Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

LHR to YYZ travel experiences - testing, travel, vaccination proof etc.

LHR to YYZ travel experiences - testing, travel, vaccination proof etc.

Old Aug 27th 2021, 1:06 pm
ACF
Just Joined

ACF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LHR to YYZ travel experiences - testing, travel, vaccination proof etc.

Originally Posted by la3morri
We are flying back on Sunday - missing the new "green light" status by one day! You might want to check - I don't think that you will need to get tested on your return to the UK since the green light starts on Monday. In any event, I've used Randox in the UK and found them to be efficient and a good price - I think 43 pounds for each test.

I am using Shoppers in London (Ontario) - 2 days before the flight. Frustratingly, all of the places that are recommended on Air Canada's website are in the Toronto region. It seems you can't do an antigen test 3 days before. I hope it works, and if not I will be calling Switch on the day of travel! Apparently kids don't need to be tested at this point… but I decided to get them done as well. Finding information in bits and pieces on different websites does not always fill me with confidence.
Thanks - yes the new green list status is great. Sorry you are missing it by a day! Unless I am misreading the rules we still need a D2 test however so will check out Randox.

Which Shoppers are you using? We are also in London Ont (!!!) so might check that out so we can avoid testing on the day...
Old Aug 27th 2021, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

la3morri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LHR to YYZ travel experiences - testing, travel, vaccination proof etc.

Sent you a private message
Old Aug 29th 2021, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la3morri
We are flying back on Sunday - missing the new "green light" status by one day! You might want to check - I don't think that you will need to get tested on your return to the UK since the green light starts on Monday. In any event, I've used Randox in the UK and found them to be efficient and a good price - I think 43 pounds for each test.

I am using Shoppers in London (Ontario) - 2 days before the flight. Frustratingly, all of the places that are recommended on Air Canada's website are in the Toronto region. It seems you can't do an antigen test 3 days before. I hope it works, and if not I will be calling Switch on the day of travel! Apparently kids don't need to be tested at this point… but I decided to get them done as well. Finding information in bits and pieces on different websites does not always fill me with confidence.
A day 2 test is still required in the UK when arriving from green list countries.
Old Aug 29th 2021, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACF
I have similarly low expectations of YYZ but in 40+ years of flying via that airport our experience this time was a new low-water mark I am afraid...
Even if YYZ Toronto is the final destination, wouldn't it make more sense to fly via Montreal or another Canadian city? I honestly don't fancy waiting one or two hours on the plane and another two hours at immigration for somebody to have their fun with tests and other bureaucracy.

Are connecting flights permitted when coming into Canada these days? Or does one have to spend 14 days in one location, even if quarantine is exempt for the vaccinated.

These negative reports at arrival only seem to concern YYZ. Thus, I'd fly via Montreal and connect to Toronto or even Calgary, spend a night there, and then fly to Toronto. Costs a bit, but is worth it. Or is this not possible?

Last edited by OrangeMango; Aug 29th 2021 at 9:11 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2021, 10:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Even if YYZ Toronto is the final destination, wouldn't it make more sense to fly via Montreal or another Canadian city? I honestly don't fancy waiting one or two hours on the plane and another two hours at immigration for somebody to have their fun with tests and other bureaucracy.

Are connecting flights permitted when coming into Canada these days? Or does one have to spend 14 days in one location, even if quarantine is exempt for the vaccinated.

These negative reports at arrival only seem to concern YYZ. Thus, I'd fly via Montreal and connect to Toronto or even Calgary, spend a night there, and then fly to Toronto. Costs a bit, but is worth it. Or is this not possible?
I’m booking travel to the UK from St John’s next week for later in September (now Canada is on the UK green list). In the absence of the direct yyt-lhr flight (put on hold by the 737max grounding, now killed by Covid) I’d ordinarily travel via yyz as more options / flexibility. But reading this thread had only confirmed my thoughts that routing via Montreal is the Byers option.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 1:16 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I’m booking travel to the UK from St John’s next week for later in September (now Canada is on the UK green list). In the absence of the direct yyt-lhr flight (put on hold by the 737max grounding, now killed by Covid) I’d ordinarily travel via yyz as more options / flexibility. But reading this thread had only confirmed my thoughts that routing via Montreal is the Byers option.
Are there direct flights to Montreal from the UK right now? Last time I looked I couldn't find any.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Are there direct flights to Montreal from the UK right now? Last time I looked I couldn't find any.
AC865 gets into Montreal from LHR pretty regularly and AC864 from YUL to LHR. However the service isn't daily, hence you might have trouble finding it.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 3:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Seems to only run Sunday/Thursday/Tuesday at present: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA864

Old Aug 31st 2021, 1:31 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Seems to only run Sunday/Thursday/Tuesday at present: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA864
that must be it. I hope you get a flight to suit you
Old Aug 31st 2021, 3:37 pm
ACF
Just Joined

ACF is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew YYZ to LHR yesterday. It was broadly fine. We did drive through COVID (antigen) tests via Switch Health at YYZ and received the results within 20 minutes - would recommend this service. YYZ was straightforward and flight was fine. LHR was fine until border control, at which point we spent 2 hours in the "family line" queue...

At both YYZ and LHR no one looked at our COVID-related forms/tests in detail - just a quick glance at one or two docs and a few supplementary questions.

But some people are clearly still having issues because one of the flight attendants said that the flight was fully booked but about 10-12 people could not board because they did not have their docs/tests in order and missed the flight...

Last edited by ACF; Aug 31st 2021 at 3:53 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew from YYZ to LHR in July, under different rules, and antigen tests weren't available at shoppers drug mart then, so I did a PCR test at shoppers ( within the 72 hour window of flying) at a cost of $220

Now I understand ( my hubby is having to do the same trip YYZ to LHR on sept 28 th due to illness of his mum) things may have changed for the better ....

He can now have an antigen test ?
$40 at shoppers drug mart within the GTA?
But, I don't like to leave tests to the last minute, can he still have in done within the 72 hour window of time for departure? I.e. get the test done on Sunday, if he flies out on Tuesday?

Sue

Old Sep 20th 2021, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanmountain
I flew from YYZ to LHR in July, under different rules, and antigen tests weren't available at shoppers drug mart then, so I did a PCR test at shoppers ( within the 72 hour window of flying) at a cost of $220

Now I understand ( my hubby is having to do the same trip YYZ to LHR on sept 28 th due to illness of his mum) things may have changed for the better ....

He can now have an antigen test ?
$40 at shoppers drug mart within the GTA?
But, I don't like to leave tests to the last minute, can he still have in done within the 72 hour window of time for departure? I.e. get the test done on Sunday, if he flies out on Tuesday?

Sue

Thats what we did - we flew a couple of weeks ago and departure tests haven’t changed since then. We had antigen tests done on the Wednesday morning and flew on Thursday afternoon - I would have booked for the Tuesday if it had suited us. That was the last bit of info we needed for our Passenger Locator Form, and it then generated the appropriate code. At Pearson, all they checked was that code and the antigen test form.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou so much for your reply

Sue
Old Sep 20th 2021, 9:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

I flew to LHR via Montreal on Saturday night. Had to get a PCR test in St John’s as no antigen test available locally. Provided proof of negative test and UK passenger locator form at checkin. At LHR I went through e-gates on my UK passport in 10 minutes and wasn’t required to show either proof of negative test or pax locator form.