Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leeds Expo Saturday 22nd

Leeds Expo Saturday 22nd

Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future
Default Leeds Expo Saturday 22nd

Thinking of going to the Leeds expo on Saturday, £15 per ticket seems a bit steep Anyone out there with some freebies or discounted tickets available?

Cheers
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

chrishoward99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leeds Expo Saturday 22nd

Originally Posted by guccismith
Thinking of going to the Leeds expo on Saturday, £15 per ticket seems a bit steep Anyone out there with some freebies or discounted tickets available?

Cheers
i went last year and it was a complete waste of time. save your money!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Jen246 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to the same one earlier in the year and my OH got a job we are hopefully going out to Calgary Feb 09 We're going again this time to look at the logistics i.e removals etc. I would say it was well worth going
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

StefkeUK is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jen246
I went to the same one earlier in the year and my OH got a job we are hopefully going out to Calgary Feb 09 We're going again this time to look at the logistics i.e removals etc. I would say it was well worth going
Hello,

That's a good news. We are going aswell (probably on sunday).

What can we except ? in which area has your husband found a job ? (I'm an accountant).
Aslo do yoy know if one day might be busier than another ?

Thanks and congrats for the futur move.

Stefke
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future

Thanks for your responses folks.

That's the difficulty isn't it - you could get a job or it could be a complete waste of a 4 hour round trip and £30 for entry - ddilemma

Chrishoward99 - I'm a fellow North Walian, I'm a little further down the coast in Conwy. Where in Canada are you looking at?

Question still stands - anyone with free or discounted tickets

Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jen246 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stefke,

We went on the Sunday in the afternoon in the hope that it would be quieter, it wasnt! If you want to go to the seminars get there early as even on Sunday afetrnoon we had to stand at the back of the room! Not sure about the rest of the weekend.

Last time we went there were employers, real estate, reps from the various states and shippers. Dont get me wrong 80% of the stands there were no use to us but the 20% that were of use helped us loads.

My OH is a plumber but you should check the expo website, last time it showed what employers were going to be there and what vacancies they had.

Hope that helps!

Jen
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

BritishBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stefke,

We went on the Sunday in the afternoon in the hope that it would be quieter, it wasnt! If you want to go to the seminars get there early as even on Sunday afetrnoon we had to stand at the back of the room! Not sure about the rest of the weekend.

Last time we went there were employers, real estate, reps from the various states and shippers. Dont get me wrong 80% of the stands there were no use to us but the 20% that were of use helped us loads.

My OH is a plumber but you should check the expo website, last time it showed what employers were going to be there and what vacancies they had.

Hope that helps!

Jen
This sounds interesting. Jen, you said something about a website...whats the address?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

BritishBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I might have found it....www.expo-canada.com. Is that the one you mean?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishBunny
I think I might have found it....www.expo-canada.com. Is that the one you mean?
That's the one - there seem to be quite a few employers going, so I'm thinking it may be worth the £30 and maybe more importantly missing the Wales vs all Blacks game
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice

If you search previous threads you will see feedback from previous expos. I wont go over old ground again as i can already feel he blood pressure rising. We did get free tickets but i gave them away because i can only say if it was taking place in my back garden i would close the door and curtains.

It is up to you if you want to go but if you do take comfy shoes, a packed lunch and expect little to no joy and your wallet to be a lot lighter.

One tip to anyone going to the London version the streets behind Olympia are free parking on Sundays so might save a few bob.

As i say see previous threads.

Mark
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Hi

Just wanted to say that we went back to the Leeds Expo back in June and didn't find it of much use. (We only live 5 mins walk from where it was being held so least we didn't need to pay for parking.)

I think it will be useful if you have got your visas sorted and want info about moving etc but if you are looking for jobs, the industry sectors were very limited. last time they were looking for town planners and mining engineers and a few tradespeople.

We went to the Emigrate 2 exhibition down in Sandown in Surrey in Feb and found that one better but probably not worth a full trip down south (we were in London that weekend anyway)

Think they might have one in liverpool if easier- try their website www.emigrate2.co.uk

Hope this helps

Lucy
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

AndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant future

We ae also going along...looking forward to it all, even if it is a waste of time and money...all part of the adventure.
Does anyone know if the kids can come along As I will be taking ours!
Hoping to go early Saturday for the seminars especially the Alberta one. The expo may give us an insight on when to start applying for Visa etc!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice

We took both our kids one aged 3 other 4 months. It was so packed moving the pram was a nightmare. The cafe must have had around 40 seats for, i think they said 8000 over 2 days. When we asked for somewhere to change the baby we were shown the ladies, asked were we could change her it was a choice between the floor or on top of the sinks.

So to answer the question can you take kids yes would i no.

I sound real bitter but it had to be the worst run expo i have ever seen and if you werent planning to go to Alberta there was no other prov. there, well Ontario were there but 1 stall manned by 2 people and a queue that stretched to Toronto.

I can only say earlier this year we were in the same boat as people on here what have we to lose, we will go and see, make a day of it. The thing we lost was £30, a day, 2 very annoyed kids and 110 mile round journey.

Another little tip if you are looking at nursing in Alberta dont sign up with the agencies as they tie you in and you can do it youself for free.

Mark
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

A fairly common theme running through the responses. I think we'll give it a miss and continue with our plan to go to the Sandown show at the back end of Feb 09.

Cheers everyone for your input All of you that end up going, please post your experiences, it'll be interesting to see if we did miss anything.

Right, plans now changed - c'mon Wales, let's beat them All Blacks

Mark...
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

AndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant futureAndyNic08 has a brilliant future

Well we went to the Expo....very disappointed! We expected there to be potential employers there to chat to, instead all we got were leaflets with E-mail addresses to careers advisors. We didnt learn anything new really. And most of the stands were repetitive. We did learn that a 20ft container will cost us around £8000
It wasnt too busy and managed to even get a seat in the cafe bit for coffee
We wont be going to another, as I feel you lot can help us more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.