Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Light at the end of the tunnel for IT guys ...

Wikiposts

Light at the end of the tunnel for IT guys ...

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:02 am
Glaswegian

Default Light at the end of the tunnel for IT guys ...

For any IT people weathering the crappy job market, I thought I'd let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel ...

My timeline ...
Q3 2001 - landed in Canada
Q1 2002 - got first job
Q2 2003 - got laid off from first job
Q3 2003 - offered unadvertised 2nd job, with another advertised job offer on the table
Q4 2004 - thought about moving to GTA, cast bread upon the waters (ie.sent my resume to employers)
Q1 2005 - employers are now coming to me asking if I'm interested in jobs they have in Calgary - aparently IT in the west is now booming

There is hope ... you just gotta work at it

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:16 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Light at the end of the tunnel for IT guys ...

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
For any IT people weathering the crappy job market, I thought I'd let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel ...

My timeline ...
Q3 2001 - landed in Canada
Q1 2002 - got first job
Q2 2003 - got laid off from first job
Q3 2003 - offered unadvertised 2nd job, with another advertised job offer on the table
Q4 2004 - thought about moving to GTA, cast bread upon the waters (ie.sent my resume to employers)
Q1 2005 - employers are now coming to me asking if I'm interested in jobs they have in Calgary - aparently IT in the west is now booming

There is hope ... you just gotta work at it
Best thing I've heard all week, especially now I've started filling in all the paperwork

Sadly I can't give karma, as I have to spread it round some more
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:24 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by SirTainly
Sadly I can't give karma, as I have to spread it round some more
If you're spreading anything around, let it be Marmite

Things are really starting to look up ... just arranged an interview ... the director just happens to be in town ... after a rocky start, this week is getting better

Guess it means I can chuck my Idiots Guide to Repairing Elevators in the trash

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Things are really starting to look up ... just arranged an interview ... the director just happens to be in town ... after a rocky start, this week is getting better

And here I would have thought it would have been your idiots guide to repairing Macs'?......decided to keep it just in case did you?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:28 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

If I'd have known you wanted Marmite I could have dropped some by the other week !

on a tangent, you know the french have a saying about spreading things around...

"Culture is like jam, the less you have the more you spread it around"
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:30 am
The Green Engine

Originally Posted by willmore
And here I would have thought it would have been your idiots guide to repairing Macs'?......decided to keep it just in case did you?
hmm why would you make an idiot's guide to that..becuase only an idiot would buy a Mac ??

Right that's it here from me now, no more Mac references

btw another one in the office failed yesterday..that's 3 failures on 3 G5s.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:30 am
Glaswegian

"Culture is like jam, the less you have the more you spread it around"
Which is of course the opposite to their approach to deodorant

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:31 am
Glaswegian

Good approach ... don't encourage her ....

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hmm why would you make an idiot's guide to that..becuase only an idiot would buy a Mac ??

btw another one in the office failed yesterday..that's 3 failures on 3 G5s.
If I were you, I would tread very softly and carry a "big stick"......I would have thought that any reputable computer engineer.....would be able to appreciate the finer points of a Mac......

Macs' are very sensitive and have souls.....if they know you don't appreciate them....they put a curse on you.....
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:32 am
The Green Engine

Good approach ... don't encourage her ....
I've had my fun with the guys here at work using Macs
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:33 am
The Green Engine

reputable computer engineer..
It's more fun to be disreputable...
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:35 am
Glaswegian

I've had my fun with the guys here at work using Macs
They make pretty coloured doorstops or oversized paperweights ...

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's more fun to be disreputable...
So I can gather from your comments......think we need to have a little chat......
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:36 am
Glaswegian

So I can gather from your comments......think we need to have a little chat......
Oh oh ... time for castration anxiety ...

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:37 am
The Green Engine

oversized paperweights ...
After my visit I have a hockey puck for this purpose

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.