Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lethbridge...Too good to be true?

Lethbridge...Too good to be true?

Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Avabava is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lethbridge...Too good to be true?

Hi all,

New to this forum but have posted a few times...

Just wondered if any of you lived in or near Lethbridge, Alberta? Is it really as good as it sounds? Granted I have been reading the 'City of Lethbridge' site and it's documents which are obviously going to 'big it up' to some extent.

It seems like just the place we are looking for in Canada, safe, good schools, low cost of living, low taxes, lots of activities etc...

Anyone able to give me any more info good or bad?

Thanks

Rebecca x
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:20 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lethbridge...Too good to be true?

The lethbridgians will be along in a moment. It's a fair sized city and fairly scenic in places, we wouldn't have ruled it out if the job offer was there, but I'm not sure how long we could have coped with the wind.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
...but I'm not sure how long we could have coped with the wind.
Lots of spicy food in Lethbridge then?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:21 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

mmm I would've considered Lethbridge too - shopping is ace, scenery cool, close to pop over the border.

Wind = problem most walk around with Flock Of Seagulls hairdo's!!!!!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
but I'm not sure how long we could have coped with the wind.
Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Wind = problem most walk around with Flock Of Seagulls hairdo's!!!!!
Ah yes Lethbridge the only airport in Canada to use a chain as its wind sock.

When the chain hangs straight down the wind is calm.

Lethbridge is second only to St. John's Newfoundland for number of days were the wind is 40km/hr or more.

St. John's 127.08 days per year.
Lethbridge 115.47 days per year.

Last edited by Steve_P; Feb 24th 2009 at 11:30 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:41 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Lethbridge is second only to St. John's Newfoundland for number of days were the wind is 40km/hr or more.

Yes indeed. You know those idyllic scenes of snow gently falling? Never happens here, it's always going sideways at 100 km/h!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Ah yes Lethbridge the only airport in Canada to use a chain as its wind sock.

When the chain hangs straight down the wind is calm.

LOL...Yep...Calgary is quite windy enough thanks.....!!

Not sure about the "low cost of living"...I guess houses are probably cheaper than Calgary but would guess(happy to be corrected) that food/bills etc are much the same.....

It is a very nice place though....Good luck with whatever you decide
Lisa
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leepee
LOL...Yep...Calgary is quite windy enough thanks.....!
Yep Calgary is up there at 8th place 66.36 day per year with winds 40km/hr or more.

Kelowna has the least at only 2.09 days per year.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:48 am
Just Joined

shilas is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Lethbridge...Too good to be true?

Yep Calgary is up there at 8th place 66.36 day per year with winds 40km/hr or more.

Kelowna has the least at only 2.09 days per year.
Lethbridge is about an hour away from where i live...it is a very nice town, good schools, college and university. Food and shopping are also very good. Obviously I am in Southern Alberta and am a bit bias, but i assist tons of people to move to these areas every year! You will enjoy it!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Lethbridge isn't too good to be true, it has it's moments like any town lol! But yes, it's an excellent town to bring up family in.

I have been here 20 months now, I have had my moments where I have totally hated it, but then again there are lots of things I love about it too, so like anywhere a state of mind has a huge impact on your interpretation of how great somewhere is. When you are feeling homesick, it doesn't matter where you are, the only place you want to be is home!!!

But anyway, I have thought constantly about different moves, but every time I get down o the bare bones of it, the Bridge still comes up above everywhere else for us with young kids, me with Uni, no PST, low cost of living, huge amount of sunshine (even when it's windy) and excellent education system here, along with lots of public amenities and nice people.

The Burton Bunch is regular Bridge poster on here, so she's worth asking her opinion on the Bridge, but I am pretty sure she'll say what I have said.

Sorry if that sounds too good to be true also But I don't know what else to say

Ms M x
Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins

The Burton Bunch is regular Bridge poster on here, so she's worth asking her opinion on the Bridge, but I am pretty sure she'll say what I have said.

Ms M x
Hey I thought that my ear was itchy hahaha

Seriously just agree with Ms M about the town. Have been visiting here for 20 years and have seen loads of changes here and it seems none for the worst.

Lovely city etc etc as Ms M says

Wind - per Mr P yeah it is windy and you learn to be comfortable on some days with bed head but it is useful in the summer when it is really hot and the wind cools you down.

Anything more specific please just ask and am sure that me and the Mistress can help you out
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:38 am
Just Joined

patm841 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bit like walking uphill all day on a flat road
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Avabava is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your quick replies everyone!

Now this wind thing? Generally dislike the wind but having grown up by the seaside here in Dorset I am quite used the gusts we experience. I guess I could live with the windy days if everything else was going good.

Mistress Miggins and Burton Bunch: Hope I will be able to pick your brains on Lethbridge in the future? I actually came across it when I first joined this forum, just so confused as to where the best place to live would be, our first priority has got to be where our new baby can grow up safely and have a great education and outdoors lifestyle which Lethbridge seems to offer? Fiance is a plumber, would there opportunities for work here, ie developments being built needing plumbing or perhaps the opportunity to start own business?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

redneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to all

Heaven for a kitesurfer, can't wait.

Where did you get the wind stats from?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:41 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hey I thought that my ear was itchy hahaha

Seriously just agree with Ms M about the town. Have been visiting here for 20 years and have seen loads of changes here and it seems none for the worst.
Agree with what the others say, lethbridge is a great area for raising kids

I also live in the area, housing areas diff from south, west and north, so you should be-able to find what you are looking for in house style.
I know a few companys in the area that are taking on plumbers, feel free to message me with any questions

The canadian mom's are awesome, don't know if i would of settled so quick without them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.