it isn't.

You are quite right, of course, and I apologise unreservedly for any misunderstanding.

Respect and best wishes

Scouse
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:59 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Scouse]
Indeed. But maybe your post is a good example of some of the problems here. Your post implies (or I could read it that way) that I thought nasty was acceptable which clearly it isn't.

You are quite right, of course, and I apologise unreservedly for any misunderstanding.

Respect and best wishes

Scouse

Harmony at last
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Scouse]

Respect and best wishes

Scouse
No apology required.

Of course if you really want to see an argument then a quick trip to the "Take it outside" forum is the place to visit. Too scary for me though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.